Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #19 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
valley stream
“Awesome Hotel”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at this Residence Inn during our late spring vacation to Savannah, GA. First let me say what makes this hotel special is the staff. From the moment you check in to the moment you leave, everyone at this property is so friendly and warm.

The hotel has a very nice pool area which is located in the courtyard of the property. The pool area is sunny and quite during the day, a great place to relax after sightseeing.

Monday through Thursday evenings they off no charge tap beer and wine at the hotel lobby bar, as well as light fare food. The breakfast is also no charge and substantial.

Many Marriott hotels are about 20% more expensive than most mid priced hotels but this hotel is WORTH the extra money!

The hotel is located about 1/4 mile walk from the downtown attractions near the river.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
savdv, General Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown Historic District during your recent trip to Savannah! I appreciate you sharing your review of the hotel on TripAdvisor as well!

We have a morning huddle with all hotel associates every morning. It was exciting to be able to share your comments regarding the staff service at this meeting! We love to celebrate when we receive feedback! "Friendly and warm" are adjectives we love to hear and we thank you for sharing this with us!

We look forward to serving you again in the future! Thanks again for your kind comments!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Arabic first
morgantown, wv
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Upon booking this hotel, two months in advance for a business convention and leisure, I origionally booked a two bedroom because I was told at least one of them looks out to a courtyard view. When I called back to just let them know they did not send me an email confirmation, I just wanted to check if they had my room request correct, and was told there were no such thing of the 2 bedrooms overlooking the courtyard. So I had someone else call for me about booking the same type of room and the response was, they definitely had a 2 bedroom overlooking the courtyard, I then spoke with the manager and he said there were none. So clearly someone was not being honest, or had no clue about the hotel, when this happens after calling 3 different times. When we arrived, we were told the rooms were not ready at 4pm. The front desk clerk said he was going to check if they were clean, or what else was available. We were left in the lobby for 25 minutes, now I know elevators can be slow, and given there are not that many floors, I could have ran 2 miles in this amount of time. Finally, wherever he went, on a break maybe? He came back and the rooms were ready, and looked like they had been ready for some time, as housekeeping was nowhere to be seen on that floor.
The good thing, that they were honest about is that the hotel is quiet on most sides. I was very impressed with that, given it is on a major road. The room interior was mostly clean, needed dusting in a few areas, and the only major complaint I have with housekeeping was upon turning down the comforter of the bed, there was a dead spider smashed inside the sheets. Not sure how this was missed. The only other negative of the room I had which was at the very end next to the stairwell was each morning I woke with an awful gas smell in the room, couldn't figure this out, as it wasn't coming from the hallway, until I took the stairs one day and smelled the same obnoxious odor. I found the gas pipes in the stairwell was very close to the bedroom and this is where the unpleasant smell was coming from. I suggest they get the problem checked, it smelled like a small gas leak coming from th stairwell. I checked the other stairs, and no problem.
Overall, despite these problems, I would definitely stay here again, You definitely get alot, including a full kitchen and living area. I have stayed at many Residence Inns across the country, and this one is very nice inside. I would think, with a nice pool and courtyard that they would install a hot tub near the pool with the extra space they have. I would stay here again on my return to Savannah, would hope that the front desk would have it together by then.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near stairwell to avoid gas odor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank lisa f
savdv, General Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and thanks for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay!

I have reviewed your comments with the front desk staff and I have made sure they are aware that none of our two bedroom suites overlook the courtyard. We have recently hired two new associates at the desk and they may not have been aware of the specific location of each room. I believe that I spoke with you after you made your reservation and explained that there were no two bedroom suites which had a courtyard view at that time.

In regards to the gas smell, we have researched this and have not been able to detect a gas smell anywhere in the building. The pipes you saw in the stairwell are water supply lines, not gas lines.

Thanks again for being our guest. If I recall you were here to celebrate your birthday. I hope you had a great celebration. We look forward to serving you again!
Tamuning, Mariana Islands
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Summer rates are ridiculous. In addition if you have a pet they will charge you $100 (which most hotels will discount if you ask them). This hotel won't budge on the rate even when you speak to the manager Donnie. He said ,"we don't negotiate the pet fee here, if you can find another hotel, then you can stay there." Thanks Donnie. I will. Hilton just charged me $37.50. I will give them my business.

• Stayed May 2013
savdv, General Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
It was our pleasure to have you and your pet as a guest at the Residence Inn by Marriott - Savannah Historic District. I regret that you were upset with the amount of the pet fee.

Yes we are pet friendly and we welcome pets, but in order to do so we must charge a pet fee. This fee allows us to sanitize and treat each pet room so that our guest who may have pet allerigies are not effected by our four legged friends. We perform the same treatment in each room regardless of the size of the pet or the length of stay.

The Residence Inn is one of only a few hotels which are pet friendly in the Historic District. No other Marriott product or Hilton hotel in this area will accept pets other than service dogs. I hope that you have a better understanding of why the fee is charged and I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns on TripAdvisor so that other travelers will can make the decesion to stay with our pet friendly hotel.
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I had two free nights to use, but I was a little hesitant to book this hotel, since it is a little further away from the historic district and we have stayed at some less than stellar Residence Inns in the past. Boy, I'm I glad we stayed here! Here's a secret... The entire staff thinks this is a bed and breakfast! You are treated like you are staying with friends or family. From Dennis at the front door, to (I believe her name is) Denae running the breakfast area, you are truly made to feel like a guest. I have never experienced a hotel buffet where the staff seemed truly concerned that you begin your day with a good breakfast. The cocktail hour with snacks was also a very nice touch. It is obvious the staff enjoys what they do, and does whatever they can to make your stay comfortable. If available, request one of the cottage rooms; we had a room that looked out onto a beautiful fountain in the courtyard. Very nice!

1 Thank Poolmantdh
Thanks for being our guest at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown Historic District! It was very nice of you to take the time to post a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor and I sincerely appreciate you mentioning the hotel associates in your review.

Both Danae and Dennis are outstanding associates who have a passion for delivering Service So Memorable to our hotel guests. Both of these associates have been with the hotel since opening four years ago and their smiling faces and wonderful personality have charmed many guests! I will definitely share your comments with them!

Thank you again for your nice comments! I am so glad that we exceeded your expectations! We look forward to you returning to our hotel and having another wonderful stay!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Residence Inn in the Historic area of Savannah. We did not think it was out of the way at all. On the other hand it seemed perfectly located. The DOT free shuttle to downtown stopped right around the corner as was the Savannah visitor centre and the starting point for the trolley tours. Great location.

We have never stayed anywhere with friendlier hotel staff. That includes reception, the people at the bar and breakfast and the people in charge of valet parking. They treated us amazingly well.

When we arrived on Thursday evening we had free welcome drinks at the bar. They do have some sort of reception every night during the week but not on weekends. We chatted with other guests and Crystal the bar tender gave us all sorts of tips for places to eat etc. She was so helpful.

Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and better managed than some Residence Inns we have visited. Sometimes when too many guests come at the same time it can be chaotic. That wasn't the case here.

The pool area is really lovely. The garden is quaint and they even have a fire pit. It was really nice sitting outside for breakfast in the morning.

The hotel was in good shape with just a couple of downsides. We were two couples sharing a two bedroom suite. The suite was a little worn in places, frayed carpet and a few small cracks in the counters but that didn't bother us at all.

However one bedroom had two queen beds and a dresser and closet with mirrored doors. The other bedroom had one king and absolutely no dresser or drawers. Even the closet did not have a door or any full-length mirror. That was a little annoying.

The other more annoying thing was that the air conditioning all came from the room with the single King bed. If the door was closed at night it was sweltering in the other room. Because we are family we managed to keep the bedroom doors open most nights, unless someone forgot and bumped the door closed during the night, when using the washroom.

I would think that these rooms are due for renovation and when that happens I hope they add a dresser and fix the air so that it works in both rooms.

Nonetheless if we were going back to Savannah, we would recommend this hotel highly. We loved our time there.

1 Thank Spriglet
We appreciate you choosing the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown Historic District while in Savannah. Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor as well! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate your feedback!

I have shared your comments with Crystal. She is a great associate and she really takes care of all of her guests! She takes great pride in her work and it is always nice to be able to share comments such as yours with her.

Your comments regarding the air conditioner and the furninshings are helpful as well. I have passed them along to our ownership group. We are one year away from our first renovation and these items are very helpful as we begin to make plans for this important upgrade. Our guest feedback is critical to our continued success!

Thank you again for being our guest,! We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I had two free nights to use at a Marriott so we were going on vacation and picked this hotel to use it in. I am so glad we picked this hotel! We were given a room in the Snell (I think it was called that) Cottage. The room was spacious and nice. We did the free parking on the road and didn't have any problems with it. The best part---we walked every day to the areas we wanted to and didn't jump in the car once to go anywhere in town. You are so close to the visitor's center (the next block over) and you are about 10 minutes walking to the main area of Savannah. The breakfast is also REALLY good here. Plenty of food and very nice breakfast attendant. I definitely recommend this place and would stay here again in a second!

1 Thank allyouneedistara
Thanks for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Savannah Downtown Historic District for your recent stay in Savannah. We enjoyed serving you! Thanks also for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the nice comments.

As you mentioned our location is within walking distance of historic venues, restaurants, bars and shopping. Guests also have access to the complimentary DOT shuttle which picks up at our front door every 30 minutes. You can enjoy your stay without ever having to get in your car. All this in one of the most quiet areas in downtown.

We hope that you will be our guest again very soon! Thanks again for your feedback.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was very impressed by the Residence Inn. The rooms were updated, spacious, and clean. The lobby and hallways were in perfect condition as well, even more so than some of the high end hotels I have stayed in. They had a very extensive complimentary breakfast spread, and a free happy hour each night. The hotel is not in center of it all like the Bohemian, Andaz, or Hyatt, but you are only a few minutes walk from the main avenues that provide a scenic stroll to the River.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
savdv, General Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of the Residence inn by Marriott Savannah Historic District. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Savannah. I appreciate the kind comments about our staff. I will be sure to pass your feedback along to everyone on our team.

While the Residence Inn is not located on the major arteries which run through the Historic District, we are conveniently located next to the Savannah Visitors Center and steps away from many restaurants, bars and historic venues which are a must see while in Savannah. The city of Savannah operates a fare free shuttle which picks up our guests at our front door and will shuttle you throughout the historic district free of charge. This service is an excellent option to driving as parking can be a challange downtown.

Thanks again for staying with us. i hope that when you return you will be our guest and enjoy all the wonderful amenites our hotel has to offer. Whether it be a dip in the pool, a cocktail by the firepit, or a night on the town, our staff is here and eager to make sure your stay is one you will remember!

Donnie Morgan