“Rude people and ugly house inside”

Davenport House Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$35.00*
and up
History and Architecture Tour of Savannah
Ranked #27 of 225 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: Federal-style home of master builder Isaiah Davenport restored to its early 19th century beauty. Owned and operated by Historic Savannah Foundation.
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Beth the cashier was rude and acted like we were bothering her by coming to tour the house. And I do have to agree with everyone else- the wall paper was so cheesy. I understand the concept of the brick design, but they must have bought this on sale. Reminds me of something you would see in a school or a daycare. Between Beth the cashier that is angry and rude and the ugly house..... Spend your time elsewhere.

2  Thank Photogal4
DHDirector, Manager at Davenport House Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2011

We have spoken with our employee on your motivation.
As for our wallpaper, please understand that our interpretation is based on history and what people had in the 1820s. Please see Adephi Wallper Hangings, LLC which is the company that sells the wallpaper we purchased. It provides a terrific lesson in historic wallpapers which you might enjoy. Reproduction wallpapers are expensive and were recommended by scholars to be accurate to the time the Davenports lived in the house.
Jamie Credle, Director, Davenport House Museum

"enjoyable tour"
"interesting history"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed February 11, 2011

I have been a docent for historical houses in both Chicago and San Francisco. This house is part of the historical society in Savannah so I was really looking forward to seeing it. It is also part of the National Historic Trust.

We entered through a store to buy tickets for the tour. I had my National Historic Trust Membership Card out to purchase the tickets at the NHT discount. The clerk looked at the card and said "we don't take that." I pointed her to the sign on her cash register that offered the reduced charge and she repeated again that she did not take it. So I started to pay the full price and asked her one more time and then she said "oh that!" and gave us the discount.

While we waited 20 mintues for a tour, we saw a sign in the lobby asking for visitors to write a review on Trip Advisor. So - I am -

The house is really wonderful and beautifully kept up - but the tour guide really didn't know anything at all about the house other than a few comments she made here and there. She constantly said "I don't know but I can check" to questions or comments.

I am not sure how to avoid this, but would suggest maybe calling ahead to see if you can get a guide who has been trained.

1  Thank Bensus
DHDirector, Manager at Davenport House Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

Thank you for your visit and saying that the house is wonderful. The 55 volunteer docents, 12 staff docents and 25 junior interpreters who give tours believe this as well. They love this house and give their time to show it the public.

Our docents attend 10 hours of course work then audits tours with veteran tour guides before giving their clearance tour with a staff person - all before being scheduled to give tours to the public. We have always prided ourselves on our docents' commitment to the house's interpretation and hospitality. It is regretful that you had an unhappy time.

It is the administration's fault that your docent said "I don't know but I can check" since we ask them not to make up an answer but to try to find the answer. Did you find out the answer to your question when the docent checked? At some historic sites, docents will make up answers - we prefer they check the documentation. And of course we say to them - since it is the truth - there are more quesions than there are answers.

Our tours are given ever half hour so if you had to wait 20 minutes it was because you arrived in between tours. Many of the other houses in Savannah have the same schedule. We have a lovely garden and materials in the lobby to look at. We hope you availed yourself of those materials.

Please know if and when you return to the area we would be delighted to give you a complimentary tour with our best docent.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

I am astounded at the lack of taste and knowledge among the general public. If they would take the time to acquaint themselves with the architecture and decor of the period, they would realize just how superb the restoration of the Davenport House truly is. While I tend to let personal taste sometimes cloud my vision, as a student of the Arts of the Nineteenth century - I am more than qualified to "pass judgement" on the work done at this beautiful restoration ........... and it is SUPERB. The vast amount of research which was done beforehand is evident in every facet of work, from the exterior facade - to the interior historic block printed wall coverings, floor cloths, fabric selections, plastering, woodgraining, etc.. This house is an accurate window on life in America in the 1820-30 period. Bravo - to the staff and experts who helped to make this one of the finest house museums in the country! - and ................. Thank you!

2  Thank Johntique
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I agree with others who have said that the tour guides were awful. I have been on many historic tours and this was the absolute worst. The tour guide was mean to people. She would randomly point to things in the house and say she didn't know what they were. She had to read from a script as soon as the tour started. She said "Um" probably 1,000 times. I wanted to ask for my money back. The house was not appealing inside at all. If you want to go on a great tour of a house, go to Laura Plantation outside of New Orleans. It was probably the best tour of a house I have ever done. The tour guide knew the answer to every question he was asked.

1  Thank beardoctor

Museum administration emailed this responder through TripAdvisor for the date and time of this disappointing experience with no repsonse. The reveiw has no ring of truth for us but we would have gladly returned his admission and spoken to the employee (or volunteer) if he had made the effort while at the museum. The 55 volunteer docents, 12 staff docents and 25 junior interpreters who work here are to a person delightful people who love this house museum. They have all been trained through coursework and an clearance tour.
As to our room exhibits, the house is intended to interpret the 1820s - which definitely must not be your taste.
If you are ever back in town we would be happy to give you a free tour with our best docent.
Jamie Credle, Director, Davenport House Museum