“Atmosphere and Consistent quality” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wiley's Championship BBQ

Wiley's Championship BBQ
Ranked #13 of 857 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Augusta, Georgia
“Atmosphere and Consistent quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I generally consider BBQ as either good or bad - there is very little latitude when you cook meat for hours until it falls off the bone and then cover it in sauce. Wiley's ribs and pulled pork are both very well cooked. They have the tenderness from slow cooking but still maintain some of the consistency and taste of the original cut of meat. Wiley's sauce is good, not great and it doesn't necessarily separate itself from the pack.

On the other hand I felt COMPLETELY at home at Wiley's and recommend a stop by here whenever you're headed to Tybee or Wilmington. Service was friendly, the storefront is small and homey, and they don't try to do more than their original goal. My wife and I both enjoyed our dinner and will return here often.

The ribs were fine, but the pulled pork sandwich was different in a great way. Instead of a big glob of unrecognizable and dripping pork, this sandwich is served on texas toast with meat that is maintained in large chunks, almost like it was halfway between the whole roast and the final product you'd find at an average BBQ joint.

Our bill came out around 40$ for 2 beers, 1 sandiwch, 4 ribs, 3 sides. Seemed a bit pricey but not a price point that would make me hesitant to return.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Devon T

Ball, LA
“Delicious Barbeque & Super Friendly Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

It's true that the locals can tell you the best places to eat! On a recent trip to Tybee Island, my husband and I visited the Visitors Center and the helpful lady there recommended Wiley's to us for lunch. Just a few minutes from where we were staying on Tybee, Wiley's lived up to her recommendation for sure! We loved it so much the first time that we actually went twice during the week we were there, both of us ordering different things each time, and we were never disappointed! The "burnt ends" sandwich was the best! My husband's favorite "trip-treat" was the bottle of their barbeque sauce we got while we were there. Can't wait to use it and relive our vacation again!

2 Thank GerilynW
Minnesota
“Ridiculously good. GO HERE.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

It's rare that every single thing on our three plates impressed us, but it was true here. Each of the three of us got a different main dish and sides, and all of them were terrific. The ribs are the perfect combination of firm and fall-of-the-bone moist. The brisket has just the right amount of smoky delightfulness. And the burnt ends--WOW! One of the few BBQ places I've been to that allows you to order the burnt ends as an item on their own, and they were to DIE FOR. Service was wonderful--very friendly waitress without being overbearing. Even the music was pitch-perfect: good blues music that isn't played too loudly so that it interferes with your enjoyment of the meal. And all of this in a non-descript strip mall on the outskirts of Savannah (but a strip mall that's weirdly crammed with eating places). Nicely done, guys!

Visit this place! We hope to go again before our week here is done.

3 Thank CrabberWheels
Kent, Washington
“Championship is right!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

If sumptuous surroundings are what you're after, this isn't for you. But if you like great barbecue, this is IT! First place, it's pretty small, an inline store in a strip center with six tables and five seats at the counter. Unfortunately, we got there on the Monday after St. Patrick's Day and as a result of a crush of business the ribs were sold out - and you can't just throw more ribs on the fire and get a quality product. It takes six or eight hours of slow cooking. We had burnt ends (brisket for the non-initiated). Excellent. Excellent onion rings. Excellent beans and slaw. Even the wine by the glass was good. The wait staff and kitchen staff both all obviously liked each other and liked what they were doing. Service was prompt and caring. And to,top it all off, contrary to other barbecue places I've been to, clean as a whistle. It's easy to see why there are so many five dot ratings, and it got ours as well.

2 Thank Arthur B
“Vacation lunch number 1”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Let's say this place was and is wayyyyy better than the dinner I ate last night from their neighbors ( Uncle Bubba's) . We were greeted by a young lady , that immediately told my family that they were out of chicken, and ribs... I was like, what's left? A young man, that worked there, interjected and told me what to order and the best thing for my money on the menu. He was very helpful and polite. I ate a pulled pork sandwich that was delicious. My husband ate a BBQ bake potato that was huge and left him stuffed. My kids also had the pulled pork ( only thing they had at 230pm), it was tender and tasted great. I would recommend this spot. The food was marvelous, wish I had arrived earlier for the ribs.

• 3 of 5 bubbles