“Quintessential Savannah”

Dresser Palmer House
Ranked #14 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 28, 2007

I arrived during Social Hour and felt as if I'd walked into a warm hug. The elegant sitting room and dining room were illuminated with more than a dozen tapered candles. The sound of conversation permeated throughout the house as guests enjoyed new acquaintances, hors d’oeuvres and wine. Before I had even checked-in I decided to stay an additional night, knowing already it would be difficult to leave. A highlight of my stay included sitting on the extensive veranda sheltered from the pouring rain as it made its way through the canopy of Live Oak trees draped with Spanish moss onto the streets of Savannah. After the buzz of the weekend died down Sunday afternoon I basked in the ambiance of the sitting room, a southern oasis where the modernization of wi-fi meets a fire warmed room. Upon further inquiry I was able to see additional guest rooms, all impeccably decorated, and many having their own fireplace. The Inn shares my belief in a great breakfast being the perfect start to any day and this included gourmet touch was most appreciated. This review could continue forever with all my praise for each and every one of the staff who were all gracious, generous and kind. Southern hospitality at its finest, the Dresser Palmer house is a slice of heaven served up Savannah style.

Stayed: January 2007
12  Thank Wanderlust2007

Reviewed January 7, 2007

The Dresser Palmer House was a wonderful New Year's Eve treat. The house was sumptuously decorated. I wanted a fireplace, so we chose the John Wesley room. As it turned out, the temperature was 77 degrees and the AC was on! We had the fireplace lit for a photo, otherwise we enjoyed sitting on the porch in our shirt sleeves. Our room had a bathroom across the hall, a bit of a concern, but robes were provided and although the house was full, we never saw anyone on our way to the bathroom. We found the staff to be warm and helpful. One thing we particularly enjoyed was a wine and chees hour each evening. I enjoyed chatting with other guests over wine and cheese more than at breakfast, but then I am not a monring person. I did get up for the yummy breakfasts. I wish we had stayed 3 nights. Make your reservations now for Valentines Day, I hear they are always full.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank chezclark
Reviewed November 5, 2006

I traveled with my brother and sister to the Dresser Palmer Inn and stayed there two nights. We absolutely loved it and felt the staff was very nice. We especially liked the white cheddar souffle that Patrick, the chef, served at one of the gourmet breakfasts. David was especially good about helping us with directions and advice on where to eat dinner . There was another lady who helped us make reservations for our haunted carriage ride and made arrangements for our taxi to take us to the riverfront. The rooms were just gorgeous and there was plenty of outdoor areas in the courtyards to just sit and relax with a cup of coffee or tea after walking and sight seeing all day. There was no problem with parking, and the street that the Inn is on is mostly residential so there is not much foot traffic going by after 9pm if you choose to stay in one of the rooms at the front of the Inn. My brother, sister, and I will definitely plan to stay there again in the Spring when we can stay longer, I really hated to leave the place to come home.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
11  Thank jojoellen
Reviewed October 1, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night while on a road trip September 14th for $140 (w/AAA discount). We highly recommend it. We're newlyweds and we'd never stayed in a B&B before and we loved it! We didn't have a reservation, we were a walk-in and they accommodated us w/out a problem.

We stayed in the Flannery O'Connor room. It was the least expensive room they offered us and we were traveling on a budget so... It was an acceptable room. You get to the room via the outside stairs in the back. It's a lot of stairs to carry your luggage up but I think the staff would assist if you asked them to.

The bed was a bit squeaky and there was a lot of motion-transfer. The only other 'complaint' was that we heard someone coughing through the wall so we didn't feel like we had much privacy. Other than that the room had a fireplace, and a claw foot tub! (Showering in stand-alone tubs can make you a bit claustrophobic w/the curtain surrounding you but it was ok.) Be warned there is no phone, fridge, or microwave, but there was an iron & board.

Like everyone said, the gourmet breakfast is amazing. They treat & serve you like you're royalty. I wasn't so sure about eating at a table with others and making small talk but actually it was nice.

Again, like everyone said in other reviews, the place is gorgeously decorated (Felt like I was warped back in time. The only thing missing was the big southern dresses.), the staff very friendly, and the location is great for site seeing.

We got a feel for the 'old southern hospitality' that we wouldn't have gotten if we stayed in a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank OneWorldWideTraveler
Reviewed September 26, 2006

We spent four nights at the Dresser Palmer. The inn is gorgeous on the inside--antiques, fireplaces, chandeliers. The outdoor areas are beautiful and typical of Savannah's famous gardens. The front includes a lovely, long, narrow porch --complete with extremely comfortable chairs. Courtyards adorn the back with three separate seating areassurrounded by flowers, vines, and fountains

The location is ideally located in the historic district, an easy walk to most of the historic sites Plus, it's in a quieter, more residential section than most of the hotels.

What made this BB exceptional was the service. Every person went out of his or her way to meet every request. Maps were printed, reservations and recommendations made. And, the breakfast was delicious, a gourmet treat every morning.

After touring Savannah and seeing other hotels and inns, I would not want to stay anywhere else but the Dresser Palmer.

Thanks for a wonderful stay.

Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank lulue
Reviewed September 23, 2006

Great breakfasts. Nice rooms. Wine and cheese in evening. Need a car / trolly / pedicab to get to riverfront.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank bigwhiteguy
Reviewed July 31, 2006

We have just returned from a 3 day stay in Historic Savannah. The Dresser Palmer House Bed & Breakfast is THE place to stay. The Inn is magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible service before. Everythng in the house is period furnishings with modern necessities. Just absoultely wonderful. The peace and tranquility of the Inn was just what one would want.

There are 15 rooms and each is decorated differently. There is 24 hour concierge and at your beconning call. They went out of there way to be sure we were comfortable and have everything we needed.

The gourmet breakfasts were just a delight and the presentation of the food was as if you were watching TV. Wine and Cheese in the late afternoon gave all the guests a chance to meet each other and have lots of great conversation. The Innkeeper recommended great restaurants and even called for our reservations.

The cost per night was relatively inexpenseive and surely was inline with all the hotels in the area - but all the service you got to go along - just the greatest we have ever experienced.

By the way - this was our first stay at a bed and breakfast inn and we probably will never return to a hotel if we can find an inn. But if you are in Savannah - Dresser Palmer House is the place to stay!

5  Thank annepearlman