“Not too bad”
Review of The Pirates' House

The Pirates' House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pirates' House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 870 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Bay St.
Description: The entire family is sure to enjoy Savannah's most intriguing & historic restaurant. At the Pirates' House, our most precious treasure is the food. Situated in Trustees Garden, merely a scant block from the Savannah River, the Famous Pirates' House is the most historic spot in Georgia. The Herb House, erected in 1734, located inside the Pirates' House, is said to be the oldest house in Georgia. The Pirates' House first opened in 1753 as an inn for seafarers and fast became a meeting point for blood-thirsty pirates & sailors. Enthusiastically recommended by AAA, Food & Wine and Redbook.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not too bad”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

First off, I had set up a reservation prior to coming through Open Table and when I showed up the hostess had told me that I would have to wait about 15 minutes. Luckily they had cleared a table so I didn't have to sit at the bar and didn't have to wait.
I chose to get the buffet, which for the price wasn't too bad (around $14). I had wanted lemonade which they had listed on the menu separately, but I was told that it was basically the "kiddie type" so I settled for sweet tea. The buffet wasn't too bad for the few items they had (chicken, fish, potatoes, beans, etc).
I must admit, I did leave stuffed from what I ate.
It's a nice place to "try" but also a place that once you do, you probably won't hurry back unless you're with others who also want to give it a try.

1 Thank DestinyStL

Jasper, Georgia
“Great place to eat!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was great and reasonably priced. The history is fascinating and the "pirates" will gladly give you a tour and give you all of the ghostly details.

• Visited April 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Must visit the Pirates' House”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

First off, the place is still standing after 100+ years! How cool is that! We had excellent service and the food was ah-mazing! Definitely try the fried green tomatoes!

Squaw Valley, California
“Child friendly without the "Chucke Cheese"ness”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Set only about 2 blocks from the river and River Street, this very old building looms with a pretty realistic pirate feel. In fact, up the street while walking to the restaurant we were stopped by a pirate who enchanted the kids with his accent and seemingly drunken slur (which may or may not have been a product from the night before!) He handed us a coupon for 20% off our meal and went about his way.
The interior is old, dark and dreary; filled with strange antique lamps and lighting fixtures, old china hung on the wall and many dining areas of all shapes and sizes fill the old house. Among the deep mahogany wood, brick fireplaces and sometimes crowded tables and chairs we experienced some of the best service! Our waiter was nothing short of regal! He had a presence of the past almost, with his tall frame and deep voice he efficiently sat, explained courses, took drink orders and brought the best dishes.
Pirates walked through dining areas quietly in search of children to surprise. They dressed the part and spoke in pirate accent and lingo, to the delight of the kids at our table!
Clean and kept restrooms, along with a large upstairs pirate den gift shop, where below is a rather large bar area.
Wonderful food, service and ambiance! We shall return.

2 Thank Kelly C
Houston, Texas
“Food was decent, reasonable tourist price”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My mom and I stopped in for a quick lunch, I live in savannah and had never been and thought it would be nice to try eating at a landmark. The food was good, I had shecrab soup which was creamy, sweet and crabby, and fried green tomatoes. I prefer cornmeal dipped FGT, these were flour battered but they were still yummy. Also the cornbread is sweet, which is another personal preference difference of opinion, but they had delicious, doughy biscuits that reminded me of the ones my grandma used to make from scratch for every meal. My mother had a crab sandwich, she said it was tasty and the crab didn't overwhelm the sandwich. She thought potato salad was mediocre, the dressing is a house speciality that they also supplied with the FGT, it has a strong vinegar taste. I would have liked it enormously on a salad, maybe even with French fries, but she didn't care for it paired with red potatoes.

The atmosphere is very nice. The restaurant is actually several buildings cobbled together over time. Each building or area is a separate dining room. We were seated in the back room of the original building. The buffet area is in what used to be a small yard between the original inn and a small brick building called the Herb House, where the caretaker of the savannah garden used to live, and the Herb House is its own dining room. The bathrooms are very nice with stone/tile floors, floor to ceiling stone/tile stalls and nice beaten copper sinks. They are small but one must remember that the area they are working with was small to begin with. One look at the herb house dining room makes you wonder how anyone could live in such a small space!

We didn't take any tours, or visit the bar or the gift shop. There are several "pirates" who walk around talking to children guests, or adults who call them over. They are tour guides whom you can hire to walk you around.

There is parking meter parking on the street in front if the pirate house, but it has its own parking lot. We parked on the street because we didn't know any better, but it was on the weekend and the meters are not enforced on weekends.

• Visited April 2013