“Must See, true Savannah Haunting”
Review of Sorrel Weed House

$19.98*
Haunted History of the Squares of Savannah
Ranked #36 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: The Sorrel- Weed House operates Historic Savannah Tours and Haunted Ghost Tours in Savannah. Our purpose is to educate the public on the rich neoclassical Greek Revival architecture of the Sorrel- Weed House and the the famous architect Charles Cluskey who designed it, along with and the cultural history of antebellum Savannah Georgia. A focus is also maintained on Civil War Savannah, and the role of Brigadier General Moxley Sorrel CSA. Moxley served under General James Longstreet and wrote "Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer". We also operate Haunted Ghost Tours in Savannah, as The Sorrel- Weed House was featured on Ghost Hunters with Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson in 2005, HGTV "If These Walls Could Talk" in 2006, the Travel Channel in 2010, (the Most Terrifying Places in America) and Ghost Adventures with Zak Bagans, Nick Groff and Aaron Goodwin in 2014. In January 1940 - The Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks opened the Sorrel- Weed House to the public. The name of their exhibit was "The Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks Presents a Loan Exhibit of furniture and fine Arts 18th and 19th Centuries at the Sorrel-Weed House on Madison Square. Jan-April 1940" They were founded in 1939 and eventually became the Historic Savannah Foundation. 1954, The Sorrel-Weed House was designated a Georgia State Landmark. It was one of the first houses in Georgia to receive this honor. 2005- The Sorrel Weed House opened to the public for Historic House Tours and Haunted Savannah Ghost Tours. 2010. The Sorrel Weed House was designated a Museum in the State of Georgia.
Savannah, Georgia, United States
“Must See, true Savannah Haunting”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Our Tour guide was Karen, she was AMAZING!!!! She knew so much history about the house, and so many stories about things that had happened there. we loved going with her! She was really helpful about other tours of the house as well! I LOVE HER DRESS!!!!

Visited November 2011

San Francisco, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Ghost Tour a Total Waste of Time and Money”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I believe there are two tours with the Sorrel-Weed House - an architectural tour and a ghost tour. The ghost tour is a joke! The ghost tour was a waste of $20 per person and a waste of an hour and a half. This tour, unlike others that walk around parts of the city, takes you through the Sorrel Weed House only. The twenty-something "guide" talked more about himself than the house or the supposed ghosts. The extent of the "tour" was the "guide" telling us that one of his co-workers (who happened to be a friend and roommate?) once heard a noise or saw a face in the window. That's it? Your friend saw a face? Is THAT a ghost tour? There was little, if any history, and the little historical or cultural information given was slightly or completely incorrect (they should do research before speaking). Many times during the tour we considered walking out (should have read other reviews because many say they did walk out) but we stayed so we could see the house. It's in a state of disrepair and apparently they are holding these "ghost" tours to earn funds to fix it up. There are lots of stairs (and you walk them in the dark) and no bathrooms, FYI.

Visited October 2011
4 Thank GottaBeOnTheWater
Pooler, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Worst ghost tour in Savannah”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I bought 5 tickets for me and my friends to enjoy a haunted tour 2 days before Halloween. We even took the tour that started at 10:30pm so it would end at midnight for a more scary effect. Boy were we disappointed. The tour guide was TERRIBLE!! Our tour was on October 29 so you know who you are. First of all there were over 30 people in our group - way too many. Once upstairs in the cottage we didn't all fit in the one room where we could all hear him. Then he proceeded to talk mostly about himself only to turn on a video for us to watch as he left to go take care of more tours showing up. They start a new tour every half hour so people are loud, one tour group mingles close to the other which is very distracting. Our tour guide was even slurring - had he had a few cocktails before the tour? What a total waste of our good evening. The guide said he'd been with them for 8 years - that's about 7 years too long. Don't go - don't waste your money. Do the Creepy Crawl Pub Tour instead.........I saw and heard more scary stories on this walking tour!!

Visited October 2011
3 Thank Leslie P
Lund, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Horrible guide-I actually felt VIOLATED...”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I remember this place - because it was the only really horrible night during our 3 week stay in the States. Do NOT go. I am not a picky person. I have a lot of empathy and patience with people. But when the guide aqtually spend more time talking about the fact that he was SINGLE, looking at my breasts and talking about his BAR tours than the ghosts of Savannah, you have to be conserned...

I know, this sounds to bad to be true. In some way, he got that job.. But it WAS horrific. I actually felt violated as a human being. At first I thought he was drunk. He talked a lot about alcohol. A little girl asked "So when are you gonna tell us about the ghosts" and he just looked insulted and answered "soon". He talked a LOT. After this kind of experience, you are often able to laugh at it - but I still feel bad about it, because he waisted one of three precious nights in this magnificant city. Savannah will stay in my heart. But Sorell Weed House REALLY has to fire that guy!!

Visited June 2011
5 Thank Carltina
Savannah, GA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Quality tour of a beautiful historic home”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Went on the day tour with my mom who was visiting. It was a historical/architectural tour. I did not go on the ghost tour at night. Our guide, Kim, was wonderful! She was so nice, knowledgeable, and fun to have as our guide. We toured all over the house and got to know the history of the home, it's past owners, some fun facts, and got up close and personal with all of the highlights of the home. It is a very impressive and beautiful house.

The tour left us with an interesting and interactive perspective into the luxurious (and controversial) lifestyles that were lived in Savannah during the home's early years. I highly recommend the tour. Ask for Kim!

Visited August 2011