“Food was good, server was blah”

Blowin' Smoke Southern Cantina
Ranked #166 of 897 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Southwestern, Barbecue, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Blowin' Smoke Southern Cantina is a Savannah original, serving up in-house pecan-smoked BBQ, sandwiches, tacos, creative cocktails and more, all with a Southwestern influence. Join us on the patio or in our open air dining room Tuesday through Sunday! Conveniently located just a few blocks from the Historic District, on Habersham Street.
Reviewed March 5, 2012

There were 5 of us that went Sunday around 1PM for brunch. The restaurant was not busy at all. Our server, and I forgot her name, was the most blah person I have ever met in my entire life! It was like we were a bother to her to be there. The food was really good except for the mushrooms. They were way too big and tasted mealy and old, so I would not recommend getting those. The brisket was very yummy as was the pulled pork, and I highly recomment hte fried pickles!

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I have really enjoyed this restaurant before. I've gone several times with girl groups for festive mojitos and aps as well as with couples for main course fare - always yummy with prompt attentive service. Tonight was different.

Tonight (March 2), we had called ahead for a table of 6 and were told we'd have to wait but that we could be accomodated. So we drove downtown - no problem. From our past experience, we've sometimes had to wait to get seated which is fine for a fun night out.

We got there and the hostess told us that they they couldn't really accomodate us from just a phone call and that parties of six would be hard to make happen. We had called ahead about being a party of six and because it was Friday night, we understood the chances might be slim to get a table but they had told us they could make it happen. So, I got upset and told her we wouldn't have driven in if we couldn't have been seated. She was very apologetic and got us a seat and I got the feeling she wasn't the one who answered the phone. She was very nice.

Our waiter, on the other hand, was a complete not nice person (tripadvisor said my choice of words was considered profanity). After waiting 15 minutes for a MENU, he dropped them in front of us, told us he "hated us," and kept telling us that things we wanted they didn't have anymore to drink. To be fair, it was a busy night and I know folks can be overwhelmed.

However, instead of coming back a few minutes later, he came back to visit with a 2 top two tables away. I tried to get his attention but he decided he'd rather spend his time drinking a mixed drink at the two top. I noticed the hostess come to get him to pick up some food from the kitchen. Honestly, I felt like he might have had plans to leave early from work and did not want to wait on us.

He successfully drove us away. I have not had this experience anywhere before.

For reference, he was a slim 25-ish guy with dark hair and a wannabe Buddy Holly eyeglasses thing going on. Our cordial group was a bit thrown back and didn't want to deal so we left.

Totally bummed. Hope they will rid the waiter soon. This is a fun spot normally.

1  Thank BusyBeeVacations
Reviewed February 22, 2012

It's a fair hike by foot from the downtown core but an easy drive and worth the effort!!! We ate lunch there - we split a beer and each had our own delicious and terrific pulled pork sandwich with a couple of side dishes for less than $20. Really tasty pulled pork. The place isn't much to look at but it's pleasant enough. I got the impression it would be raucous at night. If you like southern BBQ this IS the place in Savannah.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Had high hopes for this BBQ place. The place is nice, it has a great smell of smoke when we walked in and is close to the Historic District.

I had ribs, coleslaw and beans. The ribs were tough, no smoke ring and the rub was very salty. The beans were very sweet and the coleslaw average. The sauce was average. My wife has the chicken sandwich which was chewy, but very generous with the filling. The bun was excellent as were the fries.

The service was very good.

I will go to Sticky Fingers for my next BBQ meal. Hopefully it is as good as the one in Charleston!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Bottles of wine on special every night for $20; great drinks including the Thai basil mule. The setting is an old gas station with outdoor seating and open doors in warm weather. Delicious soft tacos with unusual fresh ingredients. A special flavored humus every night with home made flat bread. Lots more imaginative entrees. And really affordable!