“Try it - you'll like it!”
Review of Andaz Savannah

Andaz Savannah
Ranked #15 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I stayed five nights at the Avia and was most impressed with the quality of this hotel. It is less than one year old so everything is almost new. The rooms are serenely quiet and decorated with impressive carpeting and pricy fixtures. My suite had a full kitchen (with a dishwasher). The comfortable king bed with fine linens was a treat. I was impressed by the bathroom with shower that was designed in a workable, upscale style. Plus I had a terrific small top-floor balcony that looked out over the impressive, revitalized Ellis Square.

Before you go, make sure to contact Sharon Brown who handles reservations. She will work with you to see that you get exactly what you want. A very personable lady who is on top of her game.

Another key figure is Avia's concierge, Becky Williams, who knows nearly everything about Savannah since she grew up there. Her first-hand knowledge of restaurant owners, chefs and bartenders should enable you to eat your way through Savannah at the best places as I did. Recommending tours, handling weddings, getting you a car and a place to park it , hair/nails...Becky does it all while juggling many balls in the air.

The Avia is conveniently located one block from the River Walk, across Ellis Square from the City Market and is surrounded by numerous restaurants. Central downtown is only a few blocks away as you walk through Savannah's beautiful, shaded squares. I am now plotting a return trip to the Avia (there are restaurants that I did't have time for).

- Mike in Arizona

Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
AVIASavannahGM, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,
I'm happy to hear you were impressed with the quality of the décor and amenities at AVIA. it is great to know you had a wonderful five night stay. Thank you for recognizing the staff and mentioning Sharon and Becky. They all work hard to assist each guest so they can experience AVIA to the fullest. We can't wait for you to stay with us again when you come back to Savannah to dine at the restaurants you missed!
In hospitality, Pedro Perez, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,225)

Reviewed May 12, 2010

We were just passing thru Savannah on our way to Orlando and wanted to stay in historic district. We have 3 young children and wanted to book a hotel with adjourning rooms. The Avia was just phenominal with their service and just a great facility overall. They made sure to fill our request for rooms and everyone was so helpful and friendly. There was a wedding reception going on at the pool that night so it was closed to general public. The staff allowed my children access to it an hour prior to it opening the next morning. We ate breakfast downstairs as well.....excellent. I just can't say enough about this hotel and I will tell you I am kind of a hotel snob. It take a lot to impress...but the Avia did! I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,
Wow! "Best hotel we've ever stayed in" is a wonderful compliment! Thanks for the great comments regarding the hotel and the service you received from the staff. I am pleased we were able to meet the needs of your family and give your children a little extra time at the pool. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you visiting again.

Reviewed May 10, 2010

I selected this hotel for a bachelorette weekend get away for one of my friends and it met everybody's expectations! The location is great and the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. The front desk was very accommodating as we had girls flying in from NYC, Boston, CA, etc. They were able to provide early check in for two of the rooms which was nice. The pool area was wonderful- the only thing I could possibly ask for would be more lounge chairs but space is limited in the terrace area so I understand why that may not be the case. The rooms are beautiful but I wish they had an empty mini-bar for which guests could use- I guess they want you to drink the expensive drinks in the mini-bar provided rather than bring your own;) We did call down and ask if it would be possible to remove the items without getting charged to be able to use the space and they made note of it and just requested to put the items back after our use of the space, so that was very accommodating. The price for this hotel is nice if you are going with enough people to make it reasonable but if I were to go back with only husband I would most likely stay at a less expensive hotel in the same area. Savannah is a great city to visit & the nightlife is great:)

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing AVIA for your friend's bachelorette weekend get away! It sounds like the hotel and staff exceeded all of your expectations and helped make your weekend memorable. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Savannah!

Reviewed May 10, 2010

The staff are a great bunch! The hotel is in a great location and is gorgeous.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding the staff and location of the hotel. We hope to see you again at AVIA the next time you are in Savannah.

Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed for 5 nights and we were happy that we chose this hotel. I am picky and will point out a few things, but before I do, I want to emphasize that the service and the room were excellent. The room was very clean, attractive and there were lots of towels. The bathroom was terrific - spacious, two sinks, ample counter space. Good climate control. We got a one bedroom suite for a reasonable (AAA discount) price. (I discuss later why we chose the one room suite instead of just a room) Parking was reasonable ($20 a day for unltd in and out privileges) and our car was retrieved quickly.
My minor complaints to management are 1) there was a mattress topper that made the bed too soft for us - please give guests the option to have it or not - what a pain to pull the bed apart to remove it and to have to find the maids to ask that it not be used; 2) please provide paper coffee cups instead of or in addition to the ceramic mugs. Sorry, but there's lots of info out there that most hotels don't actually wash those cups and so who would take a chance with using one? 3) at least a couple of nights there were no coffee stirrers , 4) The minibar fridge only offered a short empty shelf for the guest's use ( and the remainder was motion sensitive) so it wasn't possible to put a bottle or a quart of milk in the fridge. 5) There should be a separate lower price for anyone having only cold items or hot cereal from the breakfast buffet. $14.95 is terrific for anyone having eggs, bacon, etc, but for a bowl of oatmeal it's a bit much. We only went once, and then we went off to the many lower-priced breakfast places nearby.
About the room, what is offered in each room is a little different than what you might expect , so be sure to look at the room details for each type of room and make sure you have chosen the right room for you. In our case, I happened to call the hotel to clarify something and learned that the room I was looking at was actually not right for us. For example, not all the rooms offer a bathtub in addition to the walk-in shower. Also, there is much ado in the reviews about the corner rooms with a number ending in 26. When I called, I learned that those rooms have terrific floor to ceiling windows with a great view, BUT there is no bathtub, and the room faces Ellis Square which IS a great view, but is also quite a bit noisier at night than rooms that face the pool. The reservations agent was very helpful, and we were very pleased with our room choice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
AVIASavannahGM, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding the décor of the room, hotel parking and cleanliness of the hotel. We love to hear that the service was excellent during your stay at AVIA Savannah. We will also review your suggestions and take them into consideration as we are always looking at ways to improve our guest's experience. We look forward to you staying with us again the next time you are in Savannah.

Reviewed May 7, 2010

We would have never discovered The Avia if it wasn't for Tripadvisor. It has a great find, a truly lovely hotel at reasonable price for the quality we received. The room was extremely attractive and comfortable. The front desk and concierge could not have been more helpful. The buffet breakfast (which we "purchased" the night before at a discount) was delicious with lots of good choices. The location was very close to everything. We did have a room that did not face Ellis Square so it was quiet at night. Unlike an earlier review, we did not feel "nickeled and dimed" Stay there in Savannah; it beats the others by a mile!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

It is great to know that AVIA Savannah beats other hotels by a mile! Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay. We are so delighted to know that TripAdvisor helped you discover the hotel and it ended up being a great find at a reasonable price. I also thank you for recognizing the front desk and concierge for assisting you during your stay. We look forward to you visiting again!

Reviewed May 3, 2010

The AVIA is good, but not great. The best thing about the hotel is the location. The rooms were nice, but ours didn't have a bath tub! They Nickle and dime for anything extra. Also and Saturday afternoon the Terrace/ pool was closed for a wedding- I have stayed in many hotels that are nicer than this and public areas were NEVER closed. Events may be scheduled there, but the areas were still open to guests.

AVIASavannahGM, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to thank you for staying at the AVIA Savannah hotel. I am glad to hear that your room was nice. We do have seven different room types in our hotel and some do have soaking tubs. However, your reservation indicated a room that did not have a soaking tub. We do from time to time have functions and events on our pool terrace, but we never close it down to our guests and I apologize if there was a misunderstanding about the hours or availability. Our goal is to make every guest happy during their stay with us, and we hope you’ll give us the opportunity during a future stay.
Kind regards, Pedro Perez, General Manager