“All I Can Say Is "WoW"”

Ranked #2 of 220 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The oldest Roman Catholic church in Georgia.
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I grew up Catholic and attended Mass as I traveled. We did not plan it but ended up attending Mass as St. John and was amazed at the grandeur and opulence inside and out. Mass was a blessing and the Church is a true sight to see.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,332)

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Beautiful Church. It was pointed out on one of the trolley tours I went on and I was able to go inside and get some pictures of it. Hidden in town and a mile + walk from Bay St and the Historic district. If you do a trolley tour and want to visit, avoid Sunday morning, as there is mass that takes place. Definitely packed for church as well if you choose to go!

Architecture is beautiful, the details are wonderful. Definitely something to see while in Savannah, religious or not.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was one of our favorite stops in Savannah. I was not expecting what we saw inside of this church. The architecture and stained glass is beautiful. You just don't see buildings like this very often in the south. It was definitely worth our time!!!!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

When you walk into this Cathedral you will stop and catch your breath for sure. The truly amazing history and beauty of this church is a MUST see on your trip to Savannah. I am so glad we got the chance to go inside to walk around and view the amazing beauty of this church and to hear some of the guides tell us of the history behind it. It was so peaceful and calm inside and the ladies there were very willing to let you know of the history. Picture taking was allowed and we got some breath taking photos to show our family at home. We recommend that you make this a must visit on your stop in Savannah. The inside is just as amazing as the outside.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

What a beautiful cathedral! I haven't visited many in the United States and the architecture was astounding. What a grand piece of history right in the heart of savannah. I am not sure about the hours when it is open to the public. I think most times when a mass is not taking place. Of course visitors are welcome to attend mass, but they discourage tourism during those times as it interrupts the service.