“Lovely property on a beautiful street”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #5 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
San Francisco, CA
“Lovely property on a beautiful street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in early October. When we checked in we were immediately greeted and the bellman showed us to our room. Our room had a Jones St. entrance so we had immediate access directly on Jones St. which was really nice. It was the Chatham room and was very nice. It was very nicely decorated with two queen beds and a nice size bathroom. It had beautiful old dark pine floors and a lovely cozy feel.

As far as the food, it was pretty good. The breakfast was substantial and made fresh daily. We only had the wine & cheese one night and it was okay. There could have been more substantial appetizers, but it was fine. Each night there was a freshly made cake for dessert as well as one or two smaller items and it was nice.

Overall, I would recommend the Eliza Thompson House. The location is wonderful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Wheeling, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I wish I had stayed elsewhere. I reserved three nights at this place based on how it looked on its website. I forgot to read the reviews...big mistake. Aside from an attractive front facade and interior courtyard, the facility was a big disappointment and the bedroom was a disaster. I checked out after the second night to go elsewhere and to their credit they comped the second night because my experience was so bad.

On the positive side, most of the staff was helpful and courteous. At the reception desk Alexine was very friendly and professional and the "inn-keeper," Sheila, was very personable. She listened to my complaints without becoming defensive, but did try to honestly acknowledge the problems and correct them when she could. The breakfast food was okay and the evening hors d'oeuvres and bedtime desserts were excellent.

Now for the negatives, in no particular order: Sadly, the house is on the shabby side and my bedroom was terribly shabby. It had a real second-rate look, not luxurious at all. Under the bed it needed a good vacuuming. The shower ran hot and freezing cold, which the manager "explained" couldn't be fixed because they had plenty of hot water in the tanks but the plumbing system couldn't distribute it properly. Naturally, when I made the reservation I was not advised that I would be surprised by the shower turning ice cold, then hot, then cold. A very unpleasant surprise both days.

The first night my room was reasonably quiet, but the second night a strange, very loud buzzing noise was heard every 3 - 5 minutes for hours. It sounded like a very loud electrical short, but the receptionist told me that it was a noise related to the dysfunctional air conditioning drainage system which "couldn't be fixed." She said it only affected my room and the one below mine and didn't happen every day. It was loud enough to startle me each time it sounded; just as I was calm and not thinking about it, BZZZZZZZT!!! It would startle or awaken me again. The next morning the manager insisted they had fixed the problem prior to my stay and would call the contractor back to redo the fix. It was this sleep-shattering noise that got my second night comped.

Another problem was the threshold into the room was a tripping hazard and, indeed, I did trip. There was no sign or tape on the threshold to call one's attention to the danger. The manager said she would have her maintenance man work on it "all day" to get it fixed. The bathroom in my room was two small, strange steps up from the bedroom floor, and in the middle of the night in the darkened room it was also a tripping hazard. I did trip leaving the bathroom and would have fallen flat on my face if there hadn't been a wall immediately facing the steps, so I hit the wall instead of hitting the floor. This is a very old house and I have stayed in similar old B&Bs with bathrooms up a couple of steps. But those places always had night lights to mitigate the danger. This one did not provide a night light.

There was no full-length mirror in the room. Really? No full-length mirror in what is supposed to be a quality, luxury accommodation? Very inconvenient. And there were no window drapes to darken the room completely at night, only blinds which just didn't do the job. Too bad the bathroom was on the far side of the room, away from the windows, since the light that came in around the blinds would have provided the necessary night light. Speaking of the far side, the TV was as far from the bed as it could possibly be...maybe 15 or 20 feet. And it wasn't big enough to handle that distance.

On the second afternoon of our stay we decided to sit in the parlor and read. It is located near the reception area. The receptionist (a blond woman, not the very professional Alexine) was carrying on a VERY loud conversation with another staff member, a bellman or porter. We were subjected to the details of her planned visit to Baltimore and a variety of other subjects, raucous laughter, etc. When I politely asked her to hold it down since we were trying to read, she looked at me as if I had lobsters coming out of my ears and said nothing. She didn't lower the volume and soon was banging drawers and talking loudly some more. I had no problem with the expected sounds of other patrons checking in, just this inconsiderate harridan carrying on.

So, there you go. Stay elsewhere. If you want to spend a bit more money there are plenty of other lovely B&Bs and boutique hotels in the historic district from which to choose. If you want to save money and have a very comfortable, safe and predictable stay, try Courtyard By Marriott just a few blocks away.

Room Tip: If you're foolish enough to check in here, be sure to avoid the Johnston Room on the third floor...
2 Thank Ronnritt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We were met at the door by Brendon who greeted us by name! Took our luggage to our Courtyard room and then put a slip ($12) in our car so we could have our car stay put for 2 days and ignore the pkg meter.
Our room opened onto the Courtyard with a beautiful water fountain( loved the sound of water) . A hearty buffet breakfast was served in the courtyard, wine and "tapas" served in the parlor from 5:30-7 and dessert from 8:30-10. Bedroom was well appointed although it had a very small bathroom. But that was fine with us. Robes and turn down were a nice touch
We walked everywhere. Especially beautiful at nite! We would definitely stay at Yhe Eliza Thompson House again!
Oh yes, everyone who works there definitely exudes Southern Hospitality!!

• Stayed October 2013
Dodge Co., Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We spent a weekend at the ETH and had a gorgeous room in the main house -- very spacious and nicely furnished. The staff was warm and gracious, allowing us to stow our bags as we arrived early in the day before check in time. We received great tips on dining and indeed the afternoon wine and cheese reception and the later evening desserts provided us with some nice treats as well. I would actually categorize this property as a large B&B or a small hotel. It operates more like a hotel as the breakfast is done buffet style in the large courtyard. This was totally fine with my husband and I, but if you are looking for more conversation with other guests in the morning that is not likely to happen. The food was good and plentiful on the breakfast buffet. (I don't always like socializing before my first cup of coffee kicks in -- so this was fine by me!) The only critical thing to say is that the edges of the bathroom were not cleaned properly. The build up of dust and grime on the edges of the tiling surrounding the sink and tub kind of grossed me out -- to put it bluntly. This lack of attention to detail did not seem evident anywhere else during our stay. We had a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: Main house, second floor rooms are awesome. The J. Stephen Room has windows looking out both direct...
1 Thank Trinity100
Ellicott City,USA/Epsom, Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Eliza for 3 nights in July and the staff were very helpful, especially the guy (sorry can't remember name!) who helps direct you for parking, takes your bags, works the cocktail hour, and seems to do all the running around needed! He and the receptionists were help with directions and making dinner reservations, too. The inn is in a good location, an easy walk to the rest of the historic district, is a great bargain for the price, and we would recommend it for a short stay. We had a large bedroom in the main house, with an older but adequate bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and clean in general but the wall pictures, and window seals, etc. hadn't been dusted or cleaned in quite some time-we wanted to open the windows but they were too mucky--something that could be addressed with housekeeping. The cocktail hour and a half was a nice touch; nice wine and some simple finger food. Be careful not to ruin your appetite for dinner! Breakfast was a country hot meal, very robust with plenty of options--buffet set up in the courtyard, a nice setting. The Eliza is not luxurious or gourmet but it's generally clean and comfortable, and a very good value.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cupertino, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is a delightful B & B with a very warm staff. The breakfast was good, some things are burned on the bottom like the bisques because they used direct heat and not steam pans; otherwise the food was very tasty. There is ample coffee for those of us who start our engines in the morning with a caffeine boost. Breakfast is served in a partially covered courtyard with fountains and shuttered windows along with a garden area that makes you feel cozy and welcome to the Savannah south.

The rooms are well appointed with more than sufficient amenities. We had two queen beds with lovely comforters and importantly room 203 is on ground level, otherwise you need to be able to climb stairs. The social evening two hours is good offering wine and tasty tidbits like small sandwiches, cheese and crackers. Later in the evening when you return from dinner you will find awaiting you pasty and cake along with coffee and tea for a late snack. Yummy!

The location for walking to the many squares of Savannah is good. The parking, unless you have a handicap plaque, is not great as you must park on the street and move your car frequently; this is especially true if you are parked on the wrong side of the street for sweeping by the City, setting this small incontinence aside I recommend the Inn.

The Inn is surrounded by neighborhood restaurants. In particular we enjoyed The Public about two blocks walking from the Eliza. One can also walk the river and other shopping streets; but, we found the neighborhood more interesting and fewer corporate restaurants and tourist joints. The river area is very Disney-like; we preferred the historic area and squares to the river zone of town. The Eliza is a very accommodating location for walking and history tours.

The outside of the Inn fits right in with the charm of the area; so when you drive up for the first time and see the sign and building you might just say -- “Right choice, this looks like fun. I’m in the south.”

Room Tip: Avoid the stairs and request a ground floor room.
Orangeburg, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We celebrated our wedding anniversary here. Don't bother buying a trolley pass, you can walk everywhere from the front door faster than waiting for a trolley. The staff was very nice. We had a courtyard room. I would have loved to see the rooms in the main house, but they were all occupied. Breakfast was ok, great biscuits. We really enjoyed the wine and cheese time. We met people from Canada, Oregon, and Scotland. It was really relaxing sitting around with them having wine in the afternoons. After we met the first day, we all gathered each day to share our events with each other. Our room was very pretty. Climbing up to the bed was no problem at all. It was the perfect blend of privacy and b&b friendly.