“Lots of things to like, but we won't go back”

Olde Harbour Inn - River Street Suites
Ranked #7 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The bottom line is, we won't go back, for two reasons - one of which could be fixed, but the other can't. (1) The internet was SLOW at the best times, and it kept cutting out completely. That's fine if you just want to check email, but not if you want to stream a movie on your laptop. (2) The un-fixable reason: the old floors transmit every sound from upstairs. The family in the suite above ours was not a bunch of elephants, but it sounded like it, every time anyone took a step. There are so many other options for interesting places in Savannah, that for those two reasons, we'll try someplace else next time.

Having said that, if you don't care about having wifi, and if you don't mind noise from upstairs, there is a lot to like about the Olde Harbour Inn. The staff members were all wonderfully helpful. The bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets and towels were good quality, with a subtle fresh smell to them. At breakfast, the scrambled eggs were tough each of the 3 mornings, and the grits were usually stiff, but the biscuits were great and there were several other options. "Not bad for a free breakfast." We enjoyed the wine and snacks in the evening. The location is great, just a few steps from River Street.

Room Tip: The floors transmit every sound from upstairs, so aim for the top floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 6, 2014

My husband and I loved staying here! It was very clean and right on River St. We brought our large dog and baby and didn't have any issues. The best part about the hotel, among other things, is that the room was huge! We had a very large living room, great large kitchen with full size refrigerator, and a separate bedroom....it was like staying in an apartment! We loved the full-size hot breakfast each morning with river view and the Klondike bar during turn down service was a nice touch!
Some things I wish were different (constructive criticism for the hotel)...1) change of hot breakfast would of been nice, after staying there for a few days I was getting tired of the same breakfast each day, 2) electrical outlets didn't work in the living room, 3) garbage can in the bedroom would have been convenient, 4) The bathroom is very outdated, I wouldn't mind paying extra money per nite for a better bathroom.
Overall, our experience was great. The hospitality of the staff was the best I have ever some across in my travels and that alone will make me want to come back to the Olde Harbour Inn! Don't listen to the negative reviews about the loud music across the street or anything else...stay here!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2014

One of the worst I've ever endured. The cheap and overpowering plug-in left me with a migraine, asthma attack and I spent the night in the car in the parking lot because no guests allowed in the "lobby" at night. Even the towels had such strong cheap softener odor I couldn't get way from the clinging smells. The hotel itself had no smell- there was nothing to cover up. Location was fine for convenience but not if u need a quiet night's sleep. Window with a "view" was tiny and nothing was visible. I learned to be much more judicious next time. But for the 200.00, I would have left in the middle of the night for my health's sake and just driven on through the night. I won't return nor would I recommend this disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Helensbabies
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I've stayed in about 200 hotels in my life. This was the best deal so far when comparing money for comfort and luxuries. Maybe because it was a Wednesday in the offseason? Some perks are wine and cheese hour, continental breakfast, free internet, free parking, free Klondike bars, wife and I actually wore the robes for the first time in our lives. Location is unbelievable. Kevin works hard and was a great help. Room size was amazing I thought the website I reserved it on charged the wrong price and that I was going to wake up to a huge bill in the morning. They didn't. I was just a steal of a deal.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin8285
Reviewed May 28, 2014

September 2013 we stayed two nights in the Olde Harbour Inn in Savannah. Great location, charming hotel. The Inn was located at the river on a great spot, very central (e.g. the Pirates House). The Inn has a private parking space (a small road easily to overlook, we drove 2 times past it before we saw it) and for $5 you could park there for 48 hours. We got a hearty greeting at the reception and were guided and helped with our luggage to our little room the Anne. Little? I have never seen such a spacious room. It was more an apartment, with a living room, little kitchen, spacious bath room and you had to go up the stairs to the bed room. It was all open, you could look from upstairs to the living room. Around the bed was it a bit narrow but you could get into bed and overall it was a spacious apartment. You could see it was old, but so charming with a balcony looking out of the river. And the breakfast was delicious! Everything you could want and fresh, all kinds of bread, eggs, muffins, you name it. So if we visit Savannah ever again we will certainly go back to this hotel. Great location and great price/quality! (great restaurant nearby, the Pirates House)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline07_69
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We enjoyed our room as it is nicer and larger than most typical hotels. The kitchenette is nice although we didn't use it. The bed is comfortable and even though our room was downstairs, we had a decent view since we were on the end. The breakfast was mediocre, lots of options unless you're celiac which leaves you with cold scrambled eggs and bacon. Had it been warm, I would have been okay with it.

The afternoon wine and cheese is nice and the ice cream is a nice touch. We were surprised when our used coffee mugs and wine glasses were not picked up by housekeeping and we returned them to the kitchen ourselves.

We could hear the people in the room above us walking around in the wee hours of the morning. The walls are so thin we could hear the conversations of our neighbors. Their 1:30am door slamming and shouting argument followed by 2:40am make up sex really didn't need to be shared with us.

We were really looking forward to staying here for our long vacation. Unfortunately we left not having enough sleep and disappointed with the overall experience. The location is great but doesn't mean much when you're too tired to enjoy it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dianemac62
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Everything about this Inn was outstanding. From the staff to the location and the accommodations. I often stay in Savannah when traveling from South Florida to North Carolina.
This experience was the best.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends