“Disappointing dinner for the cost”
Review of The Pirates' House

The Pirates' House
Book In Advance
More Info
$80.00*
and up
Historical Drinking Tour of Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: This 18th-century bar was a rendezvous point for pirates.
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The shrimp dishes were decent but without seasoning. The she-crab soup was tasty. The broiled seafood platter was not good - rubbery scallops and unappetizing looking fish and oysters. Great historic building but dinner was rushed with entree arriving within 10 minutes of salads and soup.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,291)
All reviews
"interesting place"
"interesting history"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was a great atmosphere here. The tour kind of sucked and the food was ok but it was worth a trip! They did have the best bourbon pecan pie I had every had in my life.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Really enjoyed the building and interesting setting. I had the pecan chicken which is a signature dish for them and really enjoyed it. Service was for the most part good, a few slip ups but they were busy it was understandable.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I were in Savannah for an over night getaway, and I was really looking forward to dining at The Pirate House. We ate lunch there on a Wednesday afternoon and were both very disappointed. My husband had the lunch buffet which was just mediocre fried chicken, and some kind of crab/salmon cake and a menagerie of southern vegetables along with a complimentary dessert. My husband chose the banana pudding, and it was a tasteless glob of canned pudding. I opted for the fried shrimp and fries and it was nothing short of horrible. The shrimp as well as the fries tasted of old grease and there was actually a sizeable pool of grease on my plate underneth the shrimp, almost as if they hadnt even been drained before they were plated. Our waitress was very nice and helpful, and the biscuits and orange marmalade were very tasty, and the sweet tea was also very good. Overall , we left very disappointed and felt like we had wasted $40 on a really bad meal, which was very sad considering all of the other great seafood places along River Street that we could have tried and probably had a much better experience. I definitly do not recommend dining here.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stopped here to have an early dinner before our ghost tour with Old Savannah Tours (which happens to tour this building and the rum cellar beneath it!), and had a great time. It wasn't busy around 5PM, and our waitress was a delight. I believe her name was Kim, and she was very helpful in selecting our drinks and meals. She brought us complimentary biscuits and several spreads for them, and they were fantastic. The drinks we ordered came in souvenir mugs, and Kim let us choose the ones we liked best. We had the fried shrimp and the flounder, and both were absolutely delicious. Kim even offered to take a couple photos of us together! Our meal cost around $77, but we had expensive drinks in mugs we got to keep and two dinner entrees. Overall, it was lovely and we would be thrilled to go again!