“Loved the Ballastone Inn”
Review of Ballastone Inn

Ballastone Inn
Ranked #11 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Perrysburg, Ohio
“Loved the Ballastone Inn”
Reviewed October 5, 2004

We enjoyed our recent stay at the Ballastone Inn. The staff was friendly and eager to please without being intrusive. The breakfast, tea, and appetizers were delicious. Someone must have a green thumb because the entrance and side garden were wonderfully full of plants and inside the house were orchids and live plants throughout. I agree with the reviewer who said the bed was the best ever in an accommodation. Problems were dealt with promptly and courteously; in fact, we were upgraded to a suite because of a mix up in a reservation. Beautiful rooms and immaculate throughout.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2004

Negative reviews about this hotel cannot be trusted. THIS PLACE IS FANTASTIC. Do NOT let one persons bad experience sway you away from this hotel! My husband and I just returned from a trip to the Ballastone for our anniversary and were treated like royalty. My husband and I are Ritz Carlton regulars and this inn had alot to live up to. It is wonderful! All of the staff members were extra friendly and would do anything for you. I personally saw the owner greet just about everyone and he arranged for us to have our fireplace turned on in our room. (Too early for the gas to be turned on but he made arrangements for us). The room was immaculate with all towels being replaced, fresh sheets and wonderful turndown service every night. Free port and brandy are offered at night as mentioned on the website. You would expect to pay for liquor or wine. The evening appetizers were FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must say the breakfast was awesome too. The inn is right in the heart of the historic district and you can walk to just about everything. Do not hesitate to pay a little extra to stay here. If you want to feel pampered during your vacation, this IS the place to stay!

1 Thank CeCeTampa
Reviewed October 2, 2004

We were very excited to visit the Ballastone, with everything we read on tripadvisor and on their website. It was nice, but yet we were disappointed.

First, the positives: the rooms were beautiful and clean. The entire inn was very nice. The food was good. There were two very nice staff members (Nicole and Melissa) that helped us a lot with suggestions for dinner, etc.

Now the negatives: 1) the website indicates that there are appetizers and drinks from 6-7. It does not mention that you have to pay for the drinks. I thought that was sort of tacky, especially considering how much you are already paying.
2) The owner (man) was there, and never once introduced himself or asked us if we were having a nice time. Basically, he ignored us. 3) We opted for the in-room breakfast once and we were basically called to see if we were done with our tray and then someone knocked at our door, asking for the tray back (within 30 minutes). And then another 30 minutes later, we got another call, asking for the tray back. It made me wonder if there was some sort of tray shortage! It was extremely disruptive. 4) Housekeeping was substandard. One of our bathrobes became dirty, and we put it with the dirty towels and it was never replaced in the 4 days were were there. Housekeeping did the basics: made the bed and gave us fresh towels. They did not empty trash or take away coffee cups, etc.

Anyway, it was a pretty place. I wouldn't say it was the "most romantic" as other reviewers said. It was very average for $300 per night. I would definitely not return.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SeeSavannah, Guest Relations Manager at Ballastone Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Regarding your 2004 stay: The current owner and management of the Ballastone Inn sincerely apologize that you had a displeasing stay during your visit in 2004.

First, thank you kindly for the nice comments on the decor and cleanliness of the inn, the food and staff. Nevertheless, we wholeheartedly regret that you had an unpleasant stay and that a less than positive memory is now associated with the inn.

We have updated out website to state that boutique wines and beer are charged to rooms. We are the only inn in Savannah to serve premium wine. We do have many other complimentary offerings, such as Victorian High Tea, Early Evening Hor's douerves, Cordials, Fruit Essence Water, Fresh Iced Tea, Breakfast and much more.

Let us assure you that the service you find at the Ballastone Inn today would exceed your expectations. We welcome the opportunity to serve you in the future.

The Ballastone Inn
Reviewed August 23, 2004

My Husband & I recently traveled to Savannah to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, and staying at the Ballastone made it all the more special! The accomodations were spectacular - we stayed in the Sorgum Cane room; very spacious & the bed was the best I have ever slept in on vacation! Staff was very attentive to all our needs -from letting me use their computer to print out our airline check-in tickets so I didn't have to wait in line at airport, to making all our dinner reservations for us - their suggestions were superb! I would highly recommend the Old Pink House restaurant be first on your list.
We have wonderful memories of our few days spent at the Ballastone - from the scrumptious full breakfast to start the day, to the afternoon lemonade - delicious! - to the brandy at turn-down service, they truly deserve a 5-star rating.
We definitely have on our list to return to the Ballastone in future visits to Savannah.

Reviewed July 12, 2004

We knew the Ballastone would be nice, but the Inn turned out to be even more than we expected. The staff was wonderful, spending as much time as needed to help us arrange our dinners and tours. Their dinner suggestions were right on. The Inn itself is wonderful, located within walking distance of most everything you want to see. We stayed in the "Peach" Room and were very happy with the accomodations. The breakfasts were first rate, as was the afternoon tea. We will defintely be back.

Jonesboro, Georgia
Reviewed July 12, 2004

This was a get away gift from my wife and our first visit to Savannah and I can't think of a better way to get initiated to the city. The service, food, rooms and atmosphere were superb. I highly recommend the China Trade room; excellent. We will definitely be back.

Croton-on-Hudson, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2004

The service was extraordinary at the Ballastone Inn. They anticipated your every need. The breakfasts were superb! Indeed the best I have ever had anywhere. The staff was incredibly helpful. I stayed at the Sorgum Cane. I must say, the bed was so comfortable, I haven't slept like that in years. I coming back.

• Stayed July 2004