“Worth a look around”

Ranked #45 of 210 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Located in Madison Square, this was the headquarters of General Sherman after he occupied Savannah in 1864.
Houston, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worth a look around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

This was a tour recommended by our tour guide Bobby. After his tour concluded, we went back and walked through the Green-Meldrim House. It was well kept and is still used as a parrish house today. We enjoyed learning about the original owners and the time that General Sherman spent there during the War.

Visited December 2011

Springfield, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“energetic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

staff tag team while giving energetic detailed background & methods of research, decor selection, family & house history

Visited November 2011
1 Thank lin e
New Jersey
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

The Green-Meldrim House only opened recently to the public and all of my childhood I walked by knowing that something really interesting must be inside. Imagine my pleasure at seeing the interior after forty years of waiting. The place is magnificent, one of the most ostentatious interiors in Savannah. Expect to see ornate plaster, silver servant bell-pulls by the fireplaces, and huge, gilded mirrors. Not to be missed!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank lws4
Statesboro, Georgia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“SERIOUSLY HAUNTED!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

I went to one of the ghost hunting tours tonight at the sorrel-weeds house, which is almost right next door to this house. We got there a lil early, and just so happened to park right next to this place. We got out and started walking around to see what we could see. And well, the first place that really caught my eye was this house! It was just so pretty, but looked so creepy. So i decided to take a picture and to my surprise, i caught my first orb on camera. I thought it was really funny how the first pic i took actually had 2 orbs in there. So after the tour of the sorrel house was over, i walked back by this place to check it out one last time, and i decided to take another pic. This time i stuck my hand and camera thru the fence to get a closer up of the house. When i did, i seen 2 orbs again. So i decided to do it again, right after the last one, and i got like 8 orbs in one pic! So i done it again, and i got like 5. Then i heard something near the house like it was walking or something and i got freaked out and walked back to the car. I wish i could go inside of this one at night!!! I wish i could upload the pics right now just to show you!

Visited October 2011
4 Thank Felicia B
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Beautiful House!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

We just happened to come upon the house which has limited touring days and hours.

It was well worth the money and time. Our tour guide - Dottie - gave us the tour downstairs and was SUPER knowledgeable of everything she told us. I wish she gave the tour upstairs.

I won't go into the history of the house & all the things Dottie told us. It is beautiful and well worth your time and money to tour the mansion.