“Central location, nice amenities and well kept”
Review of Ballastone Inn

Ballastone Inn
Ranked #11 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Seattle
“Central location, nice amenities and well kept”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Ballastone in the Mulberry Tulips room. This is a top-level, corner room and resembles the website pictures quite accurately. The upside was the room was well lit and and it was quite big. The downside is the bus stop is right outside the windows. (The bus stop does include a stop for the Savannah "jump on/jump off" city tour, however, which is very convenient.) Would recommend the room next door if you're not used to city noise and like to sleep in. The bedding and towels are very soft. The food was okay -- def for free breakfast it wasn't bad. As others have noted, the inn seemed a wee understaffed esp since it appeared the house was full of guests. One fun thing -- during the day, they leave unoccupied rooms open so you can check them out.

1 Thank Michelle B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Just returned from our 1st visit to Savannah, GA and an amazing stay at the Ballastone Inn! We were introduced to the Ballastone Inn after receiving a Living Social deal several months ago & after doing some research on this property, the reviews were phenomenal, so we booked the 2-night stay. From the minute we walked through the front door, we were captivated by the charm surrounding us. Our room was immediately available for check-in & when the door was opened to the Victoria Suite, I couldn't believe my eyes! The first thing that caught my eye was the high-rise plush bed ~ I knew I'd get the most restful night's sleep ever! I was enthralled with the decor & antique furniture, so tastefully decorating this room. The floor-to-ceiling lead glass topped windows overlooked the enchanting courtyard on one side & the back parking lot on the other side of the room. The bathroom was quite pleasing, from the plush towels, ultra plush robes & relaxing jacuzzi tub....we couldn't ask for more! Now let's get to the other good, good stuff about this place! Daily, at 4 o'clock, guests can partake in tea time. It's self-serve, and oh so charming! We enjoyed tea in the front parlor, with delectable goodies (scones, Devonshire cream, strawberry jam, coconut macaroons, egg & bacon finger sandwiches to name a few!)....plenty of options on the main level of where to sit & enjoy your tea & goodies, with pleasant music piped in for our enjoyment. This also gave us the opportunity to take in the beauty of each room on the main level~superbly decorated with fine attention to detail! After tea time, we would walk the historic downtown area of Savannah~I could go on & on about how beautiful & charming Savannah is, but those who have been there already know~and if you haven't been there, check it out! In the early evening time, we'd head back to the Ballastone, looking forward to hors' dourves & cocktail hour...you could again choose to stay in the bar area, which was just beautiful, any of the other main gathering rooms, or sit in the courtyard area, which was beautifully lit for the evening time. We enjoyed our 1st tastings of Port & Sherry during these evening cocktail gatherings, although you could have wine if desired (beer may have been an option too). This really was just a great way to start off the evening. The Ballastone Inn doesn't offer dinner service, which was totally fine, because it gave us the opportunity to explore the many eateries in the area ~ all within walking distance, of course!
Part of your stay at the Ballastone includes nightly turn-down service, with fine chocolates on the bedside tables...our package also included a bottle of wine (our choice of red or white) ~ just another added nice touch that is greatly appreciated! The bed didn't disappoint, as I knew it wouldn't!! I'm all about a comfy bed & this one I wish I could transplant back to my own bedroom! You needed a two-step riser to get into the bed & oh my, the linens were so luxurious!!! The pillows were perfect, & the mattress was AMAZING!! This suite was totally regal in nature (aptly named the Victoria Suite) & we truly felt like royalty for those 2 nights! The morning time was equally as fabulous! Guests are given a door card in the evening to fill out for breakfast goodies. This is hung on the outside of your door before retiring for the evening ~ guests choose what they want for breakfast, what time they want to be served, and where they'll sit to eat their breakfast. The Ballastone chef offers a daily "chef's choice" option or you could eat lighter with tasty granola or yogurt selections on the bar. We of course chose the "chef's choice" and had 2 fabulous breakfasts, which included a starter of fresh fruit cups, juice, tea, & coffee. My favorite was the belgian waffles with pecan-filled syrup. Breakfast was probably my favorite time there, and that says a lot, since I'm generally not a breakfast eater.
I was sad to see our 2 day visit come to an end ~ staying at the Ballastone Inn truly exceeded our expectations! We did have the opportunity to meet the owner, Jennifer, & enjoyed a pleasant conversation with her. Jennifer really has a great staff working with her & that does make a difference! Everyone was pleasant, kind & helpful (Thanks to Christy (fellow Ohioan) working the check-in for all of her suggestions & help during our stay!). It's no wonder the Ballastone Inn has received the rave reviews that it has...I give it a two thumbs up & encourage anyone looking for a clean, enchanting & enjoyable place to stay while in historic Savannah, check into the Ballastone! You won't be disappointed~the location is perfect, as well! There are 16 rooms to choose from, all with a different theme...one thing to note is parking...there are 7 spots in the rear of the Ballastone...we were lucky to get a parking space, where we left the car for the entire stay (since we walked everywhere once there), but you can get a voucher to park somewhere close for I believe $12/day). Can't wait to make another trip back to Savannah~The Ballastone will be our choice for accommodations!!!

1 Thank rick a
Litchfield Park, Arizona
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed the Ballastone Inn. There is no better location in the historic district. We were a 5-10 minute walk from everything. The Gazebo room, where we stayed, was roomy and nicely appointed. The breakfasts were varied and delicious and the staff was wonderful. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank docdpd
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Located within walking distance of everything. My wife and I enjoyed some very fine dining and yet we also enjoyed the simplicity of some quiet time sharing a lunch in beautiful Wright square just around the corner from the Inn.
The inn is just beautiful inside with a shady courtyard on the side. Our room had windows facing the courtyard and we sat out there many times during our stay. The breakfast was wonderful and we just went with the Chef's choice on our last 2 mornings and were not disappointed.
The staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs. We hope to return again some day.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank JlovesM
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been coming back since our wedding night 11 years ago. It is such a wonderful place... Easy to walk to several restaurants downtown. We highly recommend staying here, look forward to coming back next year!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Wmo77
Strongsville, Ohio
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My daughter and I go on a trip every year. This was our second time at Ballastone!! Love the beautiful inn, southern hospitality and great service!! Ballastone is centrally located in the historical district and made it very easy and pleasant to walk wherever we needed to be!! I highly recommend it to experience the true life of Savannah!!
Ruth Ann

Room Tip: All unique and clean!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ruth V
Grundy
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary last week. We stayed at the Inn for 3 nights. The Inn exceeded our expectations it was beautiful and the service was outstanding. This is an adult only facility which was great. Jennifer the owner gave us great advise on where to eat and what to do. The food each morning was outstanding. The staff was very helpful and kind. We look forward to staying there again. The location was perfect just a few blocks from the River walk.

The Elkins Grundy,VA

Room Tip: All the rooms are great we stayed in the Mary Mustrove room on the 4th floor. The rooms have names...
1 Thank Rebecca E