“Another great stay”

Ranked #7 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta, Georgia
“Another great stay”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just returned home from our third visit to the Gastonian and have yet to find a complaint. Each of the 17 rooms is unique and we have chosen to stay in a different one each visit. The rooms have all been clean, spacious and nicely appointed. The afternoon snacks and evening cordials are a nice touch and offer guests an opportunity to socialize. We were fortunate to have met several nice people this trip and we really enjoyed the conversations. The turn down service and full breakfast choices are also really nice touches that can't be found in a typical hotel.

The structure is nice but the staff is what makes the Gastonian special. The staff can't be beat and definitly make you feel welcome. When we arrived we were happy to see familiar faces. Karen went out of her way to help us find the location of the greek fesitval by looking it up and printing the walking directions. Walter was nothing but friendly and welcoming as he showed us our room and made sure that we had everything that we needed. He knows the area well and is an excellent resource if you need help finding things to see and do. James prepares a great breakfast and is also very engaging. As we were leaving, we passed by some housekeepers who were quick to ask how we enjoyed our stay before wishing us a safe trip home. Again, the staff is very welcoming and they make you feel like a guest.

The location of the Gastonian is also quite convenient. We like to park the car when we arrive and walk for the rest of our stay. However, there is a plethora of other options including pedicabs, bus service, and even carriage rides.

Again, another great visit. We are already looking forward to planning next years trip.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms facing Gaston St. can be a bit noisy from cars passing by. We also prefer the wal...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Saratoga, CA
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We enjoyed staying at this wonderful Inn. The Inn comprises of two old restored houses joined by a elevated walkway overlooking a lovely garden.

Our room was nicely appointed with antique furnishings, the bed was very comfortable.

The stay included breakfast, afternoon snacks, and deserts in the evening plus soft drinks and wine.

The staff could not be more helpful. From the location it is an easy walk to downtown Savannah and the old homes and parks.

Room Tip: Ask for a large bathroom
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Martinsville, Virginia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Arrived late-staff was very helpful and w/carrying luggage up 2 flights of stairs! Full breakfast that was delicious that you pick the day/night before. Were able to add on something that I forgot to choose. Wish I had more time to enjoy the accomodations and the area.

Room Tip: I stayed in main building which since I wasn't there long was a plus. Make sure you let them kno...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our first trip to Savannah. We are seasoned B & Bérs, and this was the finest B & B we have had the pleasure to stay at. It was clean, comfy, right on the edge of EVERYthing, and the staff were top-shelf. We stayed in the Garden Room, and had our own entrance, our own small pond/garden/sitting area, too. Parking on site, which was great - we parked and never moved the car the entire trip. The staff were so attentive to our EVERY need, and even went beyond, with the unexpected extras that they did for us. The breakfast was outstanding - cooked to order, in front of us, every morning. The Chef was great, the banter back and forth between us, the other guests, and the Chef and wait-staff was so much fun! We would definitely recommend The Gastonian, and we would stay there again, if we travel back to Savannah. Thanks, Gastonian staff, for a great vacation!

Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in the Mary Telfair room and it was lovely. Very pretty and comfortable. Service in the hotel is the best I've ever experienced as well as the food. I highly recommend The Gastonian.

Room Tip: If looking for a large room with two beds, the Mary Telfair room is wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I had never been to Savannah. We decided to stay away from the sterile hotel type rooms since we both travel for work at times and wanted a different experience. First is the price. I have to say that this was a great deal compared to others in the area. I even found the rates advertised on another trip site that was cheaper for the same room there and they honored it. I used tripadvisor for basic information on everything I wanted to do in Savannah and felt that every B & B had about the same postitives and negatives. Can't please everyone. All of my concerns were lifted once I walked in. The house was beautiful. The staff very friendly and ready to assist you if needed.

Now there are two homes to the Gastonian with a small fountain between the two. The main house is where all of the action takes place so if you are not a people person then stay in the other house. Less traffic. We stayed in the Garden room which just happens to be in the second house. It is the most private room there with its own small courtyard and gate. Even has a small fish pond. The second room we stayed in, I extended one more night, has its own balcony with a table and chairs. It is the only room with that. It too is in the second house. Great rooms, nice and comfortable. Breakfast was great and the cooks will make any adjustments they can make for you if they have the means. My girlfriend is vegitarian so they made sure at breakfast and during the afternoon wine they had something for her.

For those who are negative about things all I can say is this, it's an old house, they all are in the historic district for the most part. Floors may creak and the beds may squeak. It's not the Ritz and if you stay there as long as we did you might even hear the street sweepers and garbage trucks very early in the morning. What it is not is that typical cookie cutter hotel room you can stay at anywhere in any city and country. Nor does it feel that way. The front desk is actually under the stairwell in the main hallway. They are a small staff and I know this may come as a shock to some of you but if you go there you will more than likely not be the only ones there. So relax and be patient if no one is around right away. They may be helping someone else. I never had an issue finding someone.

It's a place where everyone we met seemed to prefer eating in the kitchen instead of the dining table. Sitting in the parlor having wine or other cordials was wonderful. I love to meet new people and was able to meet new ones every day. Karen and the rest of the staff made us feel very welcomed and I am looking forward to going back soon.

Room Tip: Call them and inquire about the rooms as they all are a little different. Some have claw tubs with...
Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is the first B & B that we have ever stayed in. From the first moment we got here we felt very relaxed. The bed was wonderful and the suite was great.
The employees made us feel welcome and we liked the fact that there was someone at the desk at all times. We enjoyed eating breakfast in the kitchen, if we were not talking with other quests we were speaking with the chefs and we liked it. Each day we chose a different breakfast and each one was delicious! The smell of the bacon was the only thing that got me out of bed in the morning.
Thank you Gastonian for my most relaxed vacation ever.

Room Tip: The only thing I would have changed about our stay is I would have gotten a room on the top floor.