“Don't go in unless you've read the book”

Mercer Williams House Museum
Ranked #25 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This home and museum is now open for tours - but don't ask them about the "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" book or movie.
Cranford, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Don't go in unless you've read the book”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

It's all about the book, and selling the book, and talking about the movie. It was interesting, but for myself and my husband, who never read In the Garden of Good and Evil, the other tourists laughed at us because apparently you should only go there if you've read the book. We went to see the history of the house, and to hear what Williams had done for the history of the Savannah homes. Not worth the amount you paid for tickets.

2 Thank SuebeeHomer

attleboro, ma
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Interesting House Tour”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

If your a big fan of the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil this is a must see. The house where Jim Williams lived is open for tours and there is lots to see and hear about. I have read the book and seen the movie so it was interesting to tour the house. Even if you haven't seen the movie I would recommend the tour as there is lots to see!

Boston
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Not quite what I had hoped for after reading the book”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

If you have read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," you know the story of Jim Williams and Mercer House. While it was very interesting to see the house and do the tour, I was a little disappointed with 2 things. The first was how the tour guide made Mr. Williams out to be this wonderful person and collector. The tour guide explained Mr. William's acquittal for murder in a way that made it seem like Mr. Williams was completely innocent. The guide also made sure to point out a couple pictures of Mr. Williams posing with women, and not very much acknowledging the real truth about Mr. Williams's dating preferences. Second, I was disappointed that the tour was limited to only part of the first floor of the house. Apparently Mr. Williams's niece still lives there so the kitchen was not open for us to take a peek, and we weren't allowed upstairs due to a fire code regulation, so we couldn't see the organ or more of Mr. Williams's collection.

In the end, I just felt like it is a historical place and the guide didn't stay true to history throughout the tour. It was more to glamorize Mr. Williams and his family. I was underwhelmed but still glad to have taken the tour.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank KidFreeToday
montgomery village MD
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Would have liked to see more.”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I read the book many years ago and in fact was my reason for going to visit Savannah. So I suppose it was inevitable to visit this property. It is a beautiful house, beautifully restored and furnished. The guide was friendly and knowledgeable. It would have been nice to see more of the house, esp. for the price. We were told we couldn't go upstairs because of fire regulations which seemed rather bogus since we'd been to second floors in other houses. Why not be straight and just say: the owner lives upstairs?

3 Thank levermontois
Dover, Florida, United States
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Very interesting tour.”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Lots of really nice antiques in this house. Interesting story!!
Our guide was very sweet and knowledgeable.