“Thiis place is Great! 3rd visit a charm.....again.”
Review of Amethyst Garden

Amethyst Garden
Ranked #15 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2007

It is our 3rd time in 2 years here....and it's better than ever. Rocky and Jane are gracious hosts, the food is great, the Victorian decor beautiful and the cleaniless perfect. On this our 3rd visit, we invited friends, who hold the same opinion. We travel all over the world, live in London half the year (so see ALOT of places).... what;s not to like? We tried another B&B last spring when Sarahs Garden was fully booked as were really sorry. We love it...try it!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank yellowbird747
There are newer reviews for Amethyst Garden

Reviewed November 14, 2007

We hated this place. We checked out early and we never do that! Our room was smelly, dirty, the shower had mold, the hand soap had the most awful pungent scent. Don't know if the owners were nice because we never saw them. The carpets were dirty. The couch in our room was dirty. Everything was dusty. And to top it all off there was an envelope for us to leave a tip for the housekeeper (didn't do that). Don't stay here! You will regret it!

Stayed: November 2007
10  Thank momma1234
Reviewed November 10, 2007

the amethyst Inn is quite a nice house with nice furnitures.the location is not the greatest as it is at the edge of the historic district and you need a car to get around.
This was the first B&B we stayed at during our ten days trip and it was also the poorest one . The owners did not live on the premise so it was hard to find out information. You had to call them. The staff changed daily and the breakfast is not worth mentioning.
We have learned that there is an association of select Registry distinguished inns of the north america.. I would suggest that before you book a B&B in the states and Canada you see if they belong to that group. Our experience was ,that the one B&B we stayed in later on ,which was registered with select registry was by far better than the others we stayed in for the same price.I saw in the book that there are a few B&B in Savannah which are listed in the select registry, I wish I would have known.
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention the wine which was served at tea time. So bad, the kind that comes in carton container.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank husggybear
Reviewed November 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Amethyst Inn in October. We loved it there. Jane and Rocky were so helpful in giving us information about things to do. We've stayed at two other B&B's in Savannah, and the Amethyst bypassed both of them in cleanliness and beauty. We wanted to go to a different B&B every year, but it would be hard to beat this one. We enjoyed the wine and snacks in the afternoon because everybody joined in, including Jane and Rocky. Jane is so funny. We so enjoyed her stories about when she first came to Savannah. When in Savannah, be sure to go to Mrs. Wilkes to eat. We were born and raised in the South, and this is definitely authentic southern food. It was just like eating at my mom's. We will definitely go back to the Amethyst on our next trip to Savannah. We have told all of our friends how wonderful it is.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank bjwSnellville_Ga
Reviewed November 1, 2007

OK, I have debated writting this review, and since we stayed at this inn three months ago, I thought it was too late. After reading the last review, which echoes our stay exactly I realized we needed to give other people a heads up about this inn.

First off, Rocky and Jane are very nice, eclectic people. They seem to really enjoy mingling with their guests and sharing the Savannah lifestye with them. They have owned this inn for 10 years and are currently thinking about selling it (if they haven't already).

We reserved the "Hydrangea Suite," which is one of two basement /ground level suites in the inn. We arrived late at night, and the owners were kind enough to leave our room key at the front door, so we let ourselves in. We noticed that the room was dusty, but did not realize how bad it was until the next morning. It was warm outside, but the air conditioning had been turned down to at least 50 degrees. There was no thermostat in the room for us to warm up the room, and no extra blankets. It was a horrible, freezing night. The next day, Rocky informed us that the other suite on our floor had control of the thermostat in their room, and he asked them to turn it up.

In the morning we went upstairs for breakfast and waited about an hour for breakfast in the dining room, before one of the other guests called Jane, and it was realized that the college student that they hire forgot to show up and heat up the breakfast. Jane quickly came and made the planned breakfast of egg casserole, canned cinammon rolls and canned fruit. The second morning we were there we had frozen Ego waffles and more canned fruit. The third morning, I think Jane felt bad so she went all out and made a giant eclair for breakfast. Strange thing to eat for breakfast, but it was tastier than the frozen waffles!

Our kids went for a swim in the pool that afternoon and didn't want to swim again because the pool was full of hair. It was literally floating on the top of the water. That evening the inn was almost empty, so we looked around and checked out the other rooms. Overall, the whole inn is really dusty and just a little bit rundown, but it seems that the main floor and the top floor are where they pay the most attention. The two basement suites are a mess, especially the Hydrangea Suite. Our room was filthy, musty, and smelled like old smoke from the fireplace. The bathoom had chipped paint, and a rusty tub. The kitchen floor in our suite had sticky floors, the owners food in the refrigerator (including a few large frozen turkeys), and a handwritten sign telling guests to clean up their room kitchen themselves. Around the fireplace, the carpet was literally burned away about a foot around. The room seemed to be decorated from garage sale finds, with lots of silk flowers and everything was covered in dust. The sheets on the extra bed had not been washed and had something white (ugh) on them.

Now for those Palmetto Roaches. They were everywhere in our room. These are not ordinary roaches, they are about two inches long, without exaggeration. They were everywhere. We had to try to stick rolled up paper in the windows and doorframe to try to keep them out, to no avail. I know that the Savannah climate can be a draw for these huge roaches, but if I owned an inn I would have a frequent exterminator come in. Again, they have another college student come in to clean the rooms, and she is really taking advantage of them!

OK, again I want to say that these are really good people, but they just don't seem to know what they are doing. We have stayed at many, many bed and breakfasts and inns around the country and this one was one of the worst. The owners are friendly and fun, but at the end of the day it is up to them to make sure the rooms are clean and that the food is consistently good. This is not an inexpensive inn, and guests should get what they have paid for. We always choose a bed and breakfast over a chain hotel, but after staying here we couldn't wait to find a plain hotel, with a clean room and a normal breakfast!

Stayed: July 2007
9  Thank hfadventurers
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Jane and Rocky are very hospitable and wonderful people; however, the first room my new husband and I were taken to had a palmetto bug in it (read: variety of cockroach) that "flew in from the trees." The second room had a pair of pliers in it near the window air conditioner, broken slates in the doors to the closet and tape holding up the wallpaper in the bathroom. Although we felt bad having to check out early, I saw another bug and couldn't stay there comfortably. The place needs updating and a thorough bath (there were dust mites all over the fake flowers in the hallway). However, I must say that Jane and Rocky were very understanding and only charged us the one night for the room. I am just a freak about bugs, but apparently, they are all over Savannah. (Regardless of that statement, I didn't see them at anywhere else we stayed)

Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank acyen
Reviewed October 27, 2007

My husband and I had originally booked a room at a LaQuinta since we have a large, but excellent, dog. At the last minute, we wanted to stay closer to the historic district and were referred to Amythst Inn. This is a lovely inn and the hosts, Rocky and Jane, were great. Since we had a dog, we had the lower level room and it was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was also delicious. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple