“Rude and dreadful service”
Review of The Pirates' House

$22.00*
and up
Savannah's Historic Grave Encounters Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This 18th-century bar was a rendezvous point for pirates.
Reviewed December 28, 2005

They should tape a regular day at The Pirate’s House and make a training video titled “How not to treat your customers.” From the first minute you walk in, you have the feeling that you are imposing and wasting their time. The hostess can’t care less you are dead or alive, the waiter wants you out of his life and the food is average. So much for a historic place that markets itself on atmosphere and charm. Maybe they try to recreate the long gone era when only rude drunken sailor patronize the place……

4  Thank Pierre99
Write a ReviewReviews (1,277)

Reviewed July 26, 2005

This place has neat history... but it is VERY crowded, our family of four hardly had room for our glasses and plates. We ordered an appetizer that came out on this huge plate, but all it looked like was 2 chinese egg roll type things cut in half. I almost couldn't wait for the waitress to leave before I started laughing in amazement. Our dinner for 4 ended up costing us $95 including the tip. The tunnels are neat to see... but the food and atmosphere are not that great. We have a 4&7 year old in our family, and it was just too fancy for them. Their water was served in wine glasses, classical music was playing in the background, and I kept having to tell them to SHHHHHH!!! It was not the most enjoyable experience!

4  Thank teknoturtl
A TripAdvisor Member
Clemson, SC
Reviewed July 25, 2005

No Southern hospitality at this over-rated restaurant! Hostess was luke-warm at the best and waitress was down right rude the entire meal. Water glasses were dirty and streaked with what looked like dried shrimp shell pieces. Bread plates were just as dirty with stuck, dried food. People dining next to us waited, with 2 young children, 25 minutes for drinks (iced tea). Food was average but small portions for the price. (8 small over-Fried Shrimp and Fries, NO salad or other side offered $21.00). Paper placemats encourage you to ask your server about the history and ghostly experiences the establishment advertises it is famous for. One customer in our dining room asked a waitress (a different waitress than served us) for tips on menu items and general questions about the place. She was impatient and unfriendly. We got better food, true Southern hospitality, and top notch service at Denny's for less than 1/2 the price! Don't waste your time waiting in line or bother with reservations at this place.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 13, 2005

In all of our dining experiences, this was by far one of the WORST meals we have ever had. The food was mediocre (and overpriced), at best, but the completely and utterly dismal customer service was what ultimately ruined the experience.

Upon arriving at 1:45 PM on a Saturday, we waited 15 minutes for a table even though there appeared to be very few customers in the restaurant. We were seated in the Captain's Room where there were two other parties already dining. After 15 more minutes went by and we hadn't seen our waiter, both tables commented to us that their meals had been horrible and their waiters had been missing in action for most of the time. We flagged another waiter down and asked if we could order drinks, and she said she would notify our server.

Our waiter came and took our drink orders and we opted for the buffet (for $13.95, not including drinks or dessert). The buffet consisted of a variety of deep-fried/greasy food, which was palatable, but not impressive. It took 10 minutes to get our drinks (we already had gotten our food by then), and our waiter did not come back until we were so exasperated we were ready for our check. The other two tables had problems with their waiters (both different from ours), who brought one table's food to them cold (and incorrect), and the other table needed refills and wanted dessert but ended up just putting money on the table and walking out.

My husband wanted fresh lemon and some cornbread (which was supposed to be complimentary), but we never received either. We had to go track down someone to retrieve our bill, and even then someone other than our waiter delivered it because we were told he was "on a break". (???)

The bathroom was broken while we were there and they had the ladies' room closed off (even though there were three stalls and only one was out of order). No one thanked us for coming, and no one asked us how our meal was. The drink station was in the hallway just outside the room where we were eating, and our entire meal we could hear the very young, very loud staff covorting and laughing.

It was just an unpleasant experience. We won't be returning, and am sorry that we decided to give it a try, even though I'd seen the dismal reviews on this site prior to our visit. We've been to Savannah many times and just wanted to try a restaurant we hadn't been to before. Needless to say, we won't be going back.

6  Thank UNovelGirl
Reviewed April 15, 2004

My co-leader and I took a group of Jr. Girl Scouts to the Pirate's House over spring break. Group children's menu plates are $19--quite expensive for a child's portion. However, we'd heard a lot about The Pirate's House and it seemed like a fun place for us to splurge some of our hard-earned cookie money.So, several months prior to our visit to Savannah we had pre-ordered our dinners from the PH's group menu. When the first course for kids arrived, it was mixed fresh fruit, mainly grapes and apples. Kids entrees were all fast food, such as chicken fingers and pizza, and included what looked suspiciously like peas and carrots from a can. Also, we noticed the pizza there was identical to that sold by Schwan's. It was served with fries too. Dessert was a rather dry, mocha-flavored brownie slathered in chocolate sauce with vanilla ice-cream on top.For $25 (tip included), adults were given a drink (tea, soda), salad with balsamic vinigarette dressing, and choice of either a fried seafood or a "porterhouse," canned peas and carrots, and the aforementioned brownie. When the "porterhouse" arrived at my table, it had had grill marks but was topped with raisins and prunes. I thought, "How strange to put fruit on a steak!" When someone spoke up and asked the waitress about it, she informed us it was a "pork porterhouse," and not beefsteak. I asked her why, then, had they had asked us to specify how we wanted our "porterhouse" cooked since eating undercooked pork could make you ill? She replied that when cooking pork, rare "is just bearly done" medium is "done" and well done is "charred." I had ordered my pork loin (I refuse to call it a porterhouse) medium. Flavor-wise, it was mediocre, at best. My husband ordered his medium, too, but he said it was bearly edible, it was so dried out. A parent who ate the fried seafood platter said she could hardly eat it because the seafood items, particularly the oysters, just weren't cooked right.Since I don't drink sodas or tea, I ordered a bottled water and told the waitress I would pay for it myself since it wasn't included in the pre-paid plan. When I got the bill, the restaurant had charged me $4.50 for one 16 oz. bottle of spring water.As for atmosphere, the room where we were in was a private room, which was nice but it was quite dim (no windows) and decor-wise it more closely resembled an below-ground hotel dining room than a pirate's house.All that being said, if you are bound and determined to visit the Pirate's House with a group, I would suggest you avoid the group menu and try to order off the restaurant's main menu. Even though our dinners had drink, tip and dessert included, the variety and quality of the ingredients was not at all the same as the food I saw on the menu posted in the window of the Pirate's House. Have them seat you in the main part of the restaurant, too, if you want the "authentic" tavern atmosphere.As my co-leader and I found out the hard way, piracy is still alive and well at the Pirate's House so BEWARE.

10  Thank 1westiemom