“Check out Wiley's”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We really wanted some good BBQ on our last night in Savannah & Tybee area and found Wiley's Championship BBQ (tip: in the same plaza as five guys). This place was perfect, we loved the food. Sorry we missed out on the ribs and mac/cheese but everything was so good. The service was wonderful and we felt right at home.

jan3t, Owner at Wiley's Championship BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

G_Family_07,

I'm glad you enjoyed the comfort of our place. When we first opened, our goal was to create a "Cheers" like bar....it didn't matter whether you were from Savannah, or not from Savannah, we wanted to create a place everyone felt at home. Since you missed out on the ribs and mac n' cheese, that's definitely a sign you will have to come back, and make us your first stop.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

we were visiting Savannah for July 4th weekend, I heard of Wileys just by internet search, wanted to give it try, I was a bit Apprehensive as this small bbq joint is located in a very small strip mall, we arrived a few minutes before 5pm Saturday , they were closed, i noticed on the door there hours are 11am - 3pm / 5pm - 9pm, so we stayed outside until they reopend at 5pm. so I figured ok two strikes (small strip mall / close in the middle of the day?) they took our order we ordered st. louis BBQ ribs, pulled pork and added burnt ends and beans and coleslaw. MAN! this BBQ was good! I didnt want it to end, I got a little sad as I was finishing my meal, koodos to the pitmaster what a wonderful BBQ experience. bannana pudding is also great. next time we are in Savannah we will with a doubt be back. thanks for the Q it was great.

Nostresss8,

I wish all of our customers were as kind as you, it would make out job so much easier. Don't get sad, get glad! Next time you are in, don't worry about overeating, eat to your heart's delight because we give out free naps with every meal (Ha!).

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Small place and we had to sit at the counter this time, but that turned out to be a good thing as Mrs. Wiley came in and wound up sitting next to us and we had a great conversation with her about the restaurant, their new book, etc. Best brisket anywhere we've been. Only wish it was closer.

To my friends at the counter:

I was glad you were able to join me. It sometimes gets lonely up there at the counter, and I enjoyed our visit. Yes, we are very proud of our brisket...it's one of our prized items. It only took me six years to learn how to cook it properly. I hope you are enjoying our book and make a point to come back soon.

Wiley & Janet

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Great lunch and Jeremy's suggestions were delicious! Burnt Ends and ribs with Best Ever baked beans, collards and sweet potato...great beer selection so Yummy...Wiley's is our new favorite BBQ in town...Our new fav!

jan3t, Owner at Wiley's Championship BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Bellville,
Glad you discovered Wiley's Championship BBQ, and Jeremy's suggestions were so pleasing to your palate. Next time you come in, make a point of introducing yourself.

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We were really impressed by all the trophies, etc that they have all over the restaurant and had high expectations because of this, but I wouldn't say it's any better than any other local BBQ joints. The meat and sauce were definitely good, but we were unimpressed by the sides- especially the Mac and cheese, which I think was Parmesan based. The restaurant was clean and the service was great, but I would probably only eat here again if I was already passing by. Expect a good meal, but I prefer the BBQ spots near the historic district.

3  Thank Christa R

Christa R.,
I must admit that I had more than a little trouble connecting with the word "hype". Over 12 years on the professional BBQ circuit, cooking across the country, and 31 years in BBQ, I can't seem to fit in the word hype. And I must also admit I don't know how to cook BBQ and make it taste like anything other than BBQ. As I stated in another review, our goal when we opened was to have the sides be as good as anything else on the menu. Taste is subjective, so I guess it comes down to the fact that you can't please all people all the time. Thanks for giving us a try, and we're glad you found our restaurant to be clean and the service to be pleasing.