“Not crowded, very interesting”

Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum
Ranked #35 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum houses a collection of models and paintings of historic ships.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We love maritime history. Wonderful place. Lots of ship replicas/models. And a lot of maritime items. Well done and volunteers around to answer questions. Near The City Market. Has nice gardens.

ShipsoftheSea, Events Assistant at Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for your review! We too like our location, gardens, and museum collection! We are so proud of our interpreters at the museum. They do such a wonderful job of providing information on the museum's collection and beyond! Glad you enjoyed your time here. Come back soon!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The exhibits are amazing. Each room has a theme (Civil War, Titanic, WWII) and the model ships are so detailed.

The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable and the history of the house and the exhibits.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

They have a fairly large collection which includes beautifully detailed models of historic ships. I love the wale tooth carvings and old ship artifacts section. The whole look and presentation of the museum is very high quality and professional. It might not be super exciting for kids, though.

Thank you, Andrea! We absolutely love the scrimshaw (whale tooth carvings) as well. Those sailors had to do SOMETHING to keep themselves entertained while out at sea. We're glad you enjoyed your time. Hope you come back soon!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was not much of a fan of maritime museums, but I greatly enjoyed this one. First, the location was great, right by city market, just a two block walk from stop 2 on the Old Town Trolley or if desired, the trolley stops in front (# 14). There is also a parking lot, so easy to get to. There was a garden that was nice and relaxing. I liked the scrimshaw and I like the bow sprits, so I admired all of them. It was kind of funny - the most MODEST one I had ever seen (wearing a sweater) totally cracked me up. I loved the cat on the upper floor. My husband loved the models and the staff told us stories that were fascinating. There were cool ships in bottles on the ground floor, and clean restrooms. There was a ship's "bridge" (aka wheelhouse) that I found interesting. I thought the price was right and am very glad we went.

Thank you so much for the kind review! We're glad you enjoyed your experience here, both in the gardens and the museum. Come back and visit us again!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

If you have some time, definitely walk around the wonderful garden adjoining this museum. It is a delightful little gem in the city, and you can walk right in for free. The museum itself has a fee, and it's rather steep for what is honestly a fair-but-not-amazing attraction. It's a nice building, and the exhibits include some interesting history, but unless you really really love model ships, you can probably find better ways to spend your time in Savannah for the same money.