“Most beautiful room in Savannah”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #5 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Charleston
“Most beautiful room in Savannah”
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I have stayed at the Eliza Thompson House several times, and my favorite room is #130. I checked in last night and discovered it has been1 recently renovated. It is even more beautiful then before. Great job to the Innkeeper

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
San Diego, CA
Reviewed November 21, 2008

Recently my girlfriends and I took a trip to North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. While in Georgia we stayed at The Eliza Thompson House for 3 days. The staff was very, very attentive. The moment we pulled up in front of the house, we had Tony at our car door welcoming and ushering us into the house while he paid the meter and unloaded the car. Check in was a breeze and pleasant. We had reserved the Telfair Room, which was wonderfully sized for the 4 of us ladies. Upon entrance, we found Tony had all of our luggage arranged on stands, our beds turned down, chocolates on the pillows and robes placed thoughtfully for each of us. He also had the forecast for the following day prepared on a card, which was placed by the on CD player at the bed side. These nice touches were repeated each evening. There were 2 very comfortable queen beds, with lovely linens (all appeared to be brand new). The bathroom was not huge, but a fine size. The room had multiple mirrors which came in very handy for all of us getting ready at the same time. Our door opened up to the outdoors and faced Jones Street (the street just in front of the inn). Breakfast was served each morning (on the patio), which consisted of an egg/cheese casserole, hashbrowns, grits, bacon, sausage, yougurt, fruit and a variety of breads, hot drinks and juices. Each evening a lovely spread of appetizers and wine were served in the "living room or lounge". Later each evening, there was a cake and hot drinks available in the same area. There was a computer with internet access always available, with a printer as well in the living room. I found the Eliza Thompson house (as a whole, my room, the house itself, and the outdoors) to be very comfortable and extremely pleasant. The staff really went out of their way to make us feel special and they truly seem to love their jobs. One evening for example we had another guest coming in, which we picked up at the airport. When we returned, there was no parking immediately in front of the house, but instead just across Bull Street. The attendants are so observant, Kevin in this case, saw us arrive and park a bit a way, and he raced over to help with luggage! That was outstanding! I read several reviews when deciding where to stay while in Savannah, and a few times The Eliza Thompson House had dustiness mentioned -- I went out of my way to find some trace and was happily unable!

• Liked — Everything! Location, accomodations, staff, everything was great!
  • Disliked — Parking, but even this was not a big deal!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank MaryBethOnTheGo-Go
New York City
Reviewed November 17, 2008

I stayed at the Eliza Thompson House for a couple of days prior to moving downtown to a larger hotel for a conference. My conference hotel was large but generic-- it could have been anywhere. It was more or less the same price with no breakfast and they charged 10 bucks a day for internet. At the Eliza Thompson House, however, I could always feel that I was in historic Savannah. The courtyard was stunningly beautiful, and my room with the 4 poster bed (so high that one needs a step ladder to get on--how fun!) and the period furniture was lovely. Yeah, the air conditioning unit was a little noisy, but it's often like that in other hotels, and at least here I had the option of turning it off and just keeping the lovely ceiling fan on. I enjoyed the breakfast and wine/hors-d'oeuvres. I've stayed at many hotels and believe me.. this food is good. I've had worse and I've been charged extra for it. There were always several items to choose from and they changed daily. And there's nothing like coming back late in the evening after a long day and settling on a couch in a cozy historic parlor with a piece of carrot cake, biscotti, and coffee. I'm heavily technology-dependant, so I really appreciated the fact that there was free wireless internet (there's also a computer in the parlor with a printer) and that the alarm clock included a cd player and mp3 output for my ipod. The location is great, on a quiet street surrounded by historic homes and moss-covered trees . You can easily walk from here to any area in the historic district and the waterfront. There are several historic inns in this area but you have to be careful as some of them are located on moderately busy streets or a few doors down from a tourist hot spot. I understand that parking is tricky here, but that's to be expected in any city center or historic district where the streets are small. Everyone who worked at the house was polite and helpful. They gave me a couple of good restaurant recommendations. The famous wilkes boarding house restaurant is just a few steps away. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location, Decor, Atmosphere, Little Perks
  • Disliked — not the quietest air conditioning unit
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank GothikTraveler
tell city
Reviewed November 4, 2008

My Husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. Neither of us have stayed at a bed and breakfast before. We loved our room and we loved going into the parlor during the evening to have wine and meet with the other visitors. We experienced a couple of odd things but nothing anyone could have helped. We believed our room to be haunted. Luckily, we didn't stay in the room that is considered to be haunted, though we were only a couple doors down from it. The breakfast every morning was wonderful and the staff was great. They are about to start renovating which I wouldn't complain about because you could tell it was due for a change. Either way I still recommend staying there. It's just simply beautiful.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Needed to have a relaxing and romantic weekend and found it. The Eliza Thompson House offered a spacious room and great amenities. The bell hop checked us in and gave us a great tour, including the history of the Inn.

Wonderful breakfast with everything fresh and the coffee was great! The staff made us feel as though we had been there before with friendly recommendations on where to eat and things to do.

Loved it!

• Liked — the staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Shreveport
Reviewed July 7, 2008

All I can say is: I should have read the reviews. This place is not what they make it sound to be. The inn looks fantastic on the website - trust me: it is NOT! Not only is it worn and faded it is also not very well kept. Dirt on the floors everywhere. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BB43
Maplewood
Reviewed June 26, 2008

I am not sure where to start. How about the dusty fake flower arrangements in the hallways? Or the front desk agent who was pleasant but not very informed (not to mention the more than casual dress code - crinkled shirt not tugged it). Our room was in the Carriage House (be aware: not more special than a 2 star chain hotel). The furniture was very worn and the entire room looked "unkept". The floor was dirty and I didn't dare to walk around barefoot. Breakfast is a joke. The food is very plain and nothing seems to be made fresh. The selection is large .... but not very good (unless you enjoy previously frozen pastries). It also does not add to the place that the staff hangs around in the breakfast area (which actually is part of the courtyard) after breakfast is over and uses it as a "break lounge area" for them. The had loud conversations and didn't seem to care that everyone could hear them (all that while they were having a leisurely breakfast). The staff needs to be supervised better (I didn't see the manager at all and we were there 3 nights). Savannah us a beautiful city but the Eliza Thompson House is totally over-rated.
To sum it up: dusty & dirty, worn furniture, poorly trained staff, boring and plain breakfast ....... don't go to the Eliza Thompson House.
On a positive note: the ccourtyard is very charming.

• Liked — courtyard is very pretty and the location is good
  • Disliked — service, dirty room, bad food
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends