“I'm so glad this B&B is getting the wrap it deserves...”

The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn
Ranked #7 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Brunswick, Georgia
“I'm so glad this B&B is getting the wrap it deserves...”
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Years ago acutally before 2006 a group of us got together for a girls weekend.. I was so excited and talked the girls in to spending extra money to stay at the B&B... When we arrived at the B&B it really was not as nice as I would have thought for the money they charge but it did appear to be a safe place to stay as to that was my main concern. After two days it was time to check out now mind you there are five of us girls.. upon check out we are pounded with other fees in the upwards of 100's of dollars.. and low and behold it was for smoking in the room.. now there were several of us there that did smoke and to be completely honest it took all we had to make one of the guest not smoke in the room.. either way we had a soda can on the balcony and all hundled out there to smoke when we were even in the room (is this starting to sound familar as far as another story listed on the review).. well back to the story the owner Ann came out was very rude and said she knew we smoked in the room. We tried to explain that we had been on river street and that we were sure that our clothes smelled but that we did not smoke in the room and she could check the balcony to see our can of butts.. either way she said she was going to have to have the drapes cleaned blah blah blah.. said she would call the cops and so we figured who are the cops going to believe people that came down for the weekend to a party or a local business owner.. we paid the fee and left very unhappy.. but years later one of the girls found this website and even if it does nothing other than let me vent I'm so happy that I have been able to get out there what kind of B&B this is.. The only regret is that it was too late for others.. Us girls returned to river street every year for several years and stayed a few exits up and found that the cab drivers there are very friendly not to mention the price of rooms with great customer service is better..

• Stayed March 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank Girlstrip0
The_Gastonian, Owner/Management Company at The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Regarding your stay in 2006: The current owners and management of The Gastonian are sincerely sorry that you and your friends had an unpleasant stay during your visit in March of 2006. The Inn is no longer under the ownership of the individual you mentioned in your review. In any event, we sincerely regret that you had an unpleasant stay and that a negative memory is now associated with the inn. Please let us assure you that the service you'd find at The Gastonian today would exceed your expectations. Thank you for your feedback, and again, we apologize for your unpleasant stay in 2006.
The Gastonian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Gray, GA
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Made reservations wks in advance & informed them upfront there would be 4 in group. When we arrived, all 4 girls stood @ front desk while I cked in (in plain view of employee), plus an addt'l person; emp asked if we would be needed a rollaway for the 1 addt'l person not listed on reservation & we declined. No issue was made by emp about # of ppl in room. That is until ckout 2 days later. First, we were told we owed addt'l $.$$ for 3 extra ppl!!! I was told the 2-dble bed room only accomodated 2 adults, I inquired/fussed about why this was NEVER mentioned to me when I made reservation NOR when all 5 of us cked in. Got no diginified answer other than I OWE MO MONEY. I even offered the name of emp I spoke to when I made reservation, they didn't care. As I was still cussin & fussin bout extra money for 3 ppl, they then proceeded to tell me I also owed addt'l $250 for smoking in the room. That's when I really lost my temper, I admit I wasn't quiet. I asked for mgr/inkeeper (Ann Landers). She had the coldest demeanor as any mgr I've ever dealt with. I told her we DID NOT smoke in her room, she spoke to me like a child & said 'yes you did'. I said i beg your pardon, we DID NOT smoke in the room, again she said we did bc the room reaked of smoke & she had to have the linens/curtains professionally dry cleaned to get smell out. Told her I was not paying $250 bc we did not smoke in room. Reminded her that 5 ppl partied for 2 nites on River St amongst smoke & I was sure our clothes smelled but we DID NOT smoke in room. Told her to go ck our balcony & she'd find 2 cola cans w/ cig butts bc that's where we froze our butts off to smoke (for the little amt of time even in the room). Once again, she sternly said YES you did. I refused to leave until resolved & that's when she threatened to call police. I waited for 30 min & law never showed up.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
The_Gastonian, Owner/Management Company at The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2009
At The Gastonian, we sincerely appreciate guest feedback. Unfortunately we are unable to address this guest complaint because there is no record of its occurrence. The Innkeeper mentioned, Ann Landers, has not be affiliated with the property for more than five years.
Edgewater, FL
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We booked a large room with TWO double beds weeks in advance of arrival 4/9/09.
Staff did not call notify us prior that anything wrong with our reservation. My husband
and I arrived with two teens, unpacked, then were told by staff we could not have four
people in the room w/2 dbl. beds due to fire code. They wanted us to move one
person to a separate room at full price!! We could not afford this. We finally offered
to pay $75 for the "additional person" charge, which mgmt. refused to accept. So,
we were forced to pack up, find another B&B, and relocate while losing an afternoon
of our sightseeing time. Customer service at Gastonian is the worst we have encountered!!! They were unwilling to admit their error or compensate....very rude and
abrupt. I will never stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank kbngreen
We apologize that your experience at The Gastonian was such a difficult one. Please do accept our apology for your unpleasant time here. We are sorry we could not accommodate your requests.
Sydney
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed here the night after our wedding and were looking forward to a romantic, relaxing evening after such a hectic previous week, and before a long overseas flight and return to work the following day. It's been a few years but everytime I think of Savannah, the memory of the city and our wedding is tainted by the Gastonian.

To start with positives, the breakfast was very nice, the home charming and romantic, and the complimentary wine & hors d’oeuvres, dessert and port also very nice touches.

However the customer service was so poor, especially for a B&B and for one charging these prices, that I would never return or recommend the Gastonian to anyone else.

A friend supposedly arranged a bottle of champagne for us. We never received. I'm not sure what happened, but we also didn't receive any personal greeting or acknowledgement (not a big deal, but for a B&B and for the price we paid I would've expected a friendly greeting or note).

Our room was OK, but not very special or worth the price. It wasn't filthy as some have described, but not as clean or well-maintained as it should have been. However our towels were threadbare (literally had some holes), the worst I've seen at any hotel.

The above were annoyances, but what was inexcusable was that we could not sleep at night due to light on balcony brightening our room. When I went downstairs to see if it could be turned off or adjusted I was told it could not by a gentleman who was not friendly or helpful and we were basically left to toss and turn for hours.

I filled out a feedback form with the above issues and others which I can no longer remember and heard nothing back. I've stayed at chain hotels who actually seek feedback after a stay and reply to feedback submitted. Again, I would've expected more from a B&B.

This was by far the worst B&B I've ever stayed in. Some of our guests stayed at the Planters Inn for about half as much and had nothing but positive things to say.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank aec4ck
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We loved the Gastonian, It is an impressive old building in a great location. We walked most of the time and didn't need our car.
The food is great and the tea hour a fantastic way to relax a little in the afternoon as well as to meet other guests. Our room was on the third floor: large, light and very comfortable.
The staff is clearly enjoying what they are doing and the young German lady very helpful and knowledgeable about the city. She was around during tea time both days to help with dinner suggestions or answer any other questions!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maryjoonthego
Southern New Jersey
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I paid almost a thousand dollars for a gift certificate for my daughter and I to celebrate her thirtieth birthday. She always wanted to go to Savannah. The certificate was to expire around New Years. Upon my mother/her grandmother's emergency cancer surgery, we had to cancel our November 15 stay. My mother was given one to three months to live. The Gastonian would only extend the certificate to March 10. Our loved one died March 18. The Management of the Gastonian would not honor the gift certificate even if we supplied them with my mother's death certificate. My lesson is learned for ever. ADVICE: MAKE A COPY OF THE GASTONIAN WEB SITE, WRAP IT UP. DO NOT CHARGE A THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A GIFT CERTIFICATE. SHOULD AN EMERGENCY ARISE, YOU WILL NEVER SEE YOUR MONEY AGAIN. . WITH A NORMAL RESERVATION IF YOU GIVE A CERTAIN amount of notice, you can cancel with no penalty, credit to your card that was holding the reservation. The Gastonian may advertise "the most romantic b & b in Savannah, however the management has no heart. Diane Villecco, Mickleton, New Jersey

• Stayed March 2009
8 Thank DianeVillecco
South Carolina
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed in the Honeymoon suite. It was great. We loved the look of the place, the location is great, it is right in the middle of downtown and everything is within walking distance. The room was beautiful and the people were very nice and friendly. Breakfast was great and the dining room was really cool.

I like the place alot because it seemed different. Very atmospheric and all kinds of little touches that just made the place charming. The room was really nice with a big huge jacuzzi tub. At first we didnt know how to turn it on, then the guy at the desk told us how you had to switch the light switch then use the jet button and it worked fine. It was very cool staying in a old mansion with big tall rooms. No closet, wich would have been nice, but the armoir has drawers and it worked fine.

The staff was very helpful with finding some of the locations we wanted to go to, and helped us make reservations and get set up with all we needed. We plan on staying there again in a year or so when we go back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple