“Perfect for a child's visit.”

Massie Heritage Center
Ranked #45 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: The Massie Heritage Center should be your first stop in Georgia's first city! Massie provides the best orientation for your visit with a 3D model of Savannah's entire Historic District, including three laser-lit narratives of the city's history projected onto the model. Massie's six exhibit rooms inside the historic 1856 Greek Revival school house offers visitors the unique opportunity to learn about Savannah's many architectural styles, the earliest inhabitants of the Georgia coast, the historic preservation movement in the city, and what school was like in the 1800s inside our authentic heritage classroom. We are located on beautiful Calhoun Square, Savannah's only architecturally original square, at the corner of Abercorn and Gordon streets. We look forward to seeing you!
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is a great place to take children. It activities very appropriate for young children (building blocks). I was told at the front desk that lots of field trips come through. As an adult going without children, I did not enjoy.

There are newer reviews for Massie Heritage Center

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was impressed by this historical place that used to be a school. There were a few galleries. The first one had a history of Savannah and Ogelthorp. There was a gallery that focused on architecture, good for the math wizzes and the Native American room. Most impressed by the old classroom with old desks and fixed like a traditional classroom. I imagined how I would have felt doing my job at this time..!

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Really enjoyed this experience.Our docent was extremely knowledgeable and gave a great tour. The building dates back to 1856 when it opened as the first public school in Savannah and still has the original classroom where you sit in reproduced desks of that day.

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

The heritage center was not on my list of things to do while in Savannah, but decided to stop by on a whim. I am happy I did. The guided tour was awkward because no one else showed up. A tour for one.

The exhibit rooms were small but FULL of great examples of Savannah history. The museum does an outstanding job teaching about the Natives of Georgia, the founding of the colony, the spectacular architecture, and of course education for the poor white children of Savannah in the 1800s.

The exhibits are geared to older children which is great because they are engaging and everyone can understand.

I would recommend this tour to anyone visiting Savannah.

2  Thank Najjie
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We really liked the laser show. It was very informative about the design and history of Savannah formation. The museum displays were neat and well laid out. It wasn't overwhelming and the price was great.