“Love”

Ranked #16 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located 15 minutes southeast of downtown Savannah, this is an environmental education center where you can learn about local wildlife and native plants.There are lots of programs for children.
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We just left. We loved it. Still want to see a bear though. But it was a great time with the family.

There are newer reviews for Oatland Island Wildlife Center

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I love Oatland Island! I took my kids aged 4 and 6 there and we has a blast! It is beautiful and they have some awesome animals with great viewing areas for them. It felt like we were in a hike in the woods. There are some beautiful boardwalks too. I highly recommend it if you are traveling to the Savannah area!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This wildlife center has a dozen stations or so set up along a couple mile walk. A couple of them were closed for repairs (the black bear and alligator). On colder days you may not see all the animals, but we went on a warmish day. The only animal we did not see was the cougar. You could get pretty close to most animals, on par with most zoos but the enclosures were more natural looking which was nice. They had some nice birds of prey, some farm animals, and then wolves, bison, a red fox, and three young bobcats who played the entire time we watched them. That alone made my wife very happy. The rest of the animals were not very lively. The red fox was a little skittish so approach his enclosure quietly. None of the other animals seemed too concerned about the presence of people. An added bonus was a couple of homes on site from the 18th century.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I've gone to Oatland Island with my children and friends for many years, enjoying the nature walks, the natural setting of the woodlands, the animals (seeing them in the wild AND the ones kept for petting), but I love their festivals best. Each year they have an autumn festival (check the dates because it changes year to year), a Sheep-to-Shawl event, as well as Halloween in a lovely natural setting for the children plus things like the Fairy & Gnome festival I'm looking forward to. The autumn festival is a family favorite: set in the midst of the woods, ride on the hay wagon to the site or take a walk through moss-hung trees to the open ground with 18th century cabins, cane-juice boiling to make syrup, cornbread & biscuits baking over hot coals, the crunch of autumn leaves underfoot and live folk music fills the air. There are always interesting displays of local weavers spinning and carding wool, weaving on the great loom, wood-carvers, beekeepers with natural honey products, delicious food cooked over open fires, and of course, the wonderful scent of cane-juice boiling to make their cane syrup, bottled for you to take home,as well as apple butter cooking in a big pot. The surrounding woods make a relaxing background, with plenty of nature-walk trails to enjoy, and there are live animals, well cared for and fenced near the big house, for kids to pet. At the big house is a shop, bathrooms, and information on the island--you can rent the house or grounds for weddings and parties as well. If you have toddlers, take advantage of Toddler Tuesday, a program designed to introduce toddlers to the natural world through walks, crafts, songs and more and is fun for moms too!

1  Thank Heart_of_Imladris
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I didn't know about Oatland Island for the longest time, but was very excited to find out we had this little island of animals hidden away on the way to Tybee.

Though we went in the summer, and it was scorching out, we still had a pleasant experience. A lot of the animals were hiding from the heat, but it made it fun to try and find them. The staff does a really great job of creating natural-looking habitats for the animals, and I love that you get to walk through a forest to get to them, going through trails and such.

My favorite exhibit was the wolves, as I think they're really beautiful creatures, and I also liked all the farm animals they had in the middle of the island.

If you're in Savannah, definitely check this place out on your way to Tybee, and it's probably the best thing to do in the city with kids. There's also a picnic area to have lunch.

If you go in the summer, go early and bring bug spray!