“Get the Full Savanah B & B experience”

The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn
Ranked #4 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This place has all the amenities you need for a true Savanah B&B experience! Lots of sherry, coffees, teas and cheese grits to make it interesting with a giant whirlpool bath! Don't miss the southern gourmet breakfast and the wine. Cool and comfy with large rooms and a historical feel you need to be a good walker to get from here to the riverfront.

Room Tip: Go for the whirlpool bath if you have the bucks$
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AutobahnRacer

Reviewed October 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night in the Eli Whitney room to celebrate my birthday. I should start by saying we have never stayed in a bed and breakfast and are not exactly the BnB type. We are both 25 and usually stay in what I'd classify as modern/chic hotels. But I really wanted to stay here while in Savannah and we are so happy we did.

First off, the concierge/front desk guy was probably the nicest guy I have ever met. He remembered it was my birthday and wished me happy birthday upon checking in. He made us feel really important even though we were only staying one night and honestly had booked the cheapest room ever because this was a little out of our price range. We also rolled up in sweatshirts while everyone else was quite well dressesd. Still, he treated us the exact same and even carried my suitcase up the stairs for me. They had left a birthday card for me in my room! How sweet. Later on, he suggested some fun places for us to go shopping and took the time to give us the history of the building. Really, he made the entire trip awesome. (If anyone from the Gastonian is reading this, I forgot his name but he was working at 3:30PM on Monday October 29)

The wine and cheese party downstairs was really nice. It was totally worth checking out. I had a glass of tasty white wine and a few of the chicken salad/bread pieces. The food was fantastic, and they lit a fire in the parlor so you could sit and mingle if you wanted. It was a nice addition and allowed you to spend some time taking in the cool furniture and beauty of the building itself. They also have a nice book in the front with a lot of restaurants and copies of their menus so you can pick a place for dinner and then get the concierge to make you a reservation. We did not go to the desserts and cordial party, but as we were leaving for dinner we saw many pretty cakes and a lot of guests enjoying themselves by the fire.

Our room was lovely. It was a queen sized, four postered bed that looked right at the fire (it's gas, so you dont have to worry about putting it out or smoke). There were a few chairs, some lovely pieces of furniture and a tv/dvd player. To be honest, we did not turn on the TV so I can't comment on it, but it appeared in the welcome book they had a solid selection of channels. The bed was super soft and comfortable, and they gave you a ton of pillows to prop yourself up on and watch the fire. The shower was really nice and the linens were clean and comfy. They even provided a bathrobe :) The towels and bath amenities were nice, though they weren't super fancy or anything like that. I liked that better, but could see how some travelers may disagree. The room has huge ceilings and beautiful crown molding with large windows dressed in lovely drapes, so it was wondeful looking.

We got our breakfast served to us via tray service, which was really neat. The guy knocked to let you know he was there, but once you said come in he literally put it on the bed for you! Talk about service. You order what you want the night before (they have options like omlettes, fruit, pancakes etc. though I think it probably changes) and it comes with scones, orange juice and coffee. The food was not anything super special, but it was good, hot and exactly what we ordered. And totally awesome to eat it in bed!

The only complaint I have is not actually a complaint so much as a warning to others. Since it IS a house, noises are not muffled as much as in your typical hotel room. If you are a light sleeper or tend to be , ahem, loud in your bedroom, this could be awkward. It didn't bother me in the least, but I could hear every step the lady upstairs took and when my neighbor sneezed in her bathroom. I figure this is to be expected in older houses like this, but my boyfriend was surprised and it did make certain activities slightly uncomfortable for fear of others hearing a squeek. Not trying to be dirty, just being honest :)

All in all this was an excellent stay and I would have loved to have stayed a few more days. It is full of southern charm from the lovely decorations to the amazing staff they have employed.

Room Tip: The top floor (if you can handle steps as there is no elevator) is quieter as there will be nobody o...
3  Thank NorthSideLvr
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Highly recommend this B&B because of the friendliness and knowledge of the staff and quality of of the food. The afternoon wind and appetizers plus the evening dessert and sherry were particularly well done. Provided additonal opportunities to interact with other guests.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We booked our elopement at The Gastonian and it was better than we could have imagined. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was two large rooms with a giant tub in the second and two beautiful fireplaces. The houses and courtyard were beautiful and the service was great. We loved having breakfast in our room on our wedding day and the day after. I also enjoyed that it was a little further away from the river which made it peaceful and made you feel like you were a part of the city rather than a visitor. Overall, our stay was wonderful and we would recommend if you want a taste of southern hospitality.

1  Thank docious1
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I, our families, and our wedding party recently stayed at the Gastonian for our destination wedding, and I cannot say enough wonderful things about the property. We actually booked the entire B&B for our small wedding back in April, but had to cancel the whole booking due to some of our guests having scheduling conflicts. When I called them frantically to rearrange our plans, Michael, the innkeeper, was calming and reassuring, and handled everything smoothly. We had several instances before the wedding where guests wanted to switch rooms, and the staff was always gracious and accommodating. We also had a child staying in our party, and even though the Gastonian now has an over-21 policy, they reassured us that the little girl would be more than welcome since we had booked our stay before the policy change.

When we arrived, Walter (a consummate gentleman and the shining star on the Gastonian's staff) showed us to our room and helped us with our bags. We stayed in the Caracalla Suite (more on that later) for three nights, then switched to the Pulaski room for our fourth night. As many of the other review mention, breakfast in the morning begins with muffins and scones, followed by a few yummy choices. The menu is a little bit limited, but they will do eggs and omelettes just about any way you want them. The afternoon cocktail hour consists of wine and some light h'ors d'oeuvers -- mini quiches, canapes with chicken salad or sliced cucumber, small biscuits with herbed butter, that sort of thing. Dessert hour features cordials and usually cookies or cake slices. And yes, the hotel does just skirt the edge of the historic district, but I like the excuse to wander through the city (and it didn't hurt to walk off all the extra calories I took in during my stay!)

The decor is classic bed and breakfast without feeling stuffy; we especially enjoyed the Pulaski room. (If I could have taken that beautiful trunk from the Pulaski restroom, I would have!)

A few notes about the Caracalla Suite. I did not have a very large bridal party (three adults and one child), but when you have five people in a room, plus a hair stylist, plus a makeup artist, PLUS a photographer, it helps to have a large room so people can move around, and the Caracalla is definitely it. The room features a huge draped bed, a ridiculously large hot tub/bathtub, two working fireplaces, and a long vanity with pedestal sinks at each end. The toilet is located in small closet carved into the room (word to the wise: the lock is a bit stiff). While the room is beautiful and the space was much appreciated while I was getting ready for the wedding, overall it is probably not the most romantic room on the premises -- next time, we'll try to stay in the Pulaski or Scarborough rooms. And as mentioned by other reviewers, some of these rooms do not have showers; instead, they have tubs with handheld shower nozzles, which is wonderful for relaxation but not great when you just want an efficient shower before beginning your day.

The only real complaint I have was that one of the staff chose the morning of the wedding to drop a small bomb on me: the hotel had held an extra room open for us, although we had canceled the room weeks earlier (a guest was not able to make it). Since we had put deposits on all the rooms, I got to spend my wedding morning (which is stressful enough) worrying that my husband and I would be charged an extra $700. Luckily they straightened everything out, but they could have been a bit more delicate and waited until the day after to address the situation with us.

Room Tip: Before booking, call and ask the staff which rooms have showers and which do not.
1  Thank JupiterKLP
Reviewed October 17, 2012

A must stay when in Savannah beautiful inn, food is delicious staff goes above and beyond. We will be back. Stayed in room 106 superior king room a little dark on the lowet level of the main house. Would have perferred a little more light with a view,but room was beautiful !

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just returned home from our third visit to the Gastonian and have yet to find a complaint. Each of the 17 rooms is unique and we have chosen to stay in a different one each visit. The rooms have all been clean, spacious and nicely appointed. The afternoon snacks and evening cordials are a nice touch and offer guests an opportunity to socialize. We were fortunate to have met several nice people this trip and we really enjoyed the conversations. The turn down service and full breakfast choices are also really nice touches that can't be found in a typical hotel.

The structure is nice but the staff is what makes the Gastonian special. The staff can't be beat and definitly make you feel welcome. When we arrived we were happy to see familiar faces. Karen went out of her way to help us find the location of the greek fesitval by looking it up and printing the walking directions. Walter was nothing but friendly and welcoming as he showed us our room and made sure that we had everything that we needed. He knows the area well and is an excellent resource if you need help finding things to see and do. James prepares a great breakfast and is also very engaging. As we were leaving, we passed by some housekeepers who were quick to ask how we enjoyed our stay before wishing us a safe trip home. Again, the staff is very welcoming and they make you feel like a guest.

The location of the Gastonian is also quite convenient. We like to park the car when we arrive and walk for the rest of our stay. However, there is a plethora of other options including pedicabs, bus service, and even carriage rides.

Again, another great visit. We are already looking forward to planning next years trip.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms facing Gaston St. can be a bit noisy from cars passing by. We also prefer the wal...