“A nice affordable stay for a weekend in Savannah”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown
Ranked #72 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We'd recommend this hotel for its staff, convenience and affordability. The staff at the hotel were very nice and welcoming. It's also great that you can park at the hotel for free (not something you can always do in the historic/touristy sections of Savannah).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julie a
Chris M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Hello and thanks for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Savannah Midtown. Please contact me direct if you are in the area again.

912-629-0900 ext 7015

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This hotel has the ability to be really great. The location is easily accessible, newer, and not far from everything in Savannah. The prices aren't that bad either. However, there is a BIG problem here......management, or lack of.

There doesn't seem to be much of a presence of management, therefore, the housekeeping staff runs rampant and does pretty much whatever they want!

Upon arrival, we had 3 rooms booked about 6 weeks in advance - king suites, all of them. When checking in, they said they only had one available, and regardless of my prepaid reservation, they could only give us 1 king suite! Ridiculous! After 2 days and 4 conversations with "management", I got a refund for the difference between the rooms, but not really any apology.

Another thing I noticed was that the building was under some sort of construction, with scaffolding everywhere, plastic hanging all over the building, loud workers everywhere, construction materials and equipment taking up half the parking lot, etc. There was no mention of this when making the reservation. We had to move one of the rooms because the hammering and noise outside the window was amazingly loud all day long.

While waiting out front for our other family members to arrive, there was a large group of housekeepers out front in a group and in a car blocking the check-in area in front of the main entrance. They were eating, singing, laughing loudly, and acting very inappropriately, all right there in front of all the guests checking in.

They boast a hot breakfast complimentary every day, and they do have quite a setup for it, which is nice. However, the housekeeping staff rarely checks and stocks it, so everything is empty and cold throughout. One morning while trying to find one of the 6 coffee dispensers that might actually have coffee in it, a housekeeper came up, joked about there not being any coffee, then proceeded to fill her own cup with the last few drops of coffee, use the last 3 sugar packets, and start drinking it while walking away!!!!! Any other hotel would have fired her on the spot.

After being gone from 7:30am to about 3pm the next day, we all returned to our rooms to find that none of them had been serviced with any type of housekeeping! I called the front desk to tell them, and they said they were behind and someone would be coming by to clean it. After another hour of waiting in a dirty room, a housekeeper knocked on the door and offered towels. When we questioned her about the service, she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. After practically demanding the room be cleaned, she reluctantly said she would but made sure to tell us many times that she got off work in 30 minutes. We then went down to the front desk to talk to a "manager". She reluctantly got off her chair and said she would "take care of it", without even an apology. After an hour, they rooms had their sheets changed and towels restocked, but nothing else had been touched.

Each morning while leaving to go out for the day, the housekeepers played amazingly loud music in the rooms they were cleaning that could be heard down the hallways and into the adjacent rooms. Also, they use the main guest elevator, and there is only one really slow one, to carry their laundry carts and cleaning cars up and down, and will even push in front of you to get on the elevator first, so guests have to slide up against the wall of the elevator to fit in.

All in all, the staff at this hotel is amazingly rude, lazy, inattentive, and grossly undermanaged. I don't think any of them have had any hospitality training, and have no idea how to treat a guest.

If you are planning to stay in Savannah, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank WERDBOYNC
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear WERDBOYNC,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Savannah.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Had to wait a while to be checked in & our room did not get cleaned one day. But the staff was nice & friendly. The hotel was clean & inviting. The breakfast was very good. Will use again on future visits

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shaw8bro
Chris M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Savannah Midtown. We take pride in our complimentary breakfast. Next time you are in Savannah, stop by the desk and say hello.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We enjoyed Savannah, but our experience at this hotel was terrible. I travel so much for work that I've eventually gained Platinum status with IHG-International Hotels Group as well as other hotels and groups. I know the hotel rules, the do's and the don'ts. This trip to Savannah was with my boyfriend and non-work related. A few days after we checked out I noticed a charge for $250 on my credit card. When I called I was told that I had been charged for smoking in the room. For 3 days I was bounced back and forth with the General Manager, Chris, and the Assistant Manager, Simone. No one would call me back and it wasn't until I got aggressive that I finally spoke to someone. I was told that the room smelled like smoke and that is why I was charged. They have no evidence of smoking or anything. Yes, we are smokers but we didn't smoke in the room, room 425. If we wanted to smoke in the room we would have reserved a smoking room. We dont even smoke in our own home. If they looked at the security cameras, they would see that we stepped out the back door to have a cigarette even though it was raining and we didn't have an umbrella. And another thing, the back door of the hotel is not secured. Its open and unlocked all night and you don't need your key card to enter. How do I know? I discovered it when I went OUTSIDE to smoke. If the room really smelled like cigarettes, its probably from the guests before us and because the rooms aren't cleaned properly. The toilet had a gray ring on the bowl, there was mildew on the shower curtain, and the bathroom door doesn't shut. I called the IHG corporate office to file a complaint and was told that will let Chris, the GM, know and that he would be calling me back. I never got a call. This is my first negative experience with any Holiday Inn hotels. Unless you dont mind being accused and fined for something you didn't do, STAY AWAY FROM THIS PARTICULAR HOTEL.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 425. Its dirty, the bathroom door is broken, smells like cigarettes and you w...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kat606
Chris M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Savannah Midtown. After speaking with my staff about your issue, we adjusted off half of the $250.00 fee. We were sold out and could not rent your room after it was occupied. Once again I do apologize but we were forced to uphold the policy we have in place.

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Paul is very professional and a great people person who took prompt care of our needs. The room was excellent, very quiet and the breakfast was good as always. We have stayed here numerous times and were highly satisfied with the hotel and the staff.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank BLM69
Chris M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your nice comment. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to reward Paul for his great service.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel is about a 15 minute drive from the downtown core, and the price reflects the distance. Having said that, everything is what any traveller would want. Spacious, clean rooms with quality bed, pillows and linens making getting up early a tough thing to do. Check-out of 11:00 am would make that possible, but don't miss the complimentary breakfast served to 10:00 am.

The staff is smiling and helpful, always a welcome sight after a day on the road.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank MikeTLondon
Chris M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you so much for he nice comment. I hope you had a safe trip back to Canada. :)

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We were put in a hand-cap accessible room by the elevator. The bathroom was dimly lit and had an iron & ironing board on the wall. It was more comparable to a laundry room. The next day we returned to our room a little after 4p.m. and it had not been cleaned. After a very long encounter with the manager a member of the housekeeping staff overheard and offered to help. We left for a few hours and returned to find our door propped open by the lock. The walls are paper thin. You hear doors closing and walking early in the morning and late at night. It is a long drive to the historical district. Save yourself and book somewhere else!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bum1994
Chris M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Hello,

First let me apologize for any in convenience that you may have experienced at the Holiday Inn Express. We are under renovation and we expect it to be over mid May 2014. If you come back to the area, please contact me direct and I will personally make sure your next visit is a perfect 10.