“Old schoolhouse”

Massie Heritage Center
Ranked #43 of 220 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: The Massie Heritage Center should be your first stop in Georgia's first city! Massie provides the best orientation for your visit with a 3D model of Savannah's entire Historic District, including three laser-lit narratives of the city's history projected onto the model. Massie's six exhibit rooms inside the historic 1856 Greek Revival school house offers visitors the unique opportunity to learn about Savannah's many architectural styles, the earliest inhabitants of the Georgia coast, the historic preservation movement in the city, and what school was like in the 1800s inside our authentic heritage classroom. We are located on beautiful Calhoun Square, Savannah's only architecturally original square, at the corner of Abercorn and Gordon streets. We look forward to seeing you!
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The guides were very informative. Fun to sit in a one room classroom and get a feel for what it was like.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We got tickets to Massie Heritage Center as part of a package deal through Groupon. It was a nice piece of history. We enjoyed seeing the school house section and what it used to look like in the late 1800s. There was also an informative laser display of Savannah's overall history and design & layout that included the 3 major fires to the city. We found this educational, but not our favorite part of our trip.

1  Thank GypsyJeni
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Massie House is an old schoolhouse that is transformed into a museum of the City of Savannah. I did enjoy it and I found many of the subject matter interesting, but I think it is better to visit the museum with a family, as opposed to two adults without children. The Massie House is best for children and families but it does have some fun and interesting materials. The schoolroom has an opportunity to play dress up in colonial garb, which is fun as you can pose with a “dunce cap”, my personal favorite article of clothing.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is a good way to start your first visit to Savannah. Very interesting and well done. The presentation was good and lots of facts. We were with a group ages from 9 - 80. Everyone enjoyed this stop.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I had a groupon that gave me a trolley tour and a visit into Massie School House. I was expecting more of an overview of education in Savannah and GA instead of an overview of the entire city. You get information of the layout of the city, an average school house room and some other tidbits of the city. No guided tour while I was there however, which would have made this more beneficial. More of 3.5/5, but I rounded up