“2013 4th of July get away”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown
Ranked #72 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Concerns about cleanliness of bathroom floor. It was tacky (sticky).
Strange half pillows on king size beds.
Express breakfast was barely tolerable. Watery flavorless eggs. Only bananas offered in the way of fruit. Pancake machine was broken and only breakfast meat offered was sausage during the two days we were there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Savannah Midtown. The Holiday Inn Brands of hotels are changing the pillow standard. This seems to be a high demand for our guest. I would like to apologize for the watery eggs. I will check to see if they are being cooked properly.

If you are back in the Savannah area, please contact me so I can make sure your stay is a perfect 10.

Yours In Service,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This Hotel had all of the cleanliness I expect from HI Express. All of the Staff were super friendly. There are plenty of restaurant's and shopping near by. The breakfast was so-so. The pancake machine was broken, juice was yuck! The eggs were runny, no fruit and on our 2nd day there was no gravy and the bread was stale. We stay at HI Expresses a lot and we know what the breakfast is like and 90% of the time it is nice. I am thinking the juice was yuck, due to the water. I will say all of the water had a sulfur smell to it. Like rotten eggs. All of the water all over town was definitely hard. I noticed at all of the restaurant's we ate at the chrome fixtures were stained due to the water. I was surprised by this due to this being a big city. All of the water tasted and smelled like well water without a softener. Our room was very clean and housekeeping did an awesome job. The area felt safe to us and we were about 15 minutes form River Street which, was nice because we wanted to be close but not too close.

Room Tip: The suite was roomy. We had 2 Queen beds and a double pull out couch.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Chris M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for visiting the Holiday Inn Express Savannah Midtown. On your next visit to Savannah contact me direct and will give you a complimentary upgrade :).

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We choose this hotel for a few reasons: price, free breakfast, refrigerator, and brand name.

This hotel is about 30 mins from the beach i.e. the good price but that's where the good things end.

Breakfast is bad, only able to eat the muffins. There was no refrigerator in the room as listed on the reservation either.

On our third day after leaving the hotel at 10am for the beach we arrived back after 2pm. Our room was not cleaned, we had no clean towels to wash with either. So we called the front desk to ask if they would send someone up to clean. We were told they would get right on it.

We wait downstairs to wait and asked the young lady at the front desk how long it might be and she responded "I have no idea." We wait outside thirty minutes then went back to the room. Nothing had been touched. Spoke to the lady at the front again and she said "we'll I told the head of housekeeping so I did what I was supposed to do." I asked to speak with the manager and was told they were not in on Sundays. I went to the room and found a person cleaning and she said she hadn't gotten to it. The only helpful person was the head of house cleaning. She came by and heard me and got right on it herself. Told me it would be 15 mins. At this point I called corporate guest services and found out not only was a manager available.

The manager called to the room after it was cleaned and offered me a bottle of WATER for my trouble. Which added insult to injury. I would never stay here again. They should make the head of housekeeping manager. She's the only one who seems to even care about the customer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Savannah Midtown. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced with us. Every disappointment we use as a learning experience. Next visit to Savannah, contact me direct and I can make certain that we will make it right.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a few days when we were in town for a wedding. It was nicer than expected. The halls looked freshly painted, the common areas were always clean and smelled nice. The room was clean, didn't smell musty or anything. The bed was very comfortable, good water pressure in the shower. We did not use the pool but it looked clean. We also did not eat the breakfast...Krispie Kreme is right across the street. :) It is close to a lot of restaurants and in the middle of two malls down the road. The staff was very accommodating. Jonathan at the front desk was so helpful!! We didn't look to see if the room came with a fridge (normal rooms don't apparently) and we were traveling with a baby. They got us a refrigerator for the room and a microwave so we could keep milk for him. We were so happy! I couldn't have asked for better service!

The only con: When they cleaned our room one day they didn't vacuum or take out one of the trash cans. We were stuck with a trash can full of dirty diapers for another day. But the following day we didn't ask for service but someone still stopped by later to see if we wanted more towels and asked if we wanted our trash taken out. Guess it just depends on who is cleaning that day how well they do.

If we were ever to travel to Savannah again (which we dont!), I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travellvr09

Hello travellvr09,

I am so happy that you were happy with your stay. We take great pride in pleasing all of our guest. If you are ever back in the Savannah area, please contact me direct so I can great you as a return guest.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family stayed in this hotel due to a soccer tournament and was one of the required locations. I would recommend that they clean the carpets in the room, add a microwave and refrigerator. The beds were very comfortable, but for some reason housekeeping did not come and when I checked on it, they handed me towels and trash bags. They did apologize for the inconvenience and were very helpful with others things that I inquired about. This hotel is near a lot of shopping and food locations and a straight drive to the historic district.

Room Tip: I have been told that if you are going to stay here, pay extra for a suite.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Wyndyj,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I visit Savannah often for work and generally stay in Holiday Inn properties to accumulate rewards points. This hotel is a compromise--location at a rate that doesn't bust my price cap, no parking fees, but the rooms aren't the cleanest and the staff clearly would rather be elsewhere. No matter what room I stay in, tile floors are always sticky (sometimes with dirty shoe prints), tables are permanently streaked with some sort of cleaning product gone wrong, lamps and TV covered in weird fuzz and dust. Front desk either empty or staffed by folks who avoid contact. No comparison to cleanliness of rooms/service out by 95/airport but closer to restaurants, shopping, etc. Beds/pillows offer the same high level of comfort typical of this chain. Acceptable for business travel. I'd be more disappointed if I chose this property for vacation.

Room Tip: Even if you've selected a room with fridge/microwave, you may not get them; room changes are qui...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear LizBiz2013,

Thank you for the candid review of our hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are very sorry for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel's best feature is the location to Historic Savannah without the astronomical room rates closer in. It's a straight 20 min. drive down Abercorn into the historic district, and there are many good restaurants and shops in the vicinity of the hotel. Also, the breakfasts here were far superior to what we encountered at a La Quinta in Charleston... there was ham and scrambled eggs every morning which I appreciated over cold cereal. The staff was always personable, room was clean. Only negative was on our last day we returned that evening to our room to find the door had been left ajar (the metal stick to prop door open had been turned toward the door) for the entire day, by the maid we are assuming. My husband was quite upset and let the clerk know if anything was stolen from our room, he'd be contacting the GM. Fortunately, we did not find anything gone, but that was quite a large oversight by the maid (or whoever) to leave our door open all day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Chris M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Savannah-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Savannah Midtown. Next time your are in the Savannah Area, please stop by the desk so I can introduce myself. Thanks again.

Yours in service,