“Worth a visit once per trip”

River Street Savannah
Ranked #11 of 218 things to do in Savannah
Virginia Beach, Virginia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Worth a visit once per trip”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Although the shopping is only fair (LOTS of shops with cheap tourist garbage) it's definately worth a visit at least once per trip to Savannah. Street parking is only $1.00 per hour until 5pm (then free) outside the upper level entrances to the shops. We arrived at 4pm, paid our one dollar and then stayed for free the rest of the evening. There are several steep staircases down to the river walk and then very uneven cobblestones to navigate but there is a smooth sidewalk along most of the river side. At one end is the waving girl and her dog statue which was a little to find. You have to go past the end of the shops where you'll find a park like setting surrounding the statue. We enjoyed sitting here to watch the huge commercial ships come in and out of the port, plus the river boat ferry and paddle boat replicas. We took a ferry ride which our son loved. The candy shop was impressive but it's the same exact one as on market street. Just outside they sell 32 oz cups of fresh lemonaide for $4 - they use just one lemon so it's very weak (and expensive.) Watching them prepare it was fun but also a turn off because he handled the cup rim, lemons, and money all without washing his hands. Other tips: Cute toy store but inventory was for about six years and younger. Bee Store has a little play area for small children and lots of variety of honey. Delicious test-try station too. (Same Bee Store as in historic area.) Overall I'd return to walk along the river front once per trip to the city for sure. I'd consider a meal with a view of the water too.

2 Thank Twizzler6

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“More than I expected!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

We had planned to visit river street while in Savannah. However, it was much cooler than I thought it would be. Everyone must visit this area, walk from end to end. It's awesome!

Cape Sable Island, Canada
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I always stroll River Street when in Savannah. Beautiful, cobblestones!

Visited October 2011
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Mixed”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Scary people and places intermixed with a few gems. The cobble stone and uneven sidewalks are a challenge for strollers. In most places, there was a steep staircase to negotiate. There was 1 cobblestone ramp towards the middle but again, it was still tough with the stroller. My wife was unimpressed with most of the shops (which worked out good for me, lol). As a first time visitor it's tempting to want to see the river front but having been there, I would only go back if I had to for some specific place or purpose.

1 Thank J T
savannah
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Moon River It Isn't”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Much can be said about River Street Savannah but I'm here to tell you what is not easily discernible from the tourist perspective. First, the river itself is the third busiest port on the eastern seaboard and the traffic is purely commercial. There are no speedboaters or romantic little fishing vessels; it's all container ships, and most are from China. The river itself at this point is brackish: half salt, half fresh, and there's the faint stink of stale at certain times of the year. As for bars, restaurants and shops: nine out of ten are tourist trap-py, the kind of places locals avoid unless we have guests from out of town that make us take them there. Worse, most of the businesses are in the hands of very few people who've snapped up retail space like its a Monopoly board. One restaurateur owns five different restaurants on the strip; one businessman owns three different t-shirt shops, all selling the same crap. So what passes for variety takes on a sameness. If I have to eat lunch on the river I only go to the Cotton Exchange Tavern. If I have to eat dinner, I'll go to Vic's. Under no circumstances whatsoever will I allow friends to enter the Shrimp Factory or Kevin Barry's or the Warehouse. For drinks, opt for the rooftop bar at the Bohemian Hotel.

6 Thank ghostdude