“The Class of '60 goes to Savannah”
Review of Ballastone Inn

Ballastone Inn
Ranked #13 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta, Georgia
“The Class of '60 goes to Savannah”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

A group of us went on a "senior road trip" to Savannah last weekend to spend a day touring Ossabaw Island, a barrier island with a long and colorful history that is now a nature preserve. Most of us stayed at the Ballastone Inn and found it to be a very charming and well-run establishment. Each of the 16 guest rooms has its own name, such as "Peach" or "Scarlett's Retreat", rather than a number, which added to the charm and distinctiveness of the place. Our breakfast was simple but exceptionsl and the afternoon tea and open bar were welcomed amenities. The well-trained and outgoing staff members made the environment very friendly and welcoming. The owner, Jennifer, runs a first-class operation in every respect, which one would expect from a proprietor whose middle name must be "Hospitality"! My wife and I had a wonderful experience, and everybody in our group looks forward to returning to the Ballastone.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Haddam, Connecticut
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We decided to spend a couple days in Savannah and on a whim, took a chance on staying at a smaller location in the historic section. I could NOT have been more pleased with the beautifully decorated rooms, the wonderful people, refreshments and amazing breakfast. The Ballastone has a rich past and, today, makes you feel extra special. Perfectly located between the river and Savannah's beautiful historic district, it's a winner on all counts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at several BnB's in Savannah and this is our favorite. The location is great and the aesthetics are amazing. We also like the Gastonian but its too far away from the Riverfront. The Ballastone is -- in our humble opinion -- superior to the Foley House just around the corner. After staying at the Foley House last Labor Day weekend we decided to find a different place this year. The Ballastone has better common areas and the 4:00pm tea setup is extremely classy and not to be missed. The food is amazing and the staff was on top of everything our entire stay. I highly recommended this place for two main reasons: the aesthetics and location. The Ballastone is located close to many exciting things and is generally "on the way" as you walk back and forth in the historic district; it is very easy to just "pop in" to your room while passing by. The Gastonian is also great aesthetically, but -- again -- the location really hurts it: there's no "popping in" to the Gastonian. Once you've left for the day (or night) you won't be back unless you forgot something. We highly recommend the Savannah and the Ballastone; we hope you give it a try.

Room Tip: There is great value in the rooms on the lower level, but -- just keep in mind -- the kitchen is dow...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew A
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Ballastone Inn recently while I was in Savannah on business, and I was simply blown away. From the moment I walked through the door, I was made to feel as if I were at home. The staff is incredibly kind and helpful as well as very knowledgeable of the area. They were instrumental in making my stay there comfortable, relaxing, and enjoyable. I really loved all the little touches from afternoon tea, after dinner sherry or port, and the chocolates on my pillow each evening. Breakfast each morning is absolutely delicious and the perfect way to start the day. I would highly recommend the Ballastone Inn to anyone. I'm just hoping I can return soon with my husband for a weekend get-away! Thank you Red Letter TV for booking my accommodations...there was no place I would have rather stayed. Thank you Ballastone Inn for the outstanding customer service...I never stopped smiling!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, SC
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The appetizers and hor'dourves in the evening were 10 star! In fact, we skipped dinner! Plus the breakfast was incredible, beyond gourmet. Add the extremely professional staff, beautiful building and old world decor resulted in an unforgettable experience. We will definitely be back!

Our most sincere congratulations to Jennifer Salandi for doing such a marvelous job!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dave S
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I can't recommend this place enough. All the staff were so friendly and helpful and the place so comfortable and well located for everything. Breakfast is great, there is always sweet tea available. The afternoon tea and cake is wonderful, and it's great to meet other guests in the bar before heading out for dinner in the evening. There's just nowhere better. I miss it already.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Tea Olive room on the ground floor. It was perfect.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at the Ballestone Inn at the end of July. She had seen the inn on a previous trip to Savannah and was excited when she learned this was where we were staying for a few days away. The staff are as nice and attentive as any place we have ever stayed. The rooms were beautiful and the food was superb. The only negative about the whole trip was the hot, humid Savannah weather. We were not able to sit long in the garden terrace as we had wished. Oh, well, it just gives us a good excuse to return when the weather is cooler.

Room Tip: Rooms are best on the back side of the building, away from the noise of the street. The suites are g...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple