“Beautiful Church”

Ranked #2 of 210 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The oldest Roman Catholic church in Georgia.
Massachusettes
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Beautiful Church”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We loved it so much that we became members even though we live almost an hr away. The paintings and statues are breathtaking.

Visited November 2012

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Cathedral”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Beautiful, with marvelous stain glass throughout the cathedral and an enormous pipe organ in the loft.

Visited October 2012
Inverness, Florida
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Unbelievable Cathedral”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The inside is so fantastic you would have to see it to believe it. The stain glass windows, the construction of the inside

Visited July 2012
South Carolina
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Breathtaking!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went on a trolley ride and this was one of the stops. The cathedral is absolutely beautiful. My husband and I were in awe. If you are planning a trip to Savannah, be sure to put this on your "must do" list.

Visited November 2012
Round Lake, Illinois
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Cathedral of St. John the Baptist: Simply Stunning”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I had read about the cathedral in a travel book. Savannah granted permission for construction in 1799 for a small church to be built to accommodate its increasing population of Irish immigrants. The cathedral standing today was dedicated in 1876. At one point in Savannah’s history, Catholicism was banned. I was intrigued so I added it to our site-seeing list. I thought if we were in the neighborhood and had the time, we should stop in. OMG! We stopped in, and I am so glad we did. It is stunning! I didn’t think there was that kind of interior church decoration in the U.S. The cathedral was tastefully washed in shades of blue, gold, cream, and burgundy. The attention to detail within the cathedral was marvelous; I had a very peaceful feeling inside its walls. If you are in Savannah and enjoy church interiors, do not miss this one. Check out their website for details. There is no entry fee.

Side note: My sister and I took the Savannah Movie Tour, and our driver stopped at the cathedral for 10 minutes to let us go inside.

Visited June 2012