“Just perfect”

Olde Harbour Inn - River Street Suites
Ranked #7 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Ideally located, only a few minutes walk from Historic District. Very spacious rooms, good breakfast. Staff is so extraordinarily friendly (which is true in most cases in the US), but on top extremely helpful. Our luggage didn't arrive for 2 days and they helped us a lot in that situation.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Our room was large, clean and very comfortable. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Cheese and wine in the late afternoon and a full breakfast in the morning. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 7, 2013

WE loved our room, large unit within a unique walk down three unit section. Our was in the middle, large foyer, good size bathroom, kitchen and living/bedroom combo. Every thing was nice, friendly check in and service. When the room next to us was booked we could hear everything going on.
Offered a nice breakfast and wine and cheese in the afternoon.
It's a little out of the way,needed to walk in a dark and secluded section of town. Also needed to walk up and down a metal stairway to get access.
It was a good price and value but I would stay in a more central location.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The location is cool because, while being in immediate walking distance, and essentially in the historic district, a beautiful park of old live oaks isolates the old warehouse now hotel from the traffic. (really ideal isolation for pets moving to and from car, or as my dog did, spending the night in the camper). The river is RIGHT below the hotel.
The BEST thing about the hotel was the sincere friendliness of the staff. They were the nicest group of people we have encountered, They were very focused on their job of making the guests feel at home. I feel like it is a very well run hotel.
The wine and cheese in the afternoon were great - as was the morning breakfast. Although the staff was in the background for service, if needed, they were never intrusive. Breakfast was the same, - eggs, bacon, sausage, fine biscuits, fresh cut fruit, and much more.
So we will always plan to stay here when we come to Savannah.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I reviewed this Hotel after staying for two nights last May, (2012), and was very impressed with the set up,
I returned to Savannah this October for a five night stay, (Savannah really has so much to offer), and had no hesitation in re-booking the Old Harbour Inn.
The reception area and "breakfast" room have been improved with a renovation, and the single check in desk didn't cause to much of a wait. The staff were polite and helpful, I didn't require assistance with my luggage straight away, but help was at hand when needed a bit later.
I had chosen the same room type as last year, a one bedroom river view suite with a small balcony facing the river, the bedroom was in an upstairs open gallery. There was a lounge area, dining area and small kitchen with coffee making, microwave and large fridge/freezer, I would highly recommend this type of room, they are located on the 4th, (top), floor. The bathrooms are very small, but functional.
The location is excellent and it is a perfect base for exploring all that Savannah has to offer, with easy walking distance to a multitude of shops, bars and excellent restaurants.
One thing I noticed different this year was an envelope left in the room by housekeeping for a gratuity. I have no issue with this whatsoever, I ALWAYS leave a few dollars for the person servicing the room at every Hotel I stay at, not so sure everyone does but I have certainly got into the habit.
This is the reason I have only given four stars and not five,
I always leave a cash gratuity in the room, usually close to the coffee maker and with a "thank you" note to confirm that it is actually a tip, I did not use the envelopes, (which could be handed in to reception). I was extremely annoyed when I returned to the room one afternoon to see the tip I had left gone, but the maid had still left a gratuity envelope on the table, not only a greedy thing to do, but the standard of housekeeping wasn't that great anyway, they did not clean coffee cup and did not always replace the coffee packs, this however, is something I can deal with, the cheeky request for a further gratuity I find offensive.
This did not stop me leaving a tip the other days of my stay, I took the view that it would not be the same person every day and others should not loose out because of one persons greed. This one person, and I do have her name but I don't think it is the right thing to do to publish it, did clean the room at least one more time and did exactly the same thing by leaving the envelope, so it wasn't done the first time in error.
On checking out I handed the envelope to the receptionist who placed it in a drawer, that is until I explained that it was empty and the reason why, I was given the opportunity to take it up with the duty Manageress who was close by, she suggested that it was probably left in error as they get used to leaving them, even if I thought that was true, once maybe but twice is not a mistake. The Manageress was made aware of the persons name as it was on the envelope.
This behaviour reflects badly on the other housekeeping staff and could potentially loose them money, and whereas you may think my objections are not really a major issue, as I am so careful to make sure I leave a tip, it just annoyed me.
Right, back to the Hotel review. The "free" breakfasts and evening wine and cheese/snack offerings are a nice touch and whereas they may not win any awards, they are functional for what they are, especially the breakfast which is a good way to set you up for the day ahead.
Overall this is still a great Hotel in an excellent location in an excellent city, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting Savannah, I would suggest joining their mailing list to take advantage of some of the offers that crop up occasionally and, as mentioned, the river view rooms with a balcony would be my choice, it is nice to sit on the balcony on an evening and watch the world, and some rather large ships, go by whilst enjoying the complimentary ice creams left in the freezer each night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We just spent 2 nights at the Olde Harbour Inn and all we can say is, Fantastic! It's a beautiful property...romantic...convenient to everything...historical...comfortable...excellent! The staff was wonderful and professional...the property was clean...as were the rooms. Everything was in good working order and just really nice. We especially loved our Klondike bars waiting for us in the freezer upon our arrival. :-)

We stayed in suite 209...it is on the bottom level which I would agree with some of the reviews here...ask for a mid to upper level room...but we weren't in Savannah to stay in our room the whole time so it was never an issue for us. The front door is below street level but the living room windows are about 2 floors off of River Street so... We arrived later than we thought and the front desk person was there waiting for us...sorry, can't remember her name...but she was so wonderful I didn't have the heart to ask for a different room at the time. And again...it was never an issue for us but I can see how higher rooms would be better.

The Inn offered a complimentary breakfast in the morning...nothing outstanding but it was very good. Eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, pastries, fruits, cereals, juices, coffee...everything anyone really needs for the start of a wonderful day in a beautiful city. Can't say enough about Savannah...from the restaurants, bars and pubs...to the live entertainment, shops and sightseeing...all awesome. We didn't experience Hank...the Inn's ghost...but I hear he's around...and mischieveous. :-)

We took the Olde Savannah Tours on/off history tour. They had a cold weather special for $22/person...same price as the 90 minute tour. We liked the flexibility of being able to get on and off if we wanted and did so at Forsythe Park and near River St...to end our tour. Olde Savannah will come and pick you up at your hotel to take you to the main hub to start the tour, just call them, which is at the Visitors Center...which also houses the Savannah History Museum. We didn't go into the museum but I can see taking it in after the trolley tour, I hear it's pretty good.

Anyway...can't say enough about the Inn and the city itself...very beautiful all around...and we had a great time. Just a note...the Inn offers a city parking pass for $12...well worth it...we parked very near the entrance on Factor's Walk and never had to use the car the entire time, loved it. The Inn itself is right at the end of River St...so I suggest taking the trolly tour...have them drop you off around stop 15 at the other end of the street...and work your way down in the restaurants, shops, pubs, etc...and end at the Inn, great time. Wet Willies is a great way to end that walk with a couple of really good frozen rum drinks. :-)

Room Tip: We were there on 2 weekdays...and got there a bit later than we though and we're hungry. At lea...