“Best Barbeque I've had in a looong time!”

Wiley's Championship BBQ
Ranked #8 of 883 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Wiley's BBQ has won awards and deservedly so! The restaurant is a bit small...I have eaten outside most visits but the food is plentiful and the wait staff is attentive and very nice...even when you eat outside. My daughter really loves the barbeque served on a baked potato and the potato is HUGE! We had one particularly picky eater with us on one trip and even he loved Wiley's! Their chocolate pecan pie is wonderful as well.

jan3t, Owner at Wiley's Championship BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear Vicki,
Thank you for your kind description of our restaurant as a “bit small!” We certainly are!! We are wondering if your daughter was able to consume that huge #1 Spud??? It is especially nice to know that we were able to satisfy your picky eater. See you soon!

There are newer reviews for Wiley's Championship BBQ

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I ate lunch here on our trip, and we were not disappointed. It is a little out of the way - you do need a car to get here as it's definitely too far from Savannah to walk or even bicycle, but you won't be disappointed if you go (only about 10-15 minutes max by car).

The service was informally friendly, the interior is classic bbq joint and the food rocks!! Wiley himself was seated near the bar and was chatting with customers at the bar.

For food, we had fried pickles for an app, then we each had the pulled pork platter - LOVED. For sides I got sweet potato fries, sweet potato casserole - all were excellent. I forget which ones my husband selected, but he loved his also. For dessert, we split the bread pudding - another fabulous dish. I normally don't even like bread pudding, but this was Delish!

We would go back in a second, and plan to stop more than once next time we visit Savannah.

Dear Lynnlynn,
We actually had a food writer from NYC this past summer ride a bike from downtown. Not an easy feat and he was more than happy to accept a ride back to town in our pickup…so anything is possible! We are glad you and husband enjoyed our food and service, and next time you come in, please make a point of introducing yourself.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Best meal yet, and we're on our 5th day of vaca. Nachos...awesome. Pulled pork....phenomenal. Ribs....succulent. Potato salad is nice...mayo w/ garlic chives? Mac and cheese tastes like home made...again w/ a garlic accent. PB pie...to die for. Service has been the BEST out of all places we've visited.

Codmaster,
Our wait staff is sooo pleased with your review of their service. We all take great pride in providing outstanding customer service. That was our vision when we opened this little joint…to make it feel like you are a guest in our home! So glad you had a great visit.
Janet

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The diner was quite busy with regulars and tourists alike. All were treated equally. There were two of us for dinner, and not realizing how big the meal would be we each ordered a sampler BBQ dinner...this was a whole lot of meat (which we ended up taking over 1/2 out with us for the next day). The meal was okay, but I guess with all the hype and how busy it was I thought it would be better than it was...let's just say it didn't leave me smacking my lips thinking that was the best BBQ I've ever had as I didn't find the meat very tender/juicy.

1  Thank cindy l

Cindy,
I am surprised that our servers let you each order a sampler. One is really enough for two to share. I apologize for the oversight. After reading your review, is this a response to the food you ate in our restaurant, or a review of your leftovers that were consumed the next day? The chicken, pork, brisket and ribs are all best when they are eaten piping hot and fresh from the kitchen. Reheating bbq is not ideal. Perhaps that might be the reason your “meat” was not tender and juicy.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Traveled to Savannah with friends recently. I had been craving BBQ for weeks and one of my friends said we will have to try Wiley's the best BBQ around. They were right. Service is great. The wait is not too long. The Food is FABULOUS. I ordered the burnt tips with sweet potatoe fries and macaroni & cheese. There were 4 of us. We ordered 2 servings of the onion rings. They were so deliious we ordered a 3rd. LOL! We'll be back soon.

2  Thank Marian A
jan3t, Owner at Wiley's Championship BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Marian A,
I'm glad we were able to provide you with your BBQ 'food fix' while you were in Savannah! I know what it means to when you get a craving...believe it or not, mine is usually spaghetti and meatballs. You landed on the right day, as our homemade beer battered onion rings are only done on Saturdays! And DO come back soon, as you have promised!