“Beautiful!”

Ranked #7 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Orlando, Florida
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at the Gastonian during our honeymoon trip to Savannah. My husband is not the B&B type, so it took some convincing to make this happen. The Gastonian was absolutely wonderful! We ordered the tray service breakfast during our entire stay and it was great! The food was hot and delicious and we enjoyed being able to relax in our room while eating. We never made it to the wine social hours nor did we partake in the cordials and desserts that were offered every night but it was certainly a nice touch. The concierges gave us some great recommendations of things to see and do in the area. The staff was more than friendly and accomodating, we had an issue with the heat in our room (the warmest the room ever got was 67 degrees, with the fireplace on). After calling down to the concierge several times with no resolution, they moved us to another room with working heat. This was not just any room, they moved us to one of the penthouse suites for our last 2 nights at the property. It was absolutely fabulous! 2 fireplaces and the biggest clawfoot tub I have ever seen! We really got to experience the feeling of the city while staying at the Gastonian and will definelty be back! I would and have recommended this property to anyone even thinking about visiting Savannah. It is well worth the money to stay at the Gastonian!

Room Tip: Spend the money on the Penthouse, it's well worth it and ask for the top floor!
1 Thank abragl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in our first ever B & B experience. First visit to Savannah and wanted to experience the feeling of the city without staying in a chain hotel. The Gastonian was the perfect choice. As mentioned in other reviews, the staff was most welcoming, the wine get together before dinner and the sherry after was a nice touch - so was all the special treats on offer. Breakfast was great and we ate in the "kitchen" each day (did not try the tray service). Our room was nice with a queen size bed, working fireplace and a shared balcony. It was nice to sit outside with a glass of wine and look at the city. The balcony is very small however and it was somewhat annoying when our neighbours took over the table and chairs right outside our door, so we had to keep the curtains closed as they were sitting there looking right into our room. The rooms are a bit noisy, all the floors squeak - even someone walking in the room next door makes your floors squeak. One evening I was sitting on the bed and someone in the room next door sneezed. I said "Gesundheit" the person said "Thank You!" The food is very good, the staff is excellent - especially loved Walter! Be aware tho that there are very steep front stairs up to the hotel. Once inside there are no elevators, just 3 flights of stairs (depending on which floor you are on). Parking is very limited, perhaps 6 cars only can be accommodated and you must leave your keys with the front desk so they can move the cars around when someone wants out. These quirks are not complaints just wanting to provide info for future visitors. I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Sandye7685
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just spent a weekend at the Gastonian. Room was very spacious. Excellent breakfasts which you can either enjoy in the downstairs dining room, or schedule a tray to be brought to your room. We tried both, and because of the warm weather we were able to have our breakfast on a table on a small porch outside of our room one morning. Staff was very gracious and friendly. Enjoyed the late afternoon wine and snacks, which was a great opportunity to meet other guests and compare notes on what to see, where to eat, etc. They also do an evening dessert and port/sherry/schnapps service (desserts were yummy). This hotel is on a beautiful street near many of the famous homes and sites. Easy (free) street parking options.

Room Tip: Stayed in Julia Scarborough which had a working fireplace and a HUGE bathroom.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EBY_NYC
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This place has all the amenities you need for a true Savanah B&B experience! Lots of sherry, coffees, teas and cheese grits to make it interesting with a giant whirlpool bath! Don't miss the southern gourmet breakfast and the wine. Cool and comfy with large rooms and a historical feel you need to be a good walker to get from here to the riverfront.

Room Tip: Go for the whirlpool bath if you have the bucks$
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AutobahnRacer
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night in the Eli Whitney room to celebrate my birthday. I should start by saying we have never stayed in a bed and breakfast and are not exactly the BnB type. We are both 25 and usually stay in what I'd classify as modern/chic hotels. But I really wanted to stay here while in Savannah and we are so happy we did.

First off, the concierge/front desk guy was probably the nicest guy I have ever met. He remembered it was my birthday and wished me happy birthday upon checking in. He made us feel really important even though we were only staying one night and honestly had booked the cheapest room ever because this was a little out of our price range. We also rolled up in sweatshirts while everyone else was quite well dressesd. Still, he treated us the exact same and even carried my suitcase up the stairs for me. They had left a birthday card for me in my room! How sweet. Later on, he suggested some fun places for us to go shopping and took the time to give us the history of the building. Really, he made the entire trip awesome. (If anyone from the Gastonian is reading this, I forgot his name but he was working at 3:30PM on Monday October 29)

The wine and cheese party downstairs was really nice. It was totally worth checking out. I had a glass of tasty white wine and a few of the chicken salad/bread pieces. The food was fantastic, and they lit a fire in the parlor so you could sit and mingle if you wanted. It was a nice addition and allowed you to spend some time taking in the cool furniture and beauty of the building itself. They also have a nice book in the front with a lot of restaurants and copies of their menus so you can pick a place for dinner and then get the concierge to make you a reservation. We did not go to the desserts and cordial party, but as we were leaving for dinner we saw many pretty cakes and a lot of guests enjoying themselves by the fire.

Our room was lovely. It was a queen sized, four postered bed that looked right at the fire (it's gas, so you dont have to worry about putting it out or smoke). There were a few chairs, some lovely pieces of furniture and a tv/dvd player. To be honest, we did not turn on the TV so I can't comment on it, but it appeared in the welcome book they had a solid selection of channels. The bed was super soft and comfortable, and they gave you a ton of pillows to prop yourself up on and watch the fire. The shower was really nice and the linens were clean and comfy. They even provided a bathrobe :) The towels and bath amenities were nice, though they weren't super fancy or anything like that. I liked that better, but could see how some travelers may disagree. The room has huge ceilings and beautiful crown molding with large windows dressed in lovely drapes, so it was wondeful looking.

We got our breakfast served to us via tray service, which was really neat. The guy knocked to let you know he was there, but once you said come in he literally put it on the bed for you! Talk about service. You order what you want the night before (they have options like omlettes, fruit, pancakes etc. though I think it probably changes) and it comes with scones, orange juice and coffee. The food was not anything super special, but it was good, hot and exactly what we ordered. And totally awesome to eat it in bed!

The only complaint I have is not actually a complaint so much as a warning to others. Since it IS a house, noises are not muffled as much as in your typical hotel room. If you are a light sleeper or tend to be , ahem, loud in your bedroom, this could be awkward. It didn't bother me in the least, but I could hear every step the lady upstairs took and when my neighbor sneezed in her bathroom. I figure this is to be expected in older houses like this, but my boyfriend was surprised and it did make certain activities slightly uncomfortable for fear of others hearing a squeek. Not trying to be dirty, just being honest :)

All in all this was an excellent stay and I would have loved to have stayed a few more days. It is full of southern charm from the lovely decorations to the amazing staff they have employed.

Room Tip: The top floor (if you can handle steps as there is no elevator) is quieter as there will be nobody o...
3 Thank NorthSideLvr
mission viejo, ca
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Highly recommend this B&B because of the friendliness and knowledge of the staff and quality of of the food. The afternoon wind and appetizers plus the evening dessert and sherry were particularly well done. Provided additonal opportunities to interact with other guests.

Michigan
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We booked our elopement at The Gastonian and it was better than we could have imagined. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was two large rooms with a giant tub in the second and two beautiful fireplaces. The houses and courtyard were beautiful and the service was great. We loved having breakfast in our room on our wedding day and the day after. I also enjoyed that it was a little further away from the river which made it peaceful and made you feel like you were a part of the city rather than a visitor. Overall, our stay was wonderful and we would recommend if you want a taste of southern hospitality.

1 Thank docious1