“Kids had fun and the food was pretty good”

Blowin' Smoke Southern Cantina
Ranked #166 of 908 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Southwestern, Barbecue, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Blowin' Smoke Southern Cantina is a Savannah original, serving up in-house pecan-smoked BBQ, sandwiches, tacos, creative cocktails and more, all with a Southwestern influence. Join us on the patio or in our open air dining room Tuesday through Sunday! Conveniently located just a few blocks from the Historic District, on Habersham Street.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Service can make or break a meal. I have had enough restaurant experiences (good and bad) to know that. Well here was another great example of how the service of a restaurant made it stand out, even with average food. Not to say the food was bad at all, but nothing stood out from what I can do at home. We dined outside, where there was a bean bag toss that the kids enjoyed. The food, as stated, was average. I had heard better reviews and thought to expect better, so I was slightly disappointed. But that also depends on the type of barbeque you like. I am not a fan of ribs that are not sauced during the cooking process. I understand some people may like it that way, but I don't. The fried mushrooms were ok. My daughter thought the beef ribs were decent, but thought the huge bone left over was pretty hilarious. But the service is what stood out. Our waitress was very attentive to our requests and orders. If only for the service I would eat here again.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I went today for lunch with a group of ladies including my mother. I had eaten at Blowing Smoke in their previous location on MLK and it was great. Since their move to this current location on Habersham the food has gone downhill. I ordered the Taco Salad - house made tortilla bowl stuffed with mixed greens, pico de gallo, red onions, queso fresco and avocado. If queso fresco is supposed to be cheese then there was none. I asked for the Caribbean Chicken to be added for an extra $3. I was completely disappointed. The tortilla shell was thick and greasy, tons of greens, tasteless chicken, tasteless pico de gallo and no avocado. Had to ask the server for the avocado and he brought in a separate bowl. Very disappointing meal. Service was okay but the food is a waste of money. I will never go again. Building is a converted garage with the glass bay doors. Patio area deck was in the process of being built. Savannah has a lot of other restaurants that are much better than this. And the parking lot is a grassy lot. A total disappointment overall.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

The new location is very nice and will get even better as the weather gets cooler as the outside area is very nice. The menu is an interesting mix of tex mex and BBQ. Had the burrito with pulled pork which was great and wife had the blackened pineapple which was very good. Pricing is decent and service was good. We will be back

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have eaten at several restaurants owned by this group and has always been outstanding....however this place is a disaster. We went on a Sunday afternoon...service was fine..friendly wait staff...BUT the food. I had the special of the day...a pork belly. Taco with pineapple, mango and jalapeño salsa. When served it was a huge flour tortilla with 3 or 4 very small ...fingernail size...pieces of pork, couldn't taste any salsa but stuffed with a lot of lettuce. The taco consisted of flour tortilla and lettuce...for my side, I chose plantains, they were in edible...old, over cooked, dry and greasy. My husband had the brisket platter..it was a few slices of beef that were more fat than meat..side of Mac and cheese was a small square of Mac and cheese that had been breaded...lots of breading..and deep fried. It was dry and tough. No pork ribs Only beef
Blowing smok on MLK was so good. How. Has this happened?....

1  Thank John D
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I'd heard a lot of good things about this restaurant from friends who love smoked BBQ, so my son and I decided to try it on a warm, hungry, early evening in June. Pretty easy to find, just follow your nose! The scent of that smoky meat alone will draw people in! We came in just as a bunch were leaving so there was no wait, and we were seated inside near the bar. Our waiter was a tall, young guy who seemed kinda hesitant about what he was doing there--I had to ask 3 times for lemon with my water; ended up getting it from a friendly waitress who was passing through the dining room with a iced pitcher. After we had ordered, the waiter brings me 2 limes--in his hand! My son, who has worked in many restaurants, was horrified! I said, well, I can only hope the food is good....let me say, right away, IT WAS GREAT! I ordered the Blackened Pineapple Salad--though the pineapple was more lightly grilled than blackened--and it was fresh and quite tasty, especially with the chili-lime vinaigrette--you can also add beef, pork, chicken, tofu, bean cake or shrimp to it for a very reasonable price, but we just wanted it as an appetizer. I'm glad we halved it and saved some room, because the sandwiches were huge! Wow! You can see from my photos, the buns were very nice, golden, squared yeast rolls (the manager told me they were made fresh in-house), the smoked pork was succulent, very tasty and tender, and the coleslaw on top was good, not too heavy on the mayo, and complimented the flavor of the meat well. My son had the smoked beef brisket, which he let me taste, and I made sure to note how really delicious it was so I could order it next time. Again, a large portion of smoky beef, thick cut, piled high on their fresh golden bun--can't go wrong with this one! Each sandwich came with one side: mine was fried plantains, which if you've never had them, well, please give them a try! Plantains are something like bananas, but more firm, and have a juicy flavor rather similar to pineapple--these were light pan-fried and golden, just really good! My son had the collard greens, which, with the chunks of smoky meat cooked with them, were of excellent texture, not at all overcooked and just FULL of flavor! We were just too full for dessert! This place is very informal, fun and a bit crowded, with a underlying Latin theme both in the paintings on the floor and wall, and with certain items on the menu such as tostones (fried green plantains), quesadillas and carnitas(roasted pork chunks--superb!), but the over-all theme is GREAT BBQ, smoked and flavored just right, piled up and served with delicious sides and plenty of great beers to choose from. We were VERY satisfied! I did let the manager know about the waiter's forgetting us, and about his faux pas with the limes (uh, use a plate next time, dude! Ew!), and she was also amazed and said she would take care of it. I trust she will, cuz she seems like a friendly, but tough sorta lady, who knows how to keep the place running well and in order. Yes, we WILL be back! Soon!

1  Thank Heart_of_Imladris