“Truly Living in the Past”
Review of Ballastone Inn

Ballastone Inn
Ranked #9 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
San Francisco, California
“Truly Living in the Past”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

In researching for our first trip to Savannah, I read the reviews and I could not decide easily on a hotel. In the end the hotel's website won me over. While not as good as depicted on the web, what leads us to rate the hotel as less than the top is primarily NOISE. Not noise in the hotel, but from the street. I booked a larger more expensive room which happened to face VERY busy Ogelthorpe Ave., one of the city's main streets. Even with ear plugs and sleep aids, neither my wife or I got a good night's sleep on our two night stay. I thought the buses were coming right through the room. Be careful on room selection.
Now the hotel, or rather B&B. That is important. A real B&B and all that goes with that. Do not expect hotel service. Very little staff on hand, maybe two and they are busy. Expect SlowVannah in action. So gear down and relax. Enjoy friendly service from college kids working their way through school in a wonderfully appointed period B&B. The owner was never in sight, which tends to be the case in most B&B situations. Part of the "charm" of a B&B is having the owner/operator involved. What Paul Dean did for Southern food, Ballastone did for B&B's in Savannah.They both created a market. The difference is Paula invested and went full tourist mode and Ballastone stood still. Much of standing still is good, but other hotels and B&B's have come on and while there we looked at those and feel they have put themselves ahead. Despite the noise, the location is terrific. You can walk to most sights, and the river attractions. Rare on site parking, no valet though. Food is plentiful, but average at best. The place grows on you after a while, but for the price you would expect more and you can get it at other hotels. Bathrooms are small and in need of redoing.

Room Tip: I am not sure there is a quite room, but get away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Traveler234280

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon. Everything was wonderful... The staff were friendly, helpful, sweet and accommodating. The breakfast was top-notch. We enjoyed afternoon tea all week and nightly sherry and chocolates on our pillows all week.

We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
Okeechobee, Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Our entire experience with the Ballastone Inn was 5 star! The historic inn boasts helpful and courteous staff, wonderful accommodations all in a convenient location inside the historic district of Savannah. We will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gazebo Suite and absolutely loved it!
North Royalton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned from our 1st visit to Savannah, GA and an amazing stay at the Ballastone Inn! We were introduced to the Ballastone Inn after receiving a Living Social deal several months ago & after doing some research on this property, the reviews were phenomenal, so we booked the 2-night stay. From the minute we walked through the front door, we were captivated by the charm surrounding us. Our room was immediately available for check-in & when the door was opened to the Victoria Suite, I couldn't believe my eyes! The first thing that caught my eye was the high-rise plush bed ~ I knew I'd get the most restful night's sleep ever! I was enthralled with the decor & antique furniture, so tastefully decorating this room. The floor-to-ceiling lead glass topped windows overlooked the enchanting courtyard on one side & the back parking lot on the other side of the room. The bathroom was quite pleasing, from the plush towels, ultra plush robes & relaxing jacuzzi tub....we couldn't ask for more! Now let's get to the other good, good stuff about this place! Daily, at 4 o'clock, guests can partake in tea time. It's self-serve, and oh so charming! We enjoyed tea in the front parlor, with delectable goodies (scones, Devonshire cream, strawberry jam, coconut macaroons, egg & bacon finger sandwiches to name a few!)....plenty of options on the main level of where to sit & enjoy your tea & goodies, with pleasant music piped in for our enjoyment. This also gave us the opportunity to take in the beauty of each room on the main level~superbly decorated with fine attention to detail! After tea time, we would walk the historic downtown area of Savannah~I could go on & on about how beautiful & charming Savannah is, but those who have been there already know~and if you haven't been there, check it out! In the early evening time, we'd head back to the Ballastone, looking forward to hors' dourves & cocktail hour...you could again choose to stay in the bar area, which was just beautiful, any of the other main gathering rooms, or sit in the courtyard area, which was beautifully lit for the evening time. We enjoyed our 1st tastings of Port & Sherry during these evening cocktail gatherings, although you could have wine if desired (beer may have been an option too). This really was just a great way to start off the evening. The Ballastone Inn doesn't offer dinner service, which was totally fine, because it gave us the opportunity to explore the many eateries in the area ~ all within walking distance, of course!
Part of your stay at the Ballastone includes nightly turn-down service, with fine chocolates on the bedside tables...our package also included a bottle of wine (our choice of red or white) ~ just another added nice touch that is greatly appreciated! The bed didn't disappoint, as I knew it wouldn't!! I'm all about a comfy bed & this one I wish I could transplant back to my own bedroom! You needed a two-step riser to get into the bed & oh my, the linens were so luxurious!!! The pillows were perfect, & the mattress was AMAZING!! This suite was totally regal in nature (aptly named the Victoria Suite) & we truly felt like royalty for those 2 nights! The morning time was equally as fabulous! Guests are given a door card in the evening to fill out for breakfast goodies. This is hung on the outside of your door before retiring for the evening ~ guests choose what they want for breakfast, what time they want to be served, and where they'll sit to eat their breakfast. The Ballastone chef offers a daily "chef's choice" option or you could eat lighter with tasty granola or yogurt selections on the bar. We of course chose the "chef's choice" and had 2 fabulous breakfasts, which included a starter of fresh fruit cups, juice, tea, & coffee. My favorite was the belgian waffles with pecan-filled syrup. Breakfast was probably my favorite time there, and that says a lot, since I'm generally not a breakfast eater.
I was sad to see our 2 day visit come to an end ~ staying at the Ballastone Inn truly exceeded our expectations! We did have the opportunity to meet the owner, Jennifer, & enjoyed a pleasant conversation with her. Jennifer really has a great staff working with her & that does make a difference! Everyone was pleasant, kind & helpful (Thanks to Christy (fellow Ohioan) working the check-in for all of her suggestions & help during our stay!). It's no wonder the Ballastone Inn has received the rave reviews that it has...I give it a two thumbs up & encourage anyone looking for a clean, enchanting & enjoyable place to stay while in historic Savannah, check into the Ballastone! You won't be disappointed~the location is perfect, as well! There are 16 rooms to choose from, all with a different theme...one thing to note is parking...there are 7 spots in the rear of the Ballastone...we were lucky to get a parking space, where we left the car for the entire stay (since we walked everywhere once there), but you can get a voucher to park somewhere close for I believe $12/day). Can't wait to make another trip back to Savannah~The Ballastone will be our choice for accommodations!!!

Room Tip: Victoria Room was our Choice !! Absolutely Gorgeous and Loved Everything about Our Room !!
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed March 18, 2013

From the moment we made our reservation to the time we left Savannah we were indulged in the luxury of the finest staff, room accommodations, and service. When making the reservation I was told that anything the staff could do to enhance our time in Savannah they would try to do for us; including recommending restaurants and making reservations. When we got to "The Ballastone" our room was upgraded, and even though the room we would have gotten was very nice, we were thrilled with the upgrade room. Our first steps out the door were put on the right path by your day manager, who told us how to use the trolley right outside the B&B to our best advantage. The breakfasts were special; the late afternoon and evening treats were something to look forward to at the end of our whirlwind touring of Savannah each day. Your location is in the middle of everything so it was easy to walk to most places we wanted to see. We were sad to leave "The Ballastone" and look forward to our next stay with you!
The Greenberger's

Room Tip: All the rooms are good; each is different. This B&B had an elevator, so it was easy to move our...
Decatur, Alabama
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Ballastone Inn is the most remarkable inn that I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. The people of the inn are just truly delightful and helpful. The inn is so beautiful and truly a gem in Savannah. I can’t until the next trip to enjoy such gracious hosts. Everything was wonderful to include the high tea, 6 o’clock social time and the wonderful breakfast each morning. I would highly recommend this Inn to anyone. We stayed in the Victoria suite and I just feel in love with it! There is limited parking in the back however, you can get 24 hour parking passes (they cost), for the street parking. On the weekends the street parking is free.

Room Tip: The Victoria room is my favorite, however all of the rooms are beautiful.
Tallahassee
Reviewed March 14, 2013

As advertised in every way, great building and grounds, even better staff (Melissa is a top shelf general manager), well appointed rooms,good food and drink, great location as a home-base. Plenty of attention to your needs without intruding into your vacation experience. We will be back.

Room Tip: Tea Olive Room... Best part, no stairs.