“Put out on the street!!”

The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn
Ranked #6 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Edgewater, FL
“Put out on the street!!”
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We booked a large room with TWO double beds weeks in advance of arrival 4/9/09.
Staff did not call notify us prior that anything wrong with our reservation. My husband
and I arrived with two teens, unpacked, then were told by staff we could not have four
people in the room w/2 dbl. beds due to fire code. They wanted us to move one
person to a separate room at full price!! We could not afford this. We finally offered
to pay $75 for the "additional person" charge, which mgmt. refused to accept. So,
we were forced to pack up, find another B&B, and relocate while losing an afternoon
of our sightseeing time. Customer service at Gastonian is the worst we have encountered!!! They were unwilling to admit their error or compensate....very rude and
abrupt. I will never stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Scott K
The_Gastonian, Owner/Management Company at The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
We apologize that your experience at The Gastonian was such a difficult one. Please do accept our apology for your unpleasant time here. We are sorry we could not accommodate your requests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Sydney
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed here the night after our wedding and were looking forward to a romantic, relaxing evening after such a hectic previous week, and before a long overseas flight and return to work the following day. It's been a few years but everytime I think of Savannah, the memory of the city and our wedding is tainted by the Gastonian.

To start with positives, the breakfast was very nice, the home charming and romantic, and the complimentary wine & hors d’oeuvres, dessert and port also very nice touches.

However the customer service was so poor, especially for a B&B and for one charging these prices, that I would never return or recommend the Gastonian to anyone else.

A friend supposedly arranged a bottle of champagne for us. We never received. I'm not sure what happened, but we also didn't receive any personal greeting or acknowledgement (not a big deal, but for a B&B and for the price we paid I would've expected a friendly greeting or note).

Our room was OK, but not very special or worth the price. It wasn't filthy as some have described, but not as clean or well-maintained as it should have been. However our towels were threadbare (literally had some holes), the worst I've seen at any hotel.

The above were annoyances, but what was inexcusable was that we could not sleep at night due to light on balcony brightening our room. When I went downstairs to see if it could be turned off or adjusted I was told it could not by a gentleman who was not friendly or helpful and we were basically left to toss and turn for hours.

I filled out a feedback form with the above issues and others which I can no longer remember and heard nothing back. I've stayed at chain hotels who actually seek feedback after a stay and reply to feedback submitted. Again, I would've expected more from a B&B.

This was by far the worst B&B I've ever stayed in. Some of our guests stayed at the Planters Inn for about half as much and had nothing but positive things to say.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank aec4ck
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We loved the Gastonian, It is an impressive old building in a great location. We walked most of the time and didn't need our car.
The food is great and the tea hour a fantastic way to relax a little in the afternoon as well as to meet other guests. Our room was on the third floor: large, light and very comfortable.
The staff is clearly enjoying what they are doing and the young German lady very helpful and knowledgeable about the city. She was around during tea time both days to help with dinner suggestions or answer any other questions!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maryjoonthego
Southern New Jersey
Reviewed March 22, 2009

I paid almost a thousand dollars for a gift certificate for my daughter and I to celebrate her thirtieth birthday. She always wanted to go to Savannah. The certificate was to expire around New Years. Upon my mother/her grandmother's emergency cancer surgery, we had to cancel our November 15 stay. My mother was given one to three months to live. The Gastonian would only extend the certificate to March 10. Our loved one died March 18. The Management of the Gastonian would not honor the gift certificate even if we supplied them with my mother's death certificate. My lesson is learned for ever. ADVICE: MAKE A COPY OF THE GASTONIAN WEB SITE, WRAP IT UP. DO NOT CHARGE A THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A GIFT CERTIFICATE. SHOULD AN EMERGENCY ARISE, YOU WILL NEVER SEE YOUR MONEY AGAIN. . WITH A NORMAL RESERVATION IF YOU GIVE A CERTAIN amount of notice, you can cancel with no penalty, credit to your card that was holding the reservation. The Gastonian may advertise "the most romantic b & b in Savannah, however the management has no heart. Diane Villecco, Mickleton, New Jersey

• Stayed March 2009
8 Thank DianeVillecco
South Carolina
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed in the Honeymoon suite. It was great. We loved the look of the place, the location is great, it is right in the middle of downtown and everything is within walking distance. The room was beautiful and the people were very nice and friendly. Breakfast was great and the dining room was really cool.

I like the place alot because it seemed different. Very atmospheric and all kinds of little touches that just made the place charming. The room was really nice with a big huge jacuzzi tub. At first we didnt know how to turn it on, then the guy at the desk told us how you had to switch the light switch then use the jet button and it worked fine. It was very cool staying in a old mansion with big tall rooms. No closet, wich would have been nice, but the armoir has drawers and it worked fine.

The staff was very helpful with finding some of the locations we wanted to go to, and helped us make reservations and get set up with all we needed. We plan on staying there again in a year or so when we go back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisMSouthCarolina
Columbia, SC
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We stayed at the Gastonian for Valentine's Day and loved it. We arrived to check-in half an hour early and had to wait while the front desk staff switched shifts. I was slightly irritated at having to wait while the staff consulted over mundane details about whether or not paper was in the printer, but there was a lovely parlor to wait in, and after all - we did arrive early.

Once we were checked-in, Walter showed us to our room, which was a ground-floor room with an entrance off of the street. I was a little concerned about the entrance, but it turned out to be a great convenience because we didn't have to traipse through the Inn each time we came and went. Walter was very helpful and friendly as he gave us directions, carried our luggage, and showed us how to work the fireplace.

The room itself was gorgeous. Beautiful, spacious, excellent linens, superb antique furnishings. I wish I had asked where they found their furniture. As for the bathroom, it was huge! There was some soap scum on the glass shower enclosure, but it was clean as was the rest of the bathroom. There was a small bit of debris in the tub when I turned on the jets, but I always rinse out the tub and test the jets before I use a hotel tub.

When we arrived back at the Gastonian after dinner, the bed had been turned down, the room straightened and we had fresh towels. I wasn't overly impressed with pralines (try the Savannah Candy Kitchen instead) but it was a nice gesture and departure from a mint or chocolate. We gave our breakfast order to the desk staff who was very helpful and friendly to us.

For breakfast, we were alone in the kitchen with the staff because we got up so late (who would want to get out of that bed?!?). The staff wasn't very chatty with us, but they were friendly and efficient, plus we were talking to each other. Breakfast was excellent and was plenty of food for us.

In general, I was impressed. Our room was beautiful, the bed was comfortable and the staff was helpful. The Inn isn't close to the riverfront, but it is in a nice, quiet location that is wonderful for strolling and enjoying the city. The staff wasn't overly friendly or chatty, but I didn't stay at a romantic B&B because I wanted to make friends with the staff. They did a wonderful job of providing everything we needed while letting us be alone. In summary, if you are looking for a lovely place to get away for a quick romantic weekend, the Gastonian is perfection.

• Liked — Beautiful room
  • Disliked — Occasionally disinterested front-desk staff
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank missyucn
Grovetown, GA
Reviewed December 1, 2008

i honestly wonder where these other people have stayed in their lives in order to cut down the quality and quaintness of this beautiful Inn. When I checked in they greeted me by my first name and introduced themselves using their first names also. As I was checking in, my mother was out in the car waiting with the luggage. She would have had a very difficult time climbing the front steps because the steps were very steep which is the case in most older homes. When I went out to get her, the bellman, Chris had already gotten her and had escorted her to her room. He set her luggage in her room, got a fire started for her and went to get her some ice.
The Gastonian has several rooms on the street level for the convenience of elderly guests that would have problems with all the stairs in the Inn. She did have to go up some steps to get to breakfast or she could have chosen to eat in her room which was her option. She was able to go up the back steps from the parking area very well because they were not as steep. Her room was very spacious and beautifully decorated. Since stairs were not a problem for me, I was placed on the next floor up. My room was absolutely beautiful, clean and supplied with anything I could want. I loved the whirlpool tub I had and the water closet was a fun touch. The bellman Chris also came to my room and started my fireplace for me and also got me some ice for the water that was placed in my room.
I found the staff all very friendly and very eager to please. I felt guilty asking for things like the ice water but the manager, Melanie Bliss said that was their job and insisted that I report directly to her if I should have any problems or concerns which I did not have.
The breakfast was wonderful and the cooks were the height of Southern Hospitality. We ate and chatted with them thru the breakfast...very friendly people.
We went for a walk in the Forsythe park which the staff had directed us to go and see because it would be an easier walk for my mother. The staff was always at hand to help and offered things before I even asked for it. When coming home one night from dinner with family, the evening manager offered me some nice hot tea for the evening before I retire. I wasn't ready to sleep just yet and he said just to pick the kind of tea I wanted and he would bring it to me. Now that is service with a smile.
I would highly recommend this Inn to anyone who enjoys the older type hotels/Inns. You have to realize that you are staying in history and not a brand new hotel that is a spit and shine. The alure of this Inn is it's oldness and creaks and moans which only add to it's character.
I would stay again and again and try out each and every room if I could. I snooped into the rooms with the doors open and believe me, all of the rooms were very beautiful.
Enjoy your stay when you go and if you don't like something, speak up....they are very accomidating, pleasant and friendly people. Southern hospitality abounds here....come with your smiles and be prepared to enjoy a luxury you don't always get.

• Liked — Elegant and great representation of the times and history of the area.
  • Disliked — Nothing at all.....everything was great.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family