“Excellent and informative Tour”
Review of Black History Tour

Black History Tour
Book In Advance
$40.59*
and up
Ranked #62 of 144 Tours in Savannah
Riverside, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellent and informative Tour”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This tour was fabulous. Mr Johnny was very informative and full of African American history. I was so moved with the experience and learned a lot about my culture. I recommend this tour to everyone visiting the area. The tour was thorough and included intimate viewings of historic sites. When the tour was over I commented to my husband that I thought the tour was around four hours when it was actually only two hours. He had give us some much information that I thought it was longer than what it actually was.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank Fefy1

Jacksonville, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A lot of speculation”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Johnny Brown was very professional. He has a couple of documentary DVDs that he uses in conjunction with his tour. But I'm not sure how they fit in. There were bits and pieces of the footage he showed that was relevant to what he was explaining. When a question was asked, he didn't really answer it, instead talked about something he thought was connected to the question. However, his tour was informative. And I appreciate what information he did provide.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Brandy D
philadelphia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“ditto others' kudos but needs to be responsive to questions”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I agree with others' comments about the side of Savannah history you don't get. J.B. is a passionate disciple of WW Law, who was largely responsible for unearthing (literally) buried local AA history. He is doing original research almost singlehandedly and provides a unique look with a personal perspective. I did feel that a machine was conducting my tour at times - he was almost totally unresponsive to questions, as if he didn't hear them. He is a man on a mission, an admirable one, but factor the glassiness factor into your expectations.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank philandcarolyn
Falls Church, Virginia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Outstanding Tour and History Lesson!!!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you only do one tour in Savannah, this is the one! Mr. Brown is like a walking history book with the ability to impart that knowledge on the young and old. We visited many sites, including The First African Baptist Church (the oldest black church in North America), Slave burial grounds, the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum just to name a few. If you are organizing for a group, I highly recommend this tour. I contacted Mr. Brown a couple of months in advanced and arranged a private group tour for our Class Reunion. He picked us up at our hotel (arrived about 20 minutes early) in a like-new very clean mini-bus. The bus had four DVD monitors which Mr. Brown used to help with the history lesson (using PBS specials) while we were riding between sites. In addition, not everyone booked in time to stay at the same hotel, Mr. Brown went out of his way to picked them up also. Mr. Brown was very friendly and took the time to answer all questions. I can honestly say everyone learned something and many in the group were thinking of using Savannah for Family Reunions and using this tour as the main attraction. I will definitely be promoted this tour every chance I get.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank gilbertgl
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Organization and scholarship are lacking.”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were rushed and did not complete the the civil rights museum, likely because there was a large family reunion taking up space. Johnnie's mentee, a college undergraduate, lacked historical accuracy and composure.

Visited July 2013