“Place gives me issues” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Savannah's Ghost Encounter Walking Tour
Ranked #36 of 210 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: The Sorrel- Weed House operates Historic Savannah Tours and Haunted Ghost Tours in Savannah. Our purpose is to educate the public on the rich neoclassical Greek Revival architecture of the Sorrel- Weed House and the the famous architect Charles Cluskey who designed it, along with and the cultural history of antebellum Savannah Georgia. A focus is also maintained on Civil War Savannah, and the role of Brigadier General Moxley Sorrel CSA. Moxley served under General James Longstreet and wrote "Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer". We also operate Haunted Ghost Tours in Savannah, as The Sorrel- Weed House was featured on Ghost Hunters with Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson in 2005, HGTV "If These Walls Could Talk" in 2006, the Travel Channel in 2010, (the Most Terrifying Places in America) and Ghost Adventures with Zak Bagans, Nick Groff and Aaron Goodwin in 2014. In January 1940 - The Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks opened the Sorrel- Weed House to the public. The name of their exhibit was "The Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks Presents a Loan Exhibit of furniture and fine Arts 18th and 19th Centuries at the Sorrel-Weed House on Madison Square. Jan-April 1940" They were founded in 1939 and eventually became the Historic Savannah Foundation. 1954, The Sorrel-Weed House was designated a Georgia State Landmark. It was one of the first houses in Georgia to receive this honor. 2005- The Sorrel Weed House opened to the public for Historic House Tours and Haunted Savannah Ghost Tours. 2010. The Sorrel Weed House was designated a Museum in the State of Georgia.
Princeton
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Place gives me issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I probably should give this house a better rating, but I have been there two times over the course of several years and both times I had to leave the tour. We went for the ghost tour at night and I am fine as we enter the small garden and into the basement area. Once I start up the stairs to the main floor, I begin to feel weird - both times I had to go out and sit on the stairs to the 2nd floor. At least I could still hear the tour guide (who are excellent, by the way). The house has a very interesting history. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's the ghosts or what, but I will probably never return to visit this home just because of my personal reaction to it. I don't seem to have the issue at the other supposedly haunted places in Savannah. Interesting.

Visited May 2014

Washington DC
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Probably not worth your time or money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

This really should be a 1 star review. I understand that they're trying to raise funds to renovate the house which I think is admirable, but the bulk of their funds come from the ghost tours and the reputation of being the most haunted house in Savannah. I will tell you that if you visit during the day, you'll see the first floor including the painter with ladders busy at work....if you're old enough to remember Murphy Brown, you'll remember her painter. The other floor you'll see is the basement which looks much like every other old basement you've seen. For $12 a person, I'd choose another home to see.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank bumper1965
Portland, Oregon
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Our tour guide was a great story teller.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

The new owner of the Sorell-Weed Historic House has plans to renovate the entire house back to its original state. Our tour guide was a graduate of South Carolina School of Art and Design. She was extremely knowledgeable and a great story teller. Do listen carefully as she helps you to relive history.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Peggy B
Conway, South Carolina
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“The Real (Paranormal) Deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Team Phasma took the ghost tour at 10:30 pm. Although it was hot and rather crowded, the tour guide was excellent. Her knowledge of the house and the reported paranormal activity was amazing. She was patient even with the less than respectful tourists. The tour gave us an opportunity to investigate a bit on our own. Also the tour guide gave us information about smaller investigations that are offered later in the year. For any paranormal groups out there, this is the real deal. We can verify that it is indeed quite active!

Visited June 2014
Miamisburg, Ohio
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

The house itself is interesting however, this was the least professional tour of the 4 houses we toured. Go see the Davenport house instead.

Visited May 2014