“Excellent hotel, near I-95 but far from the historic district”

Baymont Inn & Suites Savannah South
Ranked #43 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Rochester, New York
“Excellent hotel, near I-95 but far from the historic district”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Our experience at this hotel was excellent: spotlessly clean room, comfortable bedding, nice breakfast with a good selection of items. We arrived early due to a minor illness, and they let us check in around noon. We paid a very low price, and received excellent value.

The only drawback is that this location is a good 20-25 minute drive from historic Savannah. It is very convenient to I-95, and has a generous selection of chain restaurants nearby. For anything more interesting, you'll have to drive a ways.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel during the weekend of May 3rd for 2 nights. We got into Savannah fairly early and had a chance to look at some other hotels in the area and finally decided on this one because the staff took the time to show us a room and they were more than happy to answer our questions about the area. As we have never been to Savannah before we needed directions to downtown. The clerk was very helpful in getting us there on the trolley tour. The rooms were clean and smelled good. There was an issue with the television upon check-in, but the maintenance man came down promptly and rectified the situation (batteries in the remote). At an exit with more than 20 hotels, I was glad we chose this one as our place to stay for our family vacation.

Room Tip: 3rd Floor, Great View!
2 Thank Jeff C
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 10, 2012

If you are looking to staying in Savannah, I would not stay here. The Super 8 across the parking lot is almost identical if you want a newer hotel for less. It might not be any better, but at least it is priced lower.

The bathroom was disgusting with moldy shower current, grease ring around the tub, and mold in the cracks of the shower liner walls. There was even trash on the floor from some former occupant. When I asked to speak to the manager on duty, supposedly Dean Patel. I was told he wouldn't be in until at least Monday. When I mentioned the sign saying he was on duty, the front desk person said they never have a manager on duty and the staff as a whole was about to quit.

The breakfast bar was awful. stale pastries, broken toaster, frozen toaster waffles on a plate, no protein, etc. Even the fruit was well past its prime. I watched the old Indian couple cleaning a room. The woman swirled a brush around the toilet before restocking the bathroom. The shower/tub wasn't touched. The man stripped the bed and on to the next room they went. I can only assume they were low on sheets and had to wash the thin sheets to put them back on the bed.

I did leave a note with the numerous complaints, including the broken boxspring under my mattress for the manger who was supposed to be in 4 days ago after being off Thursday through Sunday. I haven't heard from him; not a phone call, voicemail, or email.

2 Thank Erich W
Georgiatraveler31, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Savannah South, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
As you can read from our previous reviews, we strive hard to provide the best and cleanest accommodations possible to our guests. I sincerely apologize that you were disappointed with your stay. It is never our intention for a guest to leave dissatisfied for any reason. Your stay was during a special event for our area which resulted in the rate being slightly higher. This was clear when your reservation was made as well as when you checked into the hotel. We called your room shortly after you had the opportunity to get settled in to make sure your accommodations were well appointed and to your satisfaction, at which time you said they were. Not until your departure did you mention any of the issues noted above. Rest assured, had you informed us of any problems or issues during your stay we would have gladly taken any measures necessary to make your stay an enjoyable one, whether it meant moving you to another room or even relocating you to another hotel. My apologies again. If in the future you stay at this Baymont or any other and have an issue of any kind, please let us know right away so they we can work towards fixing it. Thank you for your comments and they will be reviewed with our entire staff to be used as a means to continue to improve for our future guests.
freeport, ny
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We travelled from Fort Lauderdale to New York recently & this was our first stop. It was the best sleep of our whole trip. The beds were amazing. Big pillow top & great pillows. Very clean & the staff were helpful & friendly. Did not have breakfast, opted to visit the riverfront before moving onward. The motel was very convenient to US95 but a bit far from Historic Savannah.
I would definitely recommmend this stop.
As an extra travel tip ( which we learned on our next stopover)...check out hotel guides in the area gas stations for BIG money saving coupons for motels. The booklet is called HotelCoupons.

1 Thank Boot-crazed
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We just spent 2 nights at this hotel and found it to be quite comfortable, with a pleasantly firm bed, which is a must for my back. The entire property was quite clean, except for a ring of mildew between the bath tub and shower surround, which I didn't notice until I was considering having a soak in the tub, although I can't see how housekeeping could miss it if they are bending down and cleaning the tub on a daily basis. As I didn't notice it sooner, I didn't report it until I was checking out, so I can't say whether the staff cleaned it quickly or not. Otherwise, I found this hotel to be very acceptable.

Room Tip: Our room on the second floor facing the other hotel which shares the parking lot with this one was v...
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kjwh
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

On a trip down the east coast to Florida, we figured our best stopping point for the night would be Savannah. This was TA's highest rated property off the S Savannah exit of I95. It was also a chain we were unfamiliar with. As retirees we were looking for a clean value oriented hotel and were a bit disappointed in this one.

First, the property is near new, clean and with a friendly staff. The beds are just OK, but livable. The two complaints we would have center around poor acoustics and the breakfast. You can hear everything from above you... people walking down the hall, kids jumping around, etc.

As for the breakfast, here is what was served... Toaster waffles sitting out on a pile next to a toaster with a jug of syrup, 3 kinds of cereal (mostly sweet) in a dispenser next to a pitcher of milk, bagels with cream cheese, sweet rolls, bananas and scrawny looking apples. Oh, and the coffee is instant, whipped up for you fresh!

We routinely stay in Fairfield, Comfort Inn, Hampton, etc. when traveling, and they all have better fruit, brewed coffee, and protein in the form of eggs and/or yogurt. Baymont should have such as well or we are all just going to get fatter and fatter! We won't stay here again.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank LudingtonMi
Durham NC
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel one night on our way to FL. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was VERY clean. This will be our place to stop while traveling.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family