“A wonderful place to stay in Savannah!!!!!”
Review of Ballastone Inn

Ballastone Inn
Ranked #15 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Ballastone was the perfect place for our first visit to Savannah. The staff could not have been nicer, or more accommodating, or more professional. The inn is absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the Oglethorpe room and it too was lovely. The breakfasts were GREAT!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ballastone Inn

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We visited with another couple and I know that everyone of us enjoyed our stay at The Ballastone Inn.
We were especially impressed by the warm and hospitable folks who work there. They were kind and gracious and accommodating. Melissa and Christine were especially lovely. The locaton of the Inn is perfect, tremendous "within walking distance" access to the historic district and many great restaurants, shops and attractions. This was our first time staying overnight in Savannah and we still have a lot of options to explore, but we would not hesitate to stay at The Ballastone Inn again.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and because there is an elevator, the higher floors are an option for ever...
1  Thank Mary D
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The staff is so friendly, they make you feel right at home. We truly enjoyed the afternoon tea and their delicious breakfasts. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to visit Savannah. Within walking distance of all kinds of fun things! We stayed in the Gazebo room which is one of the largest suites. It is well worth the money for a top room floor.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Anyone heading to Savannah HAS to stay at the Ballastone Inn.
What an incredible experience! All the staff were amazing and the cook's no slouch either.
Had the most delicious breakfasts every morning and the rooms were top-notch.
The entire inn is so beautifully decorated with that old-style colonial feel.
I normally don't do Bed and Breakfast places, but after staying at the Ballastone, I'm sold.
I really enjoyed my stay and I wish I could return NOW!
Kudos to all at the Ballastone Inn.

Room Tip: Stay on the lower floor, which is right next to the courtyard or the upper levels, floors 3 and 4...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent two nights at the Ballastone Inn for a birthday getaway. It was more than we expected. Definately not a typical B&B. The staff that is very courteous, friendly and welcoming. The Inn was much cleaner than I expected for a typical B&B and far exceeds most hotels. Common areas were well appointed, comfortable and clean. We stayed in the Gazebo room which was very spacious and comfortable. The room was very clean, you didn't find any of the corner build up typical in a lot of B&B and hotel bathrooms. A historic building so it has some creaks and growns that you would expect from a building of a prior era. They offer a high tea at 4:00pm in the afternoon as well as light hors d'oeuvers at 6:00pm. The hors d'oeuvers were light, so you didn't feel stuff heading out to dinner. At 7:00pm Sherry, Port and chocolate dusted almonds were available on the bar, self serve, until 11:00pm. The Inn's location is great. All attractions on the north end of the historic distance are in very eash walking distance with 5 to 10 minutes. Heading south you can get to Jones Street within a few blocks and enjoy walking past all the historic buildings. The staff can provide recommendations for tours and restaurants. A special treat is the private garden that is not only beautiful, but also very relaxing. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will return again!

Room Tip: Gazebo room is toward the back, less road noise, no adjoining room walls. Rooms on the front top fl...
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Ballastone Inn exceeded our expectations! Wonderful staff and food. Breakfast was our favorite meal although high tea was great also! If we ever get the opportunity to come back to Savannah we will be staying at the Ballastone Inn again!! The Inn is lovely and the staff very helpful!!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just returned from our 1st visit to Savannah, GA and an amazing stay at the Ballastone Inn! We were introduced to the Ballastone Inn after receiving a Living Social deal several months ago & after doing some research on this property, the reviews were phenomenal, so we booked the 2-night stay. From the minute we walked through the front door, we were captivated by the charm surrounding us. Our room was immediately available for check-in & when the door was opened to the Victoria Suite, I couldn't believe my eyes! The first thing that caught my eye was the high-rise plush bed ~ I knew I'd get the most restful night's sleep ever! I was enthralled with the decor & antique furniture, so tastefully decorating this room. The floor-to-ceiling lead glass topped windows overlooked the enchanting courtyard on one side & the back parking lot on the other side of the room. The bathroom was quite pleasing, from the plush towels, ultra plush robes & relaxing jacuzzi tub....we couldn't ask for more! Now let's get to the other good, good stuff about this place! Daily, at 4 o'clock, guests can partake in tea time. It's self-serve, and oh so charming! We enjoyed tea in the front parlor, with delectable goodies (scones, Devonshire cream, strawberry jam, coconut macaroons, egg & bacon finger sandwiches to name a few!)....plenty of options on the main level of where to sit & enjoy your tea & goodies, with pleasant music piped in for our enjoyment. This also gave us the opportunity to take in the beauty of each room on the main level~superbly decorated with fine attention to detail! After tea time, we would walk the historic downtown area of Savannah~I could go on & on about how beautiful & charming Savannah is, but those who have been there already know~and if you haven't been there, check it out! In the early evening time, we'd head back to the Ballastone, looking forward to hors' dourves & cocktail hour...you could again choose to stay in the bar area, which was just beautiful, any of the other main gathering rooms, or sit in the courtyard area, which was beautifully lit for the evening time. We enjoyed our 1st tastings of Port & Sherry during these evening cocktail gatherings, although you could have wine if desired (beer may have been an option too). This really was just a great way to start off the evening. The Ballastone Inn doesn't offer dinner service, which was totally fine, because it gave us the opportunity to explore the many eateries in the area ~ all within walking distance, of course!
Part of your stay at the Ballastone includes nightly turn-down service, with fine chocolates on the bedside tables...our package also included a bottle of wine (our choice of red or white) ~ just another added nice touch that is greatly appreciated! The bed didn't disappoint, as I knew it wouldn't!! I'm all about a comfy bed & this one I wish I could transplant back to my own bedroom! You needed a two-step riser to get into the bed & oh my, the linens were so luxurious!!! The pillows were perfect, & the mattress was AMAZING!! This suite was totally regal in nature (aptly named the Victoria Suite) & we truly felt like royalty for those 2 nights! The morning time was equally as fabulous! Guests are given a door card in the evening to fill out for breakfast goodies. This is hung on the outside of your door before retiring for the evening ~ guests choose what they want for breakfast, what time they want to be served, and where they'll sit to eat their breakfast. The Ballastone chef offers a daily "chef's choice" option or you could eat lighter with tasty granola or yogurt selections on the bar. We of course chose the "chef's choice" and had 2 fabulous breakfasts, which included a starter of fresh fruit cups, juice, tea, & coffee. My favorite was the belgian waffles with pecan-filled syrup. Breakfast was probably my favorite time there, and that says a lot, since I'm generally not a breakfast eater.
I was sad to see our 2 day visit come to an end ~ staying at the Ballastone Inn truly exceeded our expectations! We did have the opportunity to meet the owner, Jennifer, & enjoyed a pleasant conversation with her. Jennifer really has a great staff working with her & that does make a difference! Everyone was pleasant, kind & helpful (Thanks to Christy (fellow Ohioan) working the check-in for all of her suggestions & help during our stay!). It's no wonder the Ballastone Inn has received the rave reviews that it has...I give it a two thumbs up & encourage anyone looking for a clean, enchanting & enjoyable place to stay while in historic Savannah, check into the Ballastone! You won't be disappointed~the location is perfect, as well! There are 16 rooms to choose from, all with a different theme...one thing to note is parking...there are 7 spots in the rear of the Ballastone...we were lucky to get a parking space, where we left the car for the entire stay (since we walked everywhere once there), but you can get a voucher to park somewhere close for I believe $12/day). Can't wait to make another trip back to Savannah~The Ballastone will be our choice for accommodations!!!

Room Tip: We chose the Victoria Suite ~ beautiful views into the courtyard area!! This is on the main level n...