“Fascinating history...great tour!”

$17.00*
Haunted History of the Squares of Savannah
Ranked #35 of 220 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: The Sorrel- Weed House operates Historic Savannah Tours and Haunted Ghost Tours in Savannah. Our purpose is to educate the public on the rich neoclassical Greek Revival architecture of the Sorrel- Weed House and the the famous architect Charles Cluskey who designed it, along with and the cultural history of antebellum Savannah Georgia. A focus is also maintained on Civil War Savannah, and the role of Brigadier General Moxley Sorrel CSA. Moxley served under General James Longstreet and wrote "Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer". We also operate Haunted Ghost Tours in Savannah, as The Sorrel- Weed House was featured on Ghost Hunters with Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson in 2005, HGTV "If These Walls Could Talk" in 2006, the Travel Channel in 2010, (the Most Terrifying Places in America) and Ghost Adventures with Zak Bagans, Nick Groff and Aaron Goodwin in 2014. In January 1940 - The Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks opened the Sorrel- Weed House to the public. The name of their exhibit was "The Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks Presents a Loan Exhibit of furniture and fine Arts 18th and 19th Centuries at the Sorrel-Weed House on Madison Square. Jan-April 1940" They were founded in 1939 and eventually became the Historic Savannah Foundation. 1954, The Sorrel-Weed House was designated a Georgia State Landmark. It was one of the first houses in Georgia to receive this honor. 2005- The Sorrel Weed House opened to the public for Historic House Tours and Haunted Savannah Ghost Tours. 2010. The Sorrel Weed House was designated a Museum in the State of Georgia.
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Beautiful old House in Greek architecture style built for a wealthy shipping merchant. There is a fascinating history of one of the slaves who was the lover of one of the owners....and of course murder, intrigue and ghosts. It is supposed to be one of the most haunted houses in Savannah, but we took the day tour so didnt see (or hear) any:-) worth the visit, day or night!

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Do not bother with the the late night ghost hunt. This was a ghost hunting 101 class with no chance of actually seeing much of anything. Pack 20+ people into 1 room at a time,talking, laughing, flashes going off. Even if this house had spirits why would they want to show themselves to loud obnoxious tourists. Truly not worth the money.

1  Thank winediva75
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I've been to Savannah a few times with my family over the past 4 or 5 years and we're planning another trip, but every time we take the trolley tour, our tour guide chats us up about the Sorrel Weed House. Well, I finally took the bait and dragged my family in for the day tour (to much ofa wimp for the ghost tour) and what a beautiful exterior! Loved the location and surroundings. Breathtaking like the rest of Savannah. However, the house itself left MUCH to be desired. If this is what the Historical Society considers 'restored', I think they need to go back to school because the inside was in shabby condition. Not even the sort of aged, historic shabby but plain old horrible.

At the beginning of the tour, our guide put us in a little room and turned on a little tv that showed us the HGTV special about the house that was featured on "If Walls Could Talk", then we toured a couple of rooms then went down into the basement and out into the courtyard. Sadly, no carriage house, but I did snap a few pictures on my phone. After I went back and glanced at them, would you believe I caught a picture of a figure in the basement and someone looking out of the window at me in the Carriage house! It was creepy.

Unfortunately, for what you get to see it's not worth the money. We spent more time waiting for our tour guide than we actually spent on the tour and the stories weren't very interesting. There's a presence in there, I'll give you that. And I did enjoy myself, it's just not worth the cost at all.

2  Thank Ashley C
Reviewed March 30, 2014

When I saw this house on my trolley tour I knew it was the one thing that I had to see before I left Savannah. The first thing I noticed after I bought my ticket and was waiting for the tour was how unkempt the grounds were. There was some trash laying around and random bricks everywhere. The exterior of the house has peeling paint, it didn't get any better from there. Our tour consisted of three rooms and the basement. This house is gorgeous from the outside and it is talked up on how big it is. What a disappointment. The rooms were barely furnished with furniture that was falling apart. The owners ought to be ashamed of themselves. I can't believe the historical society of Savannah is letting this go on. I would say don't waste your money but I would hate for this house to be closed to the public. The owner really ought to get their act together though, it wouldn't take much to get this place in shape.

2  Thank kkravitz22
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We shelled out almost seventy dollars for a house tour and walking tour on our recent trip to Savannah. We took the 8:00 tour with about 16 people, way too many to truly enjoy the experience. The house tour was really good story telling but not much more then that. The walking tour was a complete waste. The guide Boyce did not know what he was doing, did a poor job on the stories and was too busy talking with his friend who was on the tour and not really paying attention to the rest of the paying customers. Then at the end, he left the tour at the cemetery to find their own way back to the starting point while him and his friend left together. Not worth the amount of money we spent, minus the house tour, the rest of the tour we could have done better by ourselves.