“Mausoleum with good food”
Review of Planters Tavern

Planters Tavern
Ranked #75 of 895 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were seated in 15 min without a reservation on Sunday night, nice! Music was good, and it seemed pretty lively by the piano, but it was like a funeral home at the bar, lots of scowls. Once we were seated, service was friendly, but a little slow for the small number of people in the restaurant. I thought the prices were fair for what was being served on the menu, but I wasn't blown away by my meal, even though I didn't have any specific complaints. Skip dessert, or at least the pecan pie (it's $6, and unremarkable). Almost too expensive for what it was - I've had cheaper meals I've enjoyed much more. Borderline tourist trap, I'm afraid. Definitely not a "pub".

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Our tour guide recommended this spot as did our trusty Trip Advisor GLAD we went. Piano man was fun & talented, waitress was a bit dry but the cozy atmosphere was just our speed. I opted for the crab cake app. as my meal while my husband had the shrimp & scallops over pasta. Both meals were delicious. A bit pricy but this was our one "nice" dinner out while in Savannah.

1  Thank MoJoJane
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was the first place I went to in Savannah for a meal, and I throughly enjoyed it. I was greeted by heartbreakingly friendly staff who were happy to show me down to the tavern. Yes, it's dark and rather cosy (some would call it "crowded" or "cramped"), but I felt very comfortable and at home here. Lovely solid wood tables and chairs, wooden beams and exposed brick made this place really charming. I was there by myself, sat at the bar and was immediately attended to by the bar staff. The wine list is outstanding, and the menu is very extensive, and on the pricey side. The food is carefully prepared with a great deal of attention to detail and was full of flavour. The live piano music was a lovely addition to the atmosphere. I actually took a group back there later in the week, but was told that it would be a half-hour wait for a table. I was willing to wait, but the rest of my group didn't want to, so we had to go, and the wait staff were very apologetic and wanted us to come back another evening. I really liked this place, but one has to enjoy such an atmosphere in order to appreciate its charm.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Visited this establishment as you do not need a reservation and it serves the same food as the main restaurant above. First impressions were positive with good live music from a piano and bass duo and a busy service in progress. We sat at the bar and ordered Chicken Pot Pie and Spring Rolls which were both excellent. My only negative comment would concern the level of lighting which made reading the menu impossible. Good job they have candles on the bar!

Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

This tavern is located under the Pink House. I called ahead and and was told that they have the same menu as the Pink House and that they so not accept reservations. Our party of five arrived at 7:30 to be greeted by a not so friendly/pleasant hostess who informed us that they can't seat more than parties of 4 people. Hmmm! We decided to sit/stand near the bar and after waiting about 10 mins we decided that this cramped little dark bar wasn't the place for us. Needless to say if you have a party of more than four, don't bother.

3  Thank JAGGM78