“Beautiful”

Ranked #4 of 217 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bonaventure Cemetery was developed on the historically-significant site of Bonaventure Plantation. The peaceful setting rests on a scenic bluff of the Wilmington River, east of Savannah. The site was purchased for a private cemetery in 1846 and became a public cemetery in 1907. Citizens and others can still purchase interment rights in Bonaventure. This charming site has been a world famous tourist destination for more than 150 years due to the old tree-lined roadways, the many notable persons interred, the unique cemetery sculpture and architecture, and the folklore associated with the site and the people. The entrance to the cemetery is located at 330 Bonaventure Road and is the largest of the municipal cemeteries containing nearly 100 acres. The cemetery is open to the public daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. . The main office of the Department of Cemeteries is located in the Bonaventure Administrative Building at the entrance.
Longboat Key, Florida
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

When I die, I want to be buried here. An amazing place to walk around and view the beautiful monuments. I have been with a guide once and by myself once. I loved being with a guide because they explained the meaning of some of the monuments. But, I believe with a little research beforehand, this could be a great place to go and understand the history of it. Amazing

Rittman, Ohio
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Second trip just as intriguing ...”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My first visit to Bonaventure was in July 2011. I spent hours in the cemetery in both visits, discovering new places this time around ... I feel peace at this cemetery, even though there are some creepy stories about it. TAKE YOUR CAMERA or you will regret it!

Wharton, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Serene and surreal”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I don't know what I was expecting, but it was not was I thought.. just different... I went with the intention of taking tons to pics of all the angel statues. I tried to get a tour, but tours are very limited and you need to make reservations. I was there on a Sat. morning and felt safe. I met up with an elderly gentlemen who was tending to his family plot. He told me where he would be laid to rest and how his father bought the plot for 12 family members for $40 in 1914. He was a southern gentleman, and I enjoyed our conversation. The office has a print out that is difficult to read of the lay out of the cemetery, but it useless because you don't know what is of interest. If you are going, do a little research if you don't pay for a tour. I just wanted to take some pics and I did get some beautiful shots. By the way, the girl with the bird in hand, made famous by the movie is no longer in the cemetery. She is in the Telefair Museum because people apparently were chipping at the statue! Really?

1 Thank Mssmith717
Succasunna, New Jersey, USA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Died and went to heaven”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is a wonderful cemetery to visit. There is so much history. I would suggest taking a tour so you don't miss out on the stories behind many of those buried here. A must see in Savannah.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Judith G
Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful Artsy Cemetery”
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Had a great time. The headstones and moseliums are gorgeous. Remember to take a few bottles of water if you are planning on walking very far.