Dresser Palmer House
Hamilton-Turner Inn(Savannah)
  • Breakfast included
The DeSoto(Savannah)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bother guestsforsyth parksocial hourbed and breakfastkelly roomazalea roomjohnny mercerwine and cheesehistoric districtbreakfast was delicioussouthern hospitalitywithin walking distancecocktail houreach morningour honeymoontrip to savannah
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My husband bought me a stay here off of living social and it was our first stay on savannah. We fell in love with the town!! It is completely southern charm at its best! The dresser did not disappoint either! Our room was gorgeous and perfectly located walking distance to downtown savannah. Breakfast was delicious! It was pricey I think but luckily we had a voucher but did have to pay an upgrade for a bigger room. Overall we had a great time and the open bar was a nice touch!

• Stayed: June 2013
KolinDPH_Innkeeper, Manager at Dresser Palmer House, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Hi Rbroadway!

Thanks for finding us on Living Social. We always love to use platforms like that to introduce people to new experiences! A B&B is the real way to do Savannah and we were glad to have you stay with us.

Look forward to having you again!

From all of us at The Dresser Palmer House: Kolin, Sarah, Janice, and Lovett

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed in the James Oglethorpe room, which I booked specially because it had a "waltz out" window leading to a beautiful veranda. Unfortunately we never actually used it because we were busy and then so tired from all our activities.
It is a little out of the way of the hubbub of Savannah, so if you like to be removed, in a quiet location, this is the place for you! One block from Forsyth Park.
I had asked for a late check in because we wouldn't be arriving until after eight on Friday night. (most B&Bs "close" after 6 or 7) I was told everything would be left taped to the front door. When we arrived, I found our info and keys on the door. We had a rental car, so luckily they included info about a 2nd lot on the next street over. However in the letter it says to leave your parking pass in the window (the lot is a private lot, and clearly states that cars without passes will be towed) so of course we were very nervous about leaving our rental in a lot without a pass in an unfamiliar town. (we are from NY and Boston, where towing is no joke) I tried calling both numbers left on the letter multiple times, with no answer. Finally another group pulled in who happened to also be doing a late check in at Dresser Palmer. She said that she had stayed before and parked in this lot with no pass and had no problem. At this point it was past 9 and we just wanted to go inside so we decided to chance it. Eventually the innkeeper sent me a text saying that we didn't need a pass. **Word to the Inn, please remove that from your letter, it's very confusing to your late check in guests**
We finally got inside, beautiful inn. Get to our rooms, unpack, get settled down, decide to watch a little tv before bed, satellite isn't working.
Luckily for us, that was the end of the negative experiences. We slept like rocks, the bathroom was nice with an amazing rain shower, breakfast was delicious, the conversions with other travelers was fantastic. One of the women at breakfast was talking about this being her 2nd pregnancy and then the petite woman across the table said that she was pregnant with her 3rd, which made it funny for my friend to announce that she was pregnant with her first! There was certainly something in the air!
We had the same wonderful experiences for the rest of our stay. Apparently they have a wine social every night, but we were always going and my friend is pregnant, so we never had use for them. I would definitely recommend the Dresser Palmer!

Room Tip: Definitely the James Oglethorpe! "Waltz-out" window to the veranda
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
KolinDPH_Innkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at Dresser Palmer House, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Hi chanel5!

Thanks for the kind words! We in Savannah like to get out and go have fun pretty early! Therefore, we like to be prepared for when guests need to arrive later than we stay. I'm glad the check-in process went relatively smoothly for you. Parking in Savannah is a BIG deal and people often get pretty upset about "their space". In the busy season we do hand out parking passes to relieve any tension or questions about who can park where. We will definitely make it more clear and concise on all of our information though!

Thanks for your great review and kind suggestions.

From all of us at The Dresser Palmer House: Kolin, Sarah, Lovett, and Janice

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I stay at B&B inns on most of our trips. This B&B is located on Gaston Street. It’s in a very quiet area of the historic district. The building is very beautiful and has been well preserved.

The inn keeper, Kolin, greeted us before we were able to get in the door. He was very helpful from the beginning and even got us reservations for dinner. He escorted us to our room, the Henry Dresser, and showed us around. The room was very clean and spacious. This room has a “Waltz Out” window that allows you to exit the room to the patio (shared with other rooms). We slept very well in the immaculate king bed.

Wine and appetizers are served in the evenings. It was very nice to relax and meet new people.

Breakfasts were good for the most part. But it was about 10-12 minutes late on Sunday morning and we did have to ask for orange juice also. We think it just nicer for things like juice to be offered by the server. This was about the only minor glitch we experienced over the weekend. Note: The innkeeper was not cooking or serving that morning, but was back on duty Monday morning. Monday’s breakfast experience was better and more enjoyable. The quality of the food was very good both days.

Be aware that there are only four parking spaces located at the inn. The over flow parking area is about a block away. For a fast walker it’s a 3-4 minute jaunt. It was not a problem for us, but worth mentioning.

As mentioned, the inn is located on a quiet section on Gaston Street. There are some restaurants located nearby the inn, but if you want to take in the “action” of the city market or the riverfront you have to walk a bit. My wife and I are very fast walkers and it took us about 15-20 minutes to walk to the river front.

We really enjoyed our weekend and will consider a return trip. I would highly recommend a stay here.

1  Thank DPC_LJC_Travel

Hey DPC_LJC_Travel!

It's always great to host experienced B&Bers. Thanks so much for choosing us! We LOVE those waltz out windows. They are famous in Savannah and are so handy and fun especially when escaping to that big rear verandah to have some coffee in the morning or wine in the evening.
So sorry about leaving you Sunday! I have a touch of OCD which means for me that when I say breakfast is at 8:30, that means I have hot food on the table AT 8:30. I'm still trying to instill that into my staff for when I'm not here! I recently hired a new bright and talented chef for breakfast and today being his first day, I've hit my OCD tendencies right into his fresh new brain.

Again, thanks so much for choosing us and for the kind words.

From all of us at The Dresser Palmer House: Kolin, Sarah, Lovett, and Janice

Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was our first visit to Savannah-SO glad we found the Dresser Palmer House! Upon arrival we were immediately upgraded to another room, the James Oglethorpe, which was fabulous! It was spacious, with a gas fire place and two large windows that opened onto a shared varanda; the bathroom had a modern walk-in shower. The inn is beautiful, the rooms clean and well kept. While we did not partake of the afternoon 'social', the breakfasts were fabulous, the host (Kolin) most accommodating. The inn is conveniently located on a beautiful street, so we were able to bike and walk everywhere. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
KolinDPH_Innkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at Dresser Palmer House, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Hi Shelley B!

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and in Savannah. The Savannah "Waltz Out" windows are SUCH an added charm to the house. They allow for easily going back and forth from the room to the gorgeous relaxing second story seating area. The Wisteria vines are finally blooming, wish you all were here to see that! As you read on here before your stay, we like to have fun with food and keep things fresh and interesting. We're so happy that we were able to please your palates! Thank you so much for choosing us.

From all of us at The Dresser Palmer House: Kolin, Sarah, Tim, Janice, Jeff and Emily

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Our days in Savannah were cold, windy and rainy but the Dresser Palmer House was a bright, warm and cheery spot. The weather heightened our enjoyment of the gas fireplace in the John Wesley room. The food was delicious and we were especially thankful to Kolin and Tim for creating gluten free options for me that in no way left me feeling "cheated" because I couldn't eat what the others enjoyed (Well, perhaps I felt a little cheated that I couldn't enjoy the chocolate chip cookies that are always available :-) ) Kolin connected us to local restaurants with great gluten free options. Their specially blended coffee was a highlight and we brought some home. The room had historical charm, yet once you walked into the bathroom, you enjoyed a totally modern experience. I can't imagine ever being disappointed by the Dresser Palmer House and its excellent and friendly staff.

1  Thank TBinFL
KolinDPH_Innkeeper, Guest Relations Manager at Dresser Palmer House, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Hi TBinFL!

Well it WAS a dreary Savannah weekend and was more winter like than the bright sunny spring we enjoy. However, we are so glad to hear that we were able to shed some comfort and light on your stay here in Savannah. Gluten free diets are becoming more and more prevalent these days and it's great to have a city and restaurant scene that has embraced that. Many offer separate menus and/or have plenty of options on their regular menus. We are always glad to accommodate any wishes or needs and glad to hear that we helped you out! I'll have to perfect my recipe for chocolate chip cookies in a gluten free form for your next stay... until then, we look forward to seeing y'all again!