“Best Savannah BB!!!”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #5 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed September 24, 2006

Each year we have an annual girl trip, this year it was to Sav, GA. We stayed at the Eliza Thomp house and wow, did we make the RIGHT decision! Not only was the house lovely..... the rooms, food, wine, people/employees, parlor and courtyard were ALL fantasic. We really enjoyed our stay and received that wonderul southern hospitality you always hear about. We had a wonderful time....thank you!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 14, 2006

This was our first stay at a bed & breakfast, and it was wonderful. The staff was very helpful – they made great recommendations for things to see and do, and even helped us make dinner and tour reservations. The breakfast in the morning and the wine and cheese (and so much more!) in the afternoon made the stay that much more enjoyable! We will certainly return to Savannah and book this wonderful B& B!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank myers
Reviewed September 2, 2006

My husband and I planned a last minute weekend getaway and chose Savannah as our location. After reading reviews and checking availability in the area, we booked the Eliza Thompson House for two nights over Labor Day weekend (Fri and Sat).
When we arrived we were greeted at the sidewalk by one of the bellmen who helped me with my bag and told us where to park. He even filled the meter for us to keep us covered until 5:00pm when streetside parking was free. Having booked one of the last rooms available the night before, we were originally to be in a smaller room with a full-size bed. However, they had some last minute openings so the desk person upgraded us to a king-size room for the same price. Both the bellman and the woman at the desk were extremely kind and helpful and that set the tone for the rest of our stay.

Our room was nicely decorated and well appointed. The bathroom while a bit small, was very updated and nicely decorated. The Bath and Body Works bath products were a nice touch. The wireless internet worked great and having brought our laptop we were easily able to plan our days with a little evening research online.

The evening wine and cheese reception was very nice and my husband really enjoyed the nightly desserts. Breakfast is in the courtyard in the morning and was a nice way to start off the day. The selections were those of a deluxe continental breakfast including some hot dishes. Our room was on the second floor of the carriage house and overlooked the courtyard. Our room was very quiet and peaceful and neither my husband or myself ever heard any noise from the courtyard including the fountain.
The biggest standout at Eliza Thompson House was definitely the service. Everyone we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful.

Savannah itself was just beautiful and I thought that the Eliza Thompson House was in a wonderful location. The street itself is beautiful and shaded. It's also right next to Bull Street which is the main street that runs north and south through most of the parks. It was about a 15 minute walk to River Street although after 2 days of walking, that was probably stretched to more like 25 minutes by the time we left. We toured the Mercer House, did a Plantation Carriage Tour, walked through Colonial Cemetary, toured the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and did a walking ghost tour with "America on Foot." The Cathedral is a must see, and also taking some kind of general tour of the city is a great idea. Ours was by horse and carriage with Plantation Tours found in the City Market, and we really enjoyed our guide, Jackie. The Mercer House tour was beautiful, albeit a bit short and the "no photography" rule was a bummer. The ghost tour was kind of fun, we had an entertaining guide named Bobby, but a little corny. We ate at a wonderful Thai/Viet restaurant for lunch called Saigon, and ate dinner at the well known "Lady and Sons", owned by Paula Dean. I thought "Lady and Sons" was very heavy food and perhaps a little overrated. My husband and I both expected something a touch less casual than it was. And even though we knew it was going to be deep fried southern food, our stomachs were not prepared.
Right before we left Savannah we made a trip to Bonaventure Cemetary. It's historic area is beautiful and fascinating, definitely worth the trip.

Overall Savannah turned out to be a great short vacation and we really enjoyed our stay at the Eliza Thompson house. We have a list of places we want to see on our next trip to Savannah and we would be happy to stay at the same B&B again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank IngridRN
Reviewed July 23, 2006

I booked this B&B and was very apprehensive because of how much it was (around $200/night) and some of the comments about the carriage house rooms. This place was wonderful. I stay in B&Bs as much as I can and this one was one of the best. It is staffed 24 hours a day and they are VERY helpful, courtious, accomodating and gracious. I peaked in many of the other rooms when they were open for cleaning and all of the ones were beautiful. I stayed in a room in the carriage house right off the courtyard where breakfast is served every morning. I am not a buffet person but the food was excellent. I was concerned that I would hear them setting up the buffet while I was sleeping but I didn't hear a thing and it was right outside my door. Personally, I think if you didn't enjoy this place then B&Bs are not for you, otherwise it will wow you. Wine and appetizers are served from 5 to 7pm and then coffee and dessert is served from 8:30 to 10pm. You can either enjoy it in the parlor or courtyard or take it to your room. I highly recommend this one.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank Karen T
Reviewed March 15, 2006

I booked this B & B to meet up with four old friends and our stay could not have been better.

It's a lovely B & B, located on a tranquil tree lined street just around the corner from the Mercer House, for those of you who have read 'THE BOOK', and within ten minutes walk of the river.

The whole house is tastefully decorated with period furniture and antiques. My room was in the carriage-house, overlooking the courtyard, it was bright and airy.

Breakfast was served in the courtyard, which has a great fountain in its center. We spent a couple of lazy afternoons drinking wine there too; they serve wine and snacks from 5-7.30.

The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank actisup
Reviewed March 3, 2006

Enjoyed other guests staying at the Inn. Accommodations were very nice. Breakfast was good. Problem with parking. Had to wait 15-20 minutes to get parking space and then didn't want to move car. Inn did not have a personal feel. We usually stay in owner bed and breakfast places. Overall inn was fine. We arrived in Savannah a day earlies than planned and called to see if we could stay one night early at same rate. We were told no we could not get that rate. We stayed at the Double Tree Hotel and really enjoyed our stay. I would stay at the Double Tree Hotel if we go back again.

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank lj
Reviewed November 22, 2005

We stayed at the Eliza Thompson House for just one night (not really long enough). We were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. We had a room in the Courtyard which was delightful. Room was a little small but immaculate. The afternoon cheese and wine reception was great as was the evening desserts. Would definitely return to this B&B again.

• Stayed: November 2005