“Very Interesting”

Ranked #21 of 166 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The city's oldest cemetery, with family plots dating back to the 1700s.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I very much enjoyed my time at the Colonial Cemetery. Very educational and it seemed rather spiritual. There is a wall of headstones there. Those headstones were torn away from the ground by Sherman's men during the civil war. They even changed some of the dates and names. Lots of interesting stories. I do recommend reading and researching the cemetery before going or going with a tour guide. I was lucky enough to have my on tour guide. One of my oldest friends is a GA history teacher, so I got lots of great information. Oh yeah, don't pay to park on Sunday. At least that's what the locals told us. We parked and didn't pay and were fine.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,591)
All reviews
in 295 reviews
"gwinnett"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We first visited this cemetery during our "Beyond Good and Evil" tour with Ghost City Tours. That tour started at Colonial Park Cemetery at night. Because it was after 8pm, the cemetery is closed. Apparently, the cemetery used to open in the evenings until animal sacrifices were discovered as part of some kind of voodoo rituals. What our tour guide told us about Colonial Park Cemetery is that after the American Revolution (not sure if I have the timeline right), soldiers would get drunk and mess with the tombstones - changing women's names to men's names, dates of birth and death, etc. Good times back then. Anyway, people were buried here starting in the 1750's and burials stopped about 100 years later due to overcrowding. Many of the people buried here died from the Yellow Fever epidemic (some of them not necessarily fully dead yet-yikes!). I was so interested in the cemetery that I dragged my partner back with me the next day! Lots of names are illegible from weathering and age but what I could read was fascinating. This cemetery has all the earmarks of a true, Southern, gothic spot - with the worn out epitaphs, some broken, and the Spanish moss everywhere that Savannah is so famous for. If you're a photographer (even an amateur one) this place is ripe for the picture taking!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Visiting Cemeteries isn't what I call fun, but it was great to learn the rich history of this particular Cemetery. I

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a unique place to visit. Union soldiers camped here during the CIvil War and rearranged the tombs and even carved incorrect information into some headstones. Not to be missed if you are a history lover or a cemetery lover.