“Elegant B&B with an eager to assist staff!!”

The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn
Ranked #7 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Florida
“Elegant B&B with an eager to assist staff!!”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

What a great place!

While driving on Gaston street I noticed a couple of B&B's however The Gastonian stood out. It was so beautiful! It has creeping fig on the walls of the mansion and the garden was amazing. So I decided to pull over and go inside. When I walked in a cheerful ready to assist concierge greeted me her name was Laura. She explained their availability and the room rate. I agreed to take the room for one night. (Eli Whitney). I always wanted to stay at a B&B so this was perfect!

While at the front desk I was greeted by the bellman Walter. He showed me to my room and helped me with my luggage. I must say both Laura and Walter were knowledgeable and eager to assist. (It’s hard to find great customer service these days.)

When I walked into the room I asked Walter what was the fresh smell in the room it was amazing. He said he wasn't sure but he'll speak with the housekeeper. Talk about going over and beyond your duties. Needless to say the bed was comfortable, the room smelled amazing and it was clean. (My type of place)

The decorations throughout the mansion added that special touch. Afternoon hor’derves were great as well. I didn't make it down stairs for dessert however I'm sure it was just as delicious. Saturday morning I ordered the Morning Glory and it was yummy. The kitchen staff was very friendly and they worked well together.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and I have already bragged about The Gastonian to my friends. I can’t wait to visit again especially to sit on the brand new verandah that’s under construction as of now.

Keep up the southern hospitality!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Trendy_at_my_place

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
jax,FL
Reviewed August 26, 2009

This place was the best thing. I went for my 5th year with my girlfriend. It has the speacialty of a Bed and breakfest with the privacy of a large hotel chain. I will be back again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
MHess
Reviewed August 25, 2009

This gorgeous Victorian B&B in the heart of the historic district in beautiful Savannah was without a doubt one of the best travel experiences we've ever had. The house is immaculate; full of beautiful art, furnishings and the bathrooms fabulous; the staff incredibly warm and generous; the food (breakfast, tea, desserts, wine and liquors) fresh, abundant and delicious. The beds, linens, towels, etc. are first class; the baths wonderful limestone and marble are large and new with old world charm; off street parking; terraces; computer, and on and on. I can't recommend this establishment highly enough.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MHess50
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed August 24, 2009

The Gastonian's two properties will take your breath away - the rooms will leave you wanting more. There is only one room that is worth the rates they charge - it is the one with the fancy tub (they'll know which one I'm talking about). All of the other rooms are cute, but not at $400 a night. The breakfast was okay and not the fancy breakfast usually served in high end B n' Bs. Also, there was little privacy and the meal was served family style. Too expensive for these little annoyances.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank proudrepublican
Brunswick, Georgia
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Years ago acutally before 2006 a group of us got together for a girls weekend.. I was so excited and talked the girls in to spending extra money to stay at the B&B... When we arrived at the B&B it really was not as nice as I would have thought for the money they charge but it did appear to be a safe place to stay as to that was my main concern. After two days it was time to check out now mind you there are five of us girls.. upon check out we are pounded with other fees in the upwards of 100's of dollars.. and low and behold it was for smoking in the room.. now there were several of us there that did smoke and to be completely honest it took all we had to make one of the guest not smoke in the room.. either way we had a soda can on the balcony and all hundled out there to smoke when we were even in the room (is this starting to sound familar as far as another story listed on the review).. well back to the story the owner Ann came out was very rude and said she knew we smoked in the room. We tried to explain that we had been on river street and that we were sure that our clothes smelled but that we did not smoke in the room and she could check the balcony to see our can of butts.. either way she said she was going to have to have the drapes cleaned blah blah blah.. said she would call the cops and so we figured who are the cops going to believe people that came down for the weekend to a party or a local business owner.. we paid the fee and left very unhappy.. but years later one of the girls found this website and even if it does nothing other than let me vent I'm so happy that I have been able to get out there what kind of B&B this is.. The only regret is that it was too late for others.. Us girls returned to river street every year for several years and stayed a few exits up and found that the cab drivers there are very friendly not to mention the price of rooms with great customer service is better..

• Stayed March 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank Girlstrip0
The_Gastonian, Owner/Management Company at The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Regarding your stay in 2006: The current owners and management of The Gastonian are sincerely sorry that you and your friends had an unpleasant stay during your visit in March of 2006. The Inn is no longer under the ownership of the individual you mentioned in your review. In any event, we sincerely regret that you had an unpleasant stay and that a negative memory is now associated with the inn. Please let us assure you that the service you'd find at The Gastonian today would exceed your expectations. Thank you for your feedback, and again, we apologize for your unpleasant stay in 2006.
The Gastonian
Gray, GA
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Made reservations wks in advance & informed them upfront there would be 4 in group. When we arrived, all 4 girls stood @ front desk while I cked in (in plain view of employee), plus an addt'l person; emp asked if we would be needed a rollaway for the 1 addt'l person not listed on reservation & we declined. No issue was made by emp about # of ppl in room. That is until ckout 2 days later. First, we were told we owed addt'l $.$$ for 3 extra ppl!!! I was told the 2-dble bed room only accomodated 2 adults, I inquired/fussed about why this was NEVER mentioned to me when I made reservation NOR when all 5 of us cked in. Got no diginified answer other than I OWE MO MONEY. I even offered the name of emp I spoke to when I made reservation, they didn't care. As I was still cussin & fussin bout extra money for 3 ppl, they then proceeded to tell me I also owed addt'l $250 for smoking in the room. That's when I really lost my temper, I admit I wasn't quiet. I asked for mgr/inkeeper (Ann Landers). She had the coldest demeanor as any mgr I've ever dealt with. I told her we DID NOT smoke in her room, she spoke to me like a child & said 'yes you did'. I said i beg your pardon, we DID NOT smoke in the room, again she said we did bc the room reaked of smoke & she had to have the linens/curtains professionally dry cleaned to get smell out. Told her I was not paying $250 bc we did not smoke in room. Reminded her that 5 ppl partied for 2 nites on River St amongst smoke & I was sure our clothes smelled but we DID NOT smoke in room. Told her to go ck our balcony & she'd find 2 cola cans w/ cig butts bc that's where we froze our butts off to smoke (for the little amt of time even in the room). Once again, she sternly said YES you did. I refused to leave until resolved & that's when she threatened to call police. I waited for 30 min & law never showed up.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
The_Gastonian, Owner/Management Company at The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2009
At The Gastonian, we sincerely appreciate guest feedback. Unfortunately we are unable to address this guest complaint because there is no record of its occurrence. The Innkeeper mentioned, Ann Landers, has not be affiliated with the property for more than five years.
Edgewater, FL
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We booked a large room with TWO double beds weeks in advance of arrival 4/9/09.
Staff did not call notify us prior that anything wrong with our reservation. My husband
and I arrived with two teens, unpacked, then were told by staff we could not have four
people in the room w/2 dbl. beds due to fire code. They wanted us to move one
person to a separate room at full price!! We could not afford this. We finally offered
to pay $75 for the "additional person" charge, which mgmt. refused to accept. So,
we were forced to pack up, find another B&B, and relocate while losing an afternoon
of our sightseeing time. Customer service at Gastonian is the worst we have encountered!!! They were unwilling to admit their error or compensate....very rude and
abrupt. I will never stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Scott K
We apologize that your experience at The Gastonian was such a difficult one. Please do accept our apology for your unpleasant time here. We are sorry we could not accommodate your requests.