“Cute place”

Ranked #16 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located 15 minutes southeast of downtown Savannah, this is an environmental education center where you can learn about local wildlife and native plants.There are lots of programs for children.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My hubby and I went here while on vacation. It is only $5 per person. We walked around for about 2 hours. We were unable to see the cougar or the wolves- was probably too hot for them. Overall though we enjoyed our visit.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I had stayed over in Savanna on a road trip from new york to florida and was looking to kill some time with the family during my lay over. As per a reccomendation from a waitress at a waffle house I visited this place with my 7 & 5 old boys. What a pleasent suprise...I am used to getting overcharged in ny for anything involving your children but this place gives you some bang for the $11 bucks for a adult and two kids. Absolutley intrigued my kids for a full three hours and we only left cause it started to rain. Wouldnt travel hours to get here but if within a 30/45 minute ride I would highly recommmend a visit

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Exquisite natural environment for animals. Beauty in the wild available by walking the magnificent acreage. Do as little or as much as you like. Walk along the marsh for breathtaking views. Toddler Tuesdays is a great program to catch.
Special events are equally engaging. Owned by school district and local teachers get in free with ID. Fabulous gift shop w/ great assortment of T-shirt s and souvenirs. Small barnyard accessible for little ones . The wolves are a fave attraction. Might want to have bug spray on hand. It is the coastal South at its finest!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Talk about getting your money's worth....5 of us got in for under $20! Each time we had been to the Savannah area we had seen the sign for this OIWC and we decided to stop in this time - glad we did!

Very nice walking trails to see the animals, although a couple animals were temporarily off site. The weather was very hot and humid when we were there, so I'm sure that's why some of the animals weren't stirring. Of course those things occur at all zoo-type centers. It was exciting to hear the wolves howling while walking an adjoining trail! We also saw beautiful deer drinking very close by. You can feed the turtles at a pond, so the kiddos like that!! There's also a petting farm, but I didn't go - another type of nature was calling! Ones in our party who did go to the petting farm loved it though. A 13 yo friend of my daughter was thrilled to pet a cow - she said it made the trip for her!!

You'll see many old metal buildings scattered throughout the trails and around the grounds. It was interesting to discover that this used to be the site of the CDC. The main building houses the information center, restrooms, and gift shop as well as a few small displays - nice place to stop and cool off after all the walking!!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was something we saw on the way to Tybee Island that interested us. We love to go to zoos and have visited most every one we've come across. While this is not a classic zoo, it does have a lot of native animals in a very natural habitat. We did not see the cougar/puma/mountain lion and assume it was sleeping. Other than that, we did see everything else. The bobcats were frolicking about with great energy. One would hide and ambush the other two repeatedly. The wolves were running about and the foxes, though not as close, put on a playful display.

At only $5 per person, it was well worth it and the full trip takes you over a salt marsh and is about 2 miles total with plenty of shade, a rustic home site and a pond to feed fish and turtles. The staff was friendly and helpful, as was everyone on our Tybee/Savannah visit.

1  Thank knucklebusted